Gareth Southgate.

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Denbighammer
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Re: Gareth Southgate.

Post by Denbighammer »

We need a bright young English manager and two heads are better than one.

I'd give it to Lampard and Gerrard as joint managers. They could take it in turns to pick the side.
Polaroid
Has liked: 609 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Polaroid »

I want him to stay but if he chooses not to, I don't think it would be as bad as these things normally are.
Usually a manager is "changed" due to poor performances or results, not the case here.

There's no need for an immediate overhaul of the squad, maybe 1 or 2 phased out over the next couple of years due to age (should player performance dip) and a few phased in from the younger players on the fringes.

I think the FA will get a huge amount of high caliber managers knocking the door down to get the job.
An England squad+ has never looked so promising.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

So yet another near miss, that's three in a row, ain't it? Yet once again, we return home, empty handed, but we congratulate ourselves on a sterling effort on a damn, close run.thing. Around the training ground, we hear our own Paul Nevin, is a lovely man and his assistant, Steve Holland, a beautiful man, but nearly 60 years on from our last international success, the consensus of opinion is, he should carry on. Do we not stop to ask ourselves, if there is something wrong with our mentality, of continually accepting narrow failures ?
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2775 likes
Total likes: 602 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Puff Daddy wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:01 am So yet another near miss, that's three in a row, ain't it? Yet once again, we return home, empty handed, but we congratulate ourselves on a sterling effort on a damn, close run.thing. Around the training ground, we hear our own Paul Nevin, is a lovely man and his assistant, Steve Holland, a beautiful man, but nearly 60 years on from our last international success, the consensus of opinion is, he should carry on. Do we not stop to ask ourselves, if there is something wrong with our mentality, of continually accepting narrow failures ?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... rance.html
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 914 likes
Total likes: 1902 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I presume Powell said the same about the 12 previous incumbents then.

His piece has firmed up my opinion that Southgate is the best man for the job. When in doubt, check The Daily Heil and take the opposite view is a good rule of thumb.

‘Open doors… first half decent side’? France, the favourites, ‘half decent.’ The bloke’s a weasel.

On the other hand who wants the job when there’s c**** like Powell around to write about you? You know that if the penalty had gone in and we’d gone through he would have written a diametrically opposite piece. He probably had two versions written a la Boris depending on the result.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 324 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Harsh reality is that 2018 was not an opportunity for England to win anything. Twice beaten by Belgium, and in the end ground down by Croatia. France would have also beaten the 2018 England team. It might be in bad taste, but there was a easy path to the semi for England, and other managers would have failed out. Equally, coming within a penalty of winning England’s first major tournament in over 50 years (while also being in its first final in over 50 years) is not something to be sniffed at.

Truth is 1996 was a bigger failure, and if the correct decisions had been made in the quarter final, Spain would have played off with Germany in the semi. I get that this defeat will cause the first questions to be asked by the traditional loyalists of Southgate, but it’s breathtakingly arrogant to assume that success is only in winning prizes, which are madly competitive at international level.
Diogenes
Has liked: 428 likes
Total likes: 1131 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Sorry Doc, I find myself agreeing with everything Powell says in his report. It may be confirmation bias on my part, but it is difficult to disagree with anything he says. Southgate's inability to beat decent sides, France team was depleted, his subs, Maddison, 3 chances squandered etc. etc.

Unfortunately, being a nice and admired bloke doesn't necessarily make them good at their job. I put Southgate in the same category as a Bilic. Admired mostly for their niceness than their ability. Give me a git, better still a lucky git, who wins stuff any day of the week.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3124 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

I don't really understand the Maddison thing.

The squad was 26 players this year. Plenty of quality players travelled to the World Cup and came home again without playing a minute.

Maddison got to experience a World Cup after a concerted media campaign for him to go, but I don't think he was entitled to have a runaround for 5 mins at some point just to justify that campaign and he was clearly behind many others in the pecking order.

He certainly wasn't humiliated by not getting any time on the pitch.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1179 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:57 pm Would anyone here have him replace Moyes?
Absolutely not.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2775 likes
Total likes: 602 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Doc H Ball wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:56 am I presume Powell said the same about the 12 previous incumbents then.

His piece has firmed up my opinion that Southgate is the best man for the job. When in doubt, check The Daily Heil and take the opposite view is a good rule of thumb.

‘Open doors… first half decent side’? France, the favourites, ‘half decent.’ The bloke’s a weasel.

On the other hand who wants the job when there’s ***** like Powell around to write about you? You know that if the penalty had gone in and we’d gone through he would have written a diametrically opposite piece. He probably had two versions written a la Boris depending on the result.
So an experienced sports journalist who wrote a biography of Bobby Moore and delivered the eulogy at his funeral is a weasel because he writes for a newspaper you don’t like.
At least you’re keeping an open mind.

https://www.bitebackpublishing.com/authors/jeff-powell
Het-Field

Post by Het-Field »

fjthegrey wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:27 am Absolutely not.
Club and international demands are very different. While unfortunate to be let go by Boro at the time, that was 13 years ago, and since then his focus has been on the international stage.
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

He'd be absolutely mental to quit in my opinion.

This is the best job he will ever have, the best chance of winning something he'll ever have, the best group of players he'll ever get a chance to manage, the most widely respected position he will hold.

While he is still wanted, it'd be a crazy move to walk away.
S-H
Has liked: 5725 likes
Total likes: 9642 likes

Post by S-H »

He has no intention of walking away.

This is like the Girlfriend who threatens to leave, just so you give her more attention.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Incidentally, and I know it was only taken in isolation, but, I made Powell right about his Jude Bellingham comment
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 914 likes
Total likes: 1902 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Hammer.CA wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:30 am So an experienced sports journalist who wrote a biography of Bobby Moore and delivered the eulogy at his funeral is a weasel because he writes for a newspaper you don’t like.
At least you’re keeping an open mind.
There’s truth in that. It’s a good biography too.

But it was a while ago and Powell’s piece is littered with typical Mail speak about Bellingham (a real star of the tournament to just about everyone else) and saying England had ‘open doors’ and failed to beat ‘half decent’ sides when they’ve lost to a couple of the best teams on the planet thanks to penalty kicks is disingenuous nonsense. He’s writing for clicks.
Samba
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 898 likes

Post by Samba »

I'd keep Southgate for the 2024 Euro's. Might as well.
Continuity can be a good thing.
In many ways, England had a great tournament compared to some others.
Yes, we lost in the QF but how much of that was down to the sheer ineptitude of the Referee?
Het-Field

Post by Het-Field »

Samba wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:46 am I'd keep Southgate for the 2024 Euro's. Might as well.
Continuity can be a good thing.
In many ways, England had a great tournament compared to some others.
Yes, we lost in the QF but how much of that was down to the sheer ineptitude of the Referee?
In the end, none. England were awarded two penalties and two free kicks in prominent positions. France’s goals can be attributed to suspect defending, and there is an argument that Pickford could do better if the posts are covered. At a certain point, you have to make your own luck.
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

Yep. Far too much is being made of the referee's performance in that game. It really was nowhere near as bad as many are claiming.
Diogenes
Has liked: 428 likes
Total likes: 1131 likes

Post by Diogenes »

fjthegrey wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:11 pm Yep. Far too much is being made of the referee's performance in that game. It really was nowhere near as bad as many are claiming.
Except it was very poor, as commented on by many, including other referees. Did it cost us the game? Who knows, possibly not, but he was awful throughout.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

I see Tony Adams has waded in now, labelling Southgate. ' A good loser, but he's another tosser too, right ?