Match #51: THE FINAL England 1-1 (P) Italy (8pm, Sunday 11th July)

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Re: Match #51: THE FINAL England 1-1 (P) Italy (8pm, Sunday 11th July)

Post by Morocco Mole »

The interesting thing is even though we may disagree over individuals we almost all would go with 5-6 defensive minded players and 3-4 attacking.

What I will never be able to get my head round is the 7 - 3 that Southgate went with. No one does that.
Rozzop
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Post by Rozzop »

Morocco Mole wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:49 pm No idea whether they would want to play in Italy or not but all of those are certainly good enough.

If you picked a combined eleven from the two squads there wouldn’t be too many Italians in it. The keeper perhaps, centre halves are good at what they do sure, …..maybe Veratti? But Southgate wouldn’t pick a playmaker and apparantly he’s the messiah so who knows? Not dissing Italy as a footballing nation - they’ve had the edge over us for years and I always thought they’d have to much nous for us yesterday but man for man we have more talented squad, there’s no doubt about that in my mind.
I would probably have Kane, Rice and Tripper/Walker in a combined 11 and that's it.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

We should expect the top four in England and Spain plus PSG to be beating the door down to sign these Italian superstars then in the next couple of weeks.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Morocco Mole wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:58 pm Jorginho and Henderson no chance.
You have to be joking, the bloke who is first choice for the Champions League and European Champions, is a superb footballer and has been for seasons
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Any one can look good with Kante next to them.

Good player but doesn’t make my combined 11 ahead of Rice or Veratti.
Rozzop

Post by Rozzop »

Morocco Mole wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:15 pm We should expect the top four in England and Spain plus PSG to be beating the door down to sign these Italian superstars then in the next couple of weeks.
It's not a fact they are superstars, it's just that they are better than us.

Many of them already do play for them. Insigne has scored 20 plus goals for Napoli for years, does that make him any less of a player than Sterling?

Barella has just won Serie A with Inter Milan. Does that make him any less of a player than Kalvin Phillips.

What's Kane ever won in his career?

These are big time players playing for historically huge clubs. We have a midtable core of Pickford, Rice, Phillips, Calvert Lewin, Grealish, Saka etc
DublinDave
Has liked: 2724 likes
Total likes: 1756 likes

Post by DublinDave »

Read alot of posts saying Kane is the best finisher & best centre forward in the world...
He had a good first 20 minutes in last night's game yet never even touched the ball in the Italy 18 yard box over 120 minutes...
The second point makes the first point moot imho...
I doubt Southgate told him to never go anywhere near the opposition goal & to stay around the centre circle for the whole match so it begs the question, who's running the team... Manager or CF looking for a new club..?
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

This is all on Neil Diamond.
Tosser.
Morocco Mole

Post by Morocco Mole »

Sterling earns 300 bags a week. Kane will get more. Declan Rice already earns more than your Barella. If they’re as good as you say they need better agents.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Rozzop wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:34 pm It's not a fact they are superstars, it's just that they are better than us.

Many of them already do play for them. Insigne has scored 20 plus goals for Napoli for years, does that make him any less of a player than Sterling?

Barella has just won Serie A with Inter Milan. Does that make him any less of a player than Kalvin Phillips.

What's Kane ever won in his career?

These are big time players playing for historically huge clubs. We have a midtable core of Pickford, Rice, Phillips, Calvert Lewin, Grealish, Saka etc
You could go even further and look into the recent past of a number of players like Phillips, Grealish, and Mount who were playing Championship in the immediate aftermath of the 2018 World Cup. Or Rice was an ROI international at the time. Or Foden followed up the WC with 13 appearances for City in 2018-2019. Or Bellingham who was 14 years when the 2018 Cup got started. Tyrone Mings was still in cycle of stalling, and played only a handful of matches at Bournemouth.

Or you can look at DCL or scored double figures for the first time in 2019-2020.

Or the fact that England's sub keepers wouldn't even come close to Italy's, who just happened to find himself between Buffon and Donnarumma.

I think you could underestimate the Italians, but fall into the trap of over-estimating the English team from word of mouth. Dont get me wrong, this is a superb English team, but is there perhaps a 'talking heads' premium?
neathiron
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by neathiron »

alf git wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:41 pm This is all on Neil Diamond.
Tosser.
I did say that bitch Caroline would break your heart :wink:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:46 pm kane is the opposite of a big game player, it's long and storied (even by spurs supporters). he's filling rooney's boots by pumping his numbers against weaker opposition while not giving us what we need to win the games that really matter.
That's not just an issue for the international side, realistically. He's been a brilliant goalscorer for Spurs, I accept, but was wretched in the recent CL final that they reached, as well as the League Cup, this season.

I have two other thoughts, when often watching him, in that I think he often plays within himself, as if he's worried about his body and another injury. Secondly, his game has developed into a kind of carousel of genuinely brilliant skill and hyper-attentiveness to winning refereeing decisions.

So, I make you and TPP right; Southgate fell into a trap by basically centring all of the team's goalscoring opportunity around him in the immediate aftermath of that ill-advised declaration of needing to leave his club for his own ambitions to be realised.
ClydeIron
Total likes: 1 like

Post by ClydeIron »

Jumby wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:36 pm Before the game there were naked men in the streets lighting flares out of their backsides, indecent exposure in the streets of London in broad daylight with youngsters about. Those images will have been seen by anyone of any importance in football, yesterday was an absolute PR disaster.
Puff Daddy wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:46 pm I believe they were running round Tottenham
:lol:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Morocco Mole wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:29 pm Any one can look good with Kante next to them.

Good player but doesn’t make my combined 11 ahead of Rice or Veratti.
I personally rate him (Jorginho) as the best DM in the world.

Would not surprise me at all to see him lift next season's Prem and then go out to Qatar and repeat yesterday's trick and lift the Jules Rimet, too.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Heavily missed but crucial last night:

That Sheffield band was back and playing
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

DublinDave wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:39 pm Read alot of posts saying Kane is the best finisher & best centre forward in the world...
He had a good first 20 minutes in last night's game yet never even touched the ball in the Italy 18 yard box over 120 minutes...
The second point makes the first point moot imho...
I doubt Southgate told him to never go anywhere near the opposition goal & to stay around the centre circle for the whole match so it begs the question, who's running the team... Manager or CF looking for a new club..?
It was almost certainly managerial instructions. He wanted Kane to come deep occupy one or both CBs and link with the wing backs as per the first goal
Trouble is once the wing backs stopped getting forward, and with Mount so deep there was no one to provide him any support at all.
He didnt touch the ball in the penalty box because we hardly ever got anywhere near it after the 2nd minute
DublinDave
Has liked: 2724 likes
Total likes: 1756 likes

Post by DublinDave »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:01 pm It was almost certainly managerial instructions. He wanted Kane to come deep occupy one or both CBs and link with the wing backs as per the first goal
Trouble is once the wing backs stopped getting forward, and with Mount so deep there was no one to provide him any support at all.
He didnt touch the ball in the penalty box because we hardly ever got anywhere near it after the 2nd minute
I get that up to a point but after Dec came off after 74 minutes the subs made it a 433 on paper but to make that work you need a guy in the box that can finish...
Ye went to a 460 & even when ye got a break there was no one in the box to cross/pass to...
Confuses the he'll out of me...
Rozzop

Post by Rozzop »

Morocco Mole wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:44 pm Sterling earns 300 bags a week. Kane will get more. Declan Rice already earns more than your Barella. If they’re as good as you say they need better agents.
And that's the exact reason why England will never win anything.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

e17 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:57 pm Heavily missed but crucial last night:

That Sheffield band was back and playing
Pulp?
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

YorksHammer wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:34 pmPulp?
If only!

Those tedious “great escape” merchants