Match #50/SF: England 2-1 AET Denmark (8pm, Wednesday 7th July)

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Match #50/SF: England 2-1 AET Denmark (8pm, Wednesday 7th July)

Post by Samba »

ITV 6:30pm

I've just realised, WE'RE IN THE F*CKING 20/21 EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIP, SEMI-FINAL!!!..
Our biggest game since? Got to be 1996, hasn't it? Ok, maybe 2018..
From the last group stage game, this England team (& squad) have been playing so well. Now we have to face the weirdly minus-Eriksen inspired team, that is Denmark.
Are we now facing the preordained winners of the competition? You might imagine that many neutrals will be willing them on for stupid, sentimental reasons, but I truly hope not.
We SHOULD be able to beat Denmark & in 90 minutes. Not only have we got a team that is strong in all areas of the pitch, we have just as good players, sitting on the bench, raring to get on. Not just substitutes for the injured but top class players that can come on & win games.
This time, we are no longer relying on average players, combined with one or two big names with big egos, who if they had an off day, meant that England had an off day.
Probably, our best chance of getting to a final since... 1966?
Just hope that we fully embrace this chance. For once, in a long while, we have the players & coaching staff, to do just that.
:heart: :pray: :scarfer:
Shabu
Has liked: 4191 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Re: Match #50/SF: England v Denmark (8pm, Wednesday 7th July)

Post by Shabu »

Denmark will win this
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 797 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

4-0 again
simon hammer
Has liked: 994 likes
Total likes: 748 likes

Post by simon hammer »

England 2-0 Denmark
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I'm not a betting man, but I would stake everything I own including my grandchildren's future, England will score first
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

What's everyone eating before the game?

Think I might do Ham, Egg and Chips, haven't had it for ages!!

Come on England!!
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

I feel really ****ing weird about this game.

In 2018 when we reached the World Cup semi final, there was a bit of a feeling that we'd blagged our way there, that we were probably the weakest of the four semi finalists, and that we'd need a huge slice of luck to both reach the final and then go on to win the whole thing.

I don't feel like that now. In fact I feel the opposite. We haven't blagged our way to the semi final - we won our group, have beaten some decent teams, looked comfortable and convincing, not conceded a single goal all tournament, and have got better and better as the tournament has gone on.

I make us the favourites to win it at the moment. Not sure how foreignisher bookies see it, but I don't think that's unfair.

Anyway, if we turn up and play how we know we can play, and as long as noone does anything silly (including the ref) that results in a red card, we will win. Denmark are decent enough, but at our best I think we'll be too much.

Of course the big question is, will we play at our best?
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1201 likes

Post by ironilunga »

S-H wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:27 am What's everyone eating before the game?

Think I might do Ham, Egg and Chips, haven't had it for ages!!

Come on England!!
I see you have respectfully omitted the bacon.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

On paper we are favourites, and in fairness from what we have seen with our own eyes we are stronger & better than Denmark. Denmark are one very solid unit though, Danes, us the Italians appear to the best "team unit".

If we turn up like we have been then we go through to the final, a massive test for the team, no doubt about that.

We need to score first, I was kind of hoping the Ukraines would score, just so that's done and out the way. Keeping so many clean sheets is obviously a huge positive but it can create a weight around us, defenders desperate to keep a clean sheet they go more into risk averse mode and don't play that ball forward and play more safe, hopefully not and it's just me looking for a problem that is not there.

Midfield battle, like most games will determine the result, fancy our 2 to win that battle even though it will arguably be their toughest test yet.

I think 10 of the starters we all know (probably), Kane, Mount, Sterling plus 1 other for the front 4. Perhaps he changes Mount as well, I don't think so for this game.
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

This one feels like the first real opportunity for a shootout. I’d back us to win on pens, for the first time in my life, but I’m not sure I’d be able to watch.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Tickets just came up on the UEFA portal for about 10 seconds and then were sold out. Hopefully that's the start of a flood of them throughout the day!
S-H

Post by S-H »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:43 am Tickets just came up on the UEFA portal for about 10 seconds and then were sold out. Hopefully that's the start of a flood of them throughout the day!
Only allowed allowed to buy 1 ticket apparently.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:43 am Tickets just came up on the UEFA portal for about 10 seconds and then were sold out. Hopefully that's the start of a flood of them throughout the day!
I had the same thing with Lorde tickets yesterday - SeeTickets emailed me, said there were some newly released, I jumped on and they'd gone.

Think Denmark have more of a team approach than either Ukraine or Germany - not so easy to isolate just one or two key players to shut off. With those two teams we shut down their central midfield players and that basically killed their creativity. Denmark offer a lot more from wider areas, so whoever plays at full back or wing back will need to be switched on to stop the crosses coming in.

Going to be a nervy, uncomfortable evening, I think.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by Het-Field »

To me this is the one that will test the England mentality that has failed them so many time in the past. The difference here is, I would have a lot more trust in this squad not to crumble like that.

The big mistake would be to under-estimate the Danes, not least because they have won at Wembley in a competitive match in the recent past, and went unbeaten through their qualification group. I also think that the narrative about the team in the wake of the very difficult circumstances surrounding Christen Eriksen's illness, if bought into could cause a degree of condescension towards the Danes i.e. that they are not actually that good and are running on team spirit. Thats actual nonsense, and I say that as somebody who has seen Ireland play Denmark on six occasions in two years. Eriksen is indeed their talisman, but when you start working through their team you see that they are more than just a one man team, and have a very capable spine, from keeper to CB, to CDM to CF. They are also highly efficient in their use of the ball, and are highly accurate in the way they pass the ball.

If England were to replicate what happened in Rome on Saturday last, that would be a much greater achievement. They concede infrequently, often score large amounts of goals, and are certainly not afraid of A League opposition.

I think England will win, but as I've said, it wouldn't surprise me if its a plucky strike from Kane, or a header from a corner from Maguire or Stones that wins the game.
artlin

Post by artlin »

Shabu wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:05 am Denmark will win this
"Something rude".
artlin

Post by artlin »

I would like to put in a plea for lots of VINDALOO chanting for this game.

Na, na, na.

Na, na, na

We're gonna score one more than you.

Na, na, na

Etc.

Absolutely zero "God save the queen" thankyou very much. Totally spoils my viewing experience.

:starst: :starst:
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Haven't touched my beard since before the tournament started. The scraggy, homeless looking, birds nest that is now my face will be the reason we win this tournament. You can all thank me by stroking it at some point in the future. And the beard as well.
S-H

Post by S-H »

fjthegrey wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:06 am Haven't touched my beard since before the tournament started. The scraggy, homeless looking, birds nest that is now my face will be the reason we win this tournament. You can all thank me by stroking it at some point in the future. And the beard as well.
Unzips fly

I'm actually doing the same.

Did it during West Ham's decent run after Christmas too.

It definitely works.. DEFINITELY!!
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 364 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

50 years of watching a combination of England's abject and glorious failure has conditioned me to think this match will be the banana skin, and if so that will be a huge disappointment as yes, I'd say we are a better team man for man than Denmark, particularly without Eriksen.

Whilst I am still not a Southgate fan, I have a lot of respect for the man. To reach this stage of the tournament unbeaten, with the standard of defensive players and keepers we have, without conceding a goal, is a fantastic achievement. Him and his whole team are delivering.

His man management looks great, it was noticeable after the final whistle Saturday he had a lot of time for Grealish, with an arm round the shoulder and some words after not getting a run out.

With Kane looking like he has found his mojo, Sterling hitting an all round performance level to match his goal return ( I thought Saturday was his best performance this tournament), the abundance of attacking talent we have, Rice and Philipps forming a damn good partnership, Shaw shining at left- back and our centre backs growing in stature, we do have the making of a very good team. Walker has become the biggest concern for me as he brain farts his way through each match he has played in.

It's all about the result now, so Rice and Philipps being more defence minded in the early stages is vital.

Cant wait for it to begin, I have no idea how it will end, but how fantastic would it be to win the semi ? I'm not thinking beyond that at this stage

Denmark's preparation must be a challenge as they won't know which of our attacking options they'll be facing, let alone whether we go with a 3/5 or a back 4
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 223 likes

Post by k-r-c »

They showed for 10/15 minutes when youve made this post.

3 times now they have shown available for 10/15 mins, with quantities from 2 - 4. Everytime you can never check out - i've tried multiple times.

They have done cat 2 and 3 the most.

There are single category 1's available as of now but again i am sure the same issue.