Gareth Southgate.

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 2343 likes

Re: Gareth Southgate.

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

It has to be an English person in charge IMHO

I don't like Southgqte much but given the paucity of alternative options it is probably better he stays in charge to the Euros
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OnePaulHilton
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by OnePaulHilton »

If he has to think about whether he wants the job, then he is not the man for the job.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1179 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Maybe too soon for him, but I reckon Rooney could be a good shout in a few years.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 734 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

swash wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:43 am Pochettino current bookies favourite.
can't see it after seeing him interviewed at the world cup, clearly misses the day to day of club management and regular games. england manager is part coach, part COO and part ceremonial monarch.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1483 likes
Total likes: 3063 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Even if Southgate has taken us as far as he can, he's taken us to a point where we could easily win the next tournament. We have been incredibly close, so a little bit of luck in a big game and suddenly we could win it.

As such, what point is there changing? Unless there is someone with such an elite winning mentality that they can hold onto what we have but, like Wiegman for the Lionesses, just add that winning touch, it feels change would be change for the sake of it.

Poch doesn't have that. I don't think Tuchel really does, either.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 914 likes
Total likes: 1902 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I don’t see that Poch had anything to qualify him for the England manager’s job.

Much rather Southgate carries on, if he wants to.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 »

If he were to leave, Rodgers suits in many ways. I actually think it makes a good match, although I disagree with The Guardian article calling him an upgrade, whilst I find the tone that suggests wanting an Englishman is "absurd" to be utterly foolish. It makes sense that the coach be of that nation, and whilst I understand why countries who havent got the kinda pathways, training or facilities might go foreign (although we have seen African nations thriving under coaches of their nationality), I really feel the major, established nations should include their own coaches as part of representing the nation.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 577 likes
Total likes: 523 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

smuts wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:17 pm I'd like him to stay, I get the feeling though he's going to call it a day. I don't he's forgotten the jeers in the 4 nil rinsing by Hungary...
Yes, people have short memories. That defeat by Hungary was absolutely abject. He should have gone then.
hammers92
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by hammers92 »

BondsoBob wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:43 pm Yes, people have short memories. That defeat by Hungary was absolutely abject. He should have gone then.
In a game that meant absolutely nothing.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1887 likes
Total likes: 1599 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

hammers92 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:02 pm In a game that meant absolutely nothing.
I think it meant something in the context of how pisspoor of a performance it was.......preceded by another load of pisspoor performances ...
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:55 pm I think it meant something in the context of how pisspoor of a performance it was.......preceded by another load of pisspoor performances ...
It’s a useless stick to beat the guy with. The criticism has to be fair and basing it on last summer when the players were clearly shagged out after one of the toughest seasons of fixture congestion, combined with having to play 4 games in a week for a pointless competition isn’t fair.

What happens in between international tournaments is noise imo. By all means make a criticism of how we did in Qatar, that’s what counts at the end of the day.
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Post by e17 »

Puff Daddy wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:12 pm I think he'll quit tomorrow
Well that’s just guaranteed he won’t
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

hammers92 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:26 pm It’s a useless stick to beat the guy with. The criticism has to be fair and basing it on last summer when the players were clearly shagged out after one of the toughest seasons of fixture congestion, combined with having to play 4 games in a week for a pointless competition isn’t fair.

What happens in between international tournaments is noise imo. By all means make a criticism of how we did in Qatar, that’s what counts at the end of the day.
why is it a useless stick ? were we the only country to have shagged out players, playing in useless tournaments ? if that was the case, why not use that game to experiment with some other players to see how they would do ?

the preceding performances were useless too, so imvho, we needed going into the WC some confidence or at the very least, some ideas as to who could fit in for who, were some or any of those players injured or otherwise going to the WC ?

I have said that I have some complaints with his in game management sometimes, but Southgate has got me interested in the national team once more, I really like the players we have irrespective of who that play for during the season. I also think he's a truly honest bloke who really gets the team together and his players genuinely seem to like the bloke. but you can't have it both ways. our performances in the Nation's Cup weren't great. if it is a useless meaningless tournament, use it to experiment. don't play the shagged out players. not like we don't have loads to choose from.

I wouldn't have cared if that were the case but in general it wasn't.
IronRhino
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 287 likes

Post by IronRhino »

I would be very surprised if he quits, if he does he will always feel it is unfinished business and if he stays I think we win the Euros.
Diogenes
Has liked: 428 likes
Total likes: 1131 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:56 pm It has to be an English person in charge IMHO

I don't like Southgqte much but given the paucity of alternative options it is probably better he stays in charge to the Euros
I personally do not care what nationality the Manager is provided he makes the best use of the talent we have and be tactically astute. The players won't care and neither will the supporter's if it ends in silverware.
hammers92

Post by hammers92 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:54 pm why is it a useless stick ? were we the only country to have shagged out players, playing in useless tournaments ? if that was the case, why not use that game to experiment with some other players to see how they would do ?
From memory, the likes of Bowen, Gallagher, Abraham and Guehi played. We were still halfway through our transition from a 5 at the back to 4-3-3 and where league managers get ample time, Southgate has 2 weeks maximum every few months to implement his ideas.

France’s results were also pretty rubbish before Qatar if I recall. Brazil went into the tournament the world’s best (results wise), and bottled it. My point is ultimately, everything between tournaments is never remembered or looked back on. Unless of course, you don’t qualify.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1975 likes
Total likes: 1464 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Would anyone here have him replace Moyes?
Wilko1304

Post by Wilko1304 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:54 pm why is it a useless stick ? were we the only country to have shagged out players, playing in useless tournaments ? if that was the case, why not use that game to experiment with some other players to see how they would do ?
I guess the issue with the anger around it was that it has since been proven pointless. People at the time talked about the games not mattering that much, being used as prep, and that they were unwanted and sandwiched in.

If that form had led us to a bad tournament, it would matter. But that didnt happen, so all the defence of it at the time has been proven right.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Wilko1304 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:58 pm I guess the issue with the anger around it was that it has since been proven pointless. People at the time talked about the games not mattering that much, being used as prep, and that they were unwanted and sandwiched in.

If that form had led us to a bad tournament, it would matter. But that didnt happen, so all the defence of it at the time has been proven right.
perhaps..

I think that EVERY international game matters.

some to a lesser extent obviously. but if you don't use them for something, what's the point in playing them ? either bin them off, take them completely seriously or use them to experiment.

we, like West Ham at times, can't decide on what formation we want to play, who works in the positions and who doesn't. iirc, Wilson wasn't selected in the other tournament, was selected in this one, then hardly used, and will be too old pretty much or injured again, for the Euros. again Bowen had a decent first appearance, wasn't great in his next game, but we could have changed any of the other forward line. he was hauled off at h-t iirc. why not persevere and taken off Sterling (if memory serves me correctly) because we weren't going to learn anything more about him than we already knew. this is just an example not me using Bowen it's only that's at least I think, as my memory serves me. we picked Toney, but never again, iirc, used him. or at a minimum. then binned him off.

as I say I really like what Southgate has brought to the table, but I have some questions as to what he does. and I'm not expert just thinking aloud. and when you as an international manager only get certain games with your team, you should use them all to maximise as much as you can with personnel, formations and who you can use if such and such a player becomes unavailable.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that France, Brasil or any of the others who got where they are/were tinkered with their formations, if any, then not much. whereas we can't really decide whether 4 or 5 works for us, whether we prefer to use a RB at LB, or Kyle Walker at RCB or RB. it's little things like this, and as I'm told so many times, it's fine margins.

I don't know what every other nation does all of the time, as I only really care about England but I take an interest in other countries if our players are turning out and I can watch them.

only my tupp'ence worth.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2903 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Hope he stays, but I think he will quit.

I don't think we have a better option currently available.

Eddie Howe would be my pick but the FA will be outbid by the Saudi's who would tell him not to lose his head and stay at Newcastle.