Semi Finals

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Re: Semi Finals

Post by sendô »

DasNutNock2 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:42 pm Will you please give this a rest now?
It must be great being Welsh or Scottish.

Every tournament you get to celebrate like you've won it.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

dodger wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:07 am I’ve seen about two posts predicting very comfortable England wins.

Sometimes people look for supposed ‘English arrogance’ when there is none.
Spot on. I prefaced my prediction of a comfortable win with an apology for potentially coming across as arrogant. In actual fact my confidence is simply born out of the displays I have seen and the fact we have better players. Could Denmark win? Yes, if England don’t turn up. The likelihood of this when cheered on by a hungry home crowd is slim.

I’m not sure there has been a time when I have been this confident about West Ham and England.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

S-H wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:45 pm Look up the meaning of sour grapes, and you'll see a picture of TOMoS

:D

Ok , this is my last word on the matter , I promise - but what I find funny is whenever yourself or other posters post anti-Wales stuff on the Rugby or the Euros sites it's just ' Banter ' and nobody bats an eyelid - no one says ' Stop this please ' but I'll come on here giving it back it suddenly becomes ' Trolling ' and becomes like Rorke's Drift , spears flying everywhere . :grin:

Either you want the banter or you don't - I think that secretly you [ plural ] quite enjoy it as long as England keep winning .

It's not Sour Grapes either , I have never celebrated an England loss whether it be Rugby or Footie [ ok , I laughed at Owen Farrell when he was pleading with the Ref at that free kick but I've never celebrated an English loss , quite the opposite - in 1966 and 1970 I was fully behind them , I even bought ' Back Home ' :grin: ] - I wasn't bothered when Wales lost 0-4 to the Danes , in a way it was a relief they were out as it was only prolonging the inevitable , it didn't have the same feel as 2016 .

If England lose to the Danes you won't see me on here posting ' Get in there ' or words to that effect winding you lot up , it's not my style - if England win I'll be happy for my English Kumb mates but I won't be watching it as I have no interest in the game or the players , I'd much rather watch ' Casualty ' .

See you after The Euros - hope you win .
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

If I went on a Cardiff City football website and repeatedly took digs at Wales, how well do you think that’d go down? Think their international sports threads are free of anti-England rhetoric? Seems a touch unlikely.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

Being a Welshman on a predominantly English Forum, naturally you are going to be swimming against the tide of opinion.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

...much rather watch Casualty than a Euro semi final.

Man, what a topsy turvy world.
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

It’ll be because of that Nurse Duffy who used to shag Charlie Fairpubes.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

There are few sports fans least tolerant of opposition fans than Welsh rugby fans when they're playing England.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

A thread about the European Championship Semi Finals descends into an argument about who's worse, the Welsh or the English.

People can be idiots, Welsh, English, African, whatever.

I think Italy will just about edge Spain and I have a sneaky feeling that Denmark will take England into extra time, it might be one first eleven rejig too many.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 784 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:17 am I have no interest in the game or the players , I'd much rather watch ' Casualty ' .
You are an uncaring Spurs fan and I claim my £5.

Essentially TOMOS you're an away fan giving it large in the home end on this one; some people aren't going to like it.
South African Iron
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by South African Iron »

Italy 1 Spain 0
England 1 Denmark 0
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1241 likes
Total likes: 1651 likes

Post by last.caress »

Italy 2-1 Spain
England 2-2 Denmark AET (Danes through on pens) :(

(I should add that my predictions so far have not been the most accurate)
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 1952 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

If I was Welsh or Scottish I fear I’d be like Rob Roy on acid. The media drive me potty and I’m more English than Frau Elizabeth.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Doc H Ball wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:34 pm If I was Welsh or Scottish I
......would be swerving this thread. It's just not for them, so willy off.
Has liked: 4592 likes
Total likes: 1548 likes

Post by Sticky »

ironilunga wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:23 pm It’ll be because of that Nurse Duffy who used to shag Charlie Fairpubes.
This made me laugh out loud. Solid bit of work here Iron.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

TOMOS, pretty much everyone likes banter, so throw it the English way, we are ready, just get some new material as it's repeat, repeat, repeat, so up your game you Nazi sympathising leek licking sheep shagging haggis munching untrimmed kilt wearing sweaty.... :grin:
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:29 am TOMOS, pretty much everyone likes banter, so throw it the English way, we are ready, just get some new material as it's repeat, repeat, repeat, so up your game you Nazi sympathising leek licking sheep shagging haggis munching untrimmed kilt wearing sweaty.... :grin:
:D

Yeah, round up the troops TOMoS..

Come back stronger

Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Italy have an extra days rest, I wonder how much that will come into things? Probably not much if they play England.
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Jonah wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:25 pm Spain 2 v Italy 2 (Italy on pens)
England 3 v Denmark 0
Close.

Made up for it with a treble win ~£230 on the draw, Busquets booked and under 8.5 corners.
bigcarpchaser
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by bigcarpchaser »

I’m feeling a little emotional this morning, my youngest lad (he’s 4) loves football and he’s proudly wearing his England shirt to preschool this morning and belting out Vindaloo and it’s brought a tear to my eye.
I was 3 in 1966 so don’t remember anything about it, my first recollection of anything England was Mexico 70 so have suffered along with you all, add in being West Ham it’s not been a brilliantly successful footballing supporting life but, please England, do us proud and win this thing.