Plans for final day

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Re: Plans for final day

Post by dodger »

Waking up at 3am here to watch it, then go to work a few hours later.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 205 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

I was also going to watch UFC as well from around 4am. Might have a nap once that is over then I expect my mates will be over at noon for a bbq. My mum is then cooking a family dinner. It is shaping up to be a long day. Hopefully with a positive ending.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 177 likes

Post by James P »

A mate of mine who is one of my biggest “England” mates, with whom I’ve shared 30 years of unsubstantiated optimism followed by inevitable crushing disappointment, is travelling up by coach from Wales and getting in to Victoria at 16:30 so I’ve booked a pub there to have a quick pint and hug and get all soppy with him before he heads off to Liv St to meet our mates while I head up to Wembley with our Gang of Four who have tickets.

Hopefully, time allowing, get a good hour on Wembley Way just taking in all the joy and madness then start heading into the ground for 19:00. Quick pint if the queues aren’t too bad and then into our seats for about 19:20 and then just somehow try to take in the occasion. It still feels surreal that it’s even happening so I don’t know how successful that will be but I’ll give it my best.
[HH]
In the closet
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by [HH] »

- Working on a kids ward Saturday night, start 19:00.
- Finish 08:00 the morning of the final. I'll probably have no break as we are unseasonably full at the moment.

Go home, sleep, Get up around midday, face paint, bucket hat, annoying air horn, and into town on the riverside to take it all in, and then onto the pub that was booked ages ago as soon as I saw our route to the final. I want memories to tell my two toddlers who are too young to appreciate it all.

I won't get an access code, but pondering parting with silly money for a ticket. I wouldn't usually, but I volunteered to go to adult covid wards early on and ended up with long covid as a result. I'm now under a cardiologist for cardiomyopathy, which makes you often or not ask "if not now, then when?"

Monday morning, 10am, I'll be in a dentists chair. Now that's got to be a good omen. :coolas:
neil_d
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by neil_d »

r99c wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:48 pm Afterwards Copa America final Brasil v Argentina kicks off at 1am our time (BBC Iplayer/website etc) so that too where I have a vested interest in the Argies :ball: Footy feast
That's tonight (i.e. Saturday night/Sunday morning), isn't it?
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wormley »

I'll be watching at home in a different part of the house to the missus because she goes all 'Delia Smith' after a couple of glasses of wine and shouts and rants at the TV, it's unbearable.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1951 likes
Total likes: 603 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

r99c wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:48 pm Wimbledon mens final, beers probably start 4ish or so? Then probably sit in the garden drinking and getting nervous, watch from about 7.55

Afterwards Copa America final Brasil v Argentina kicks off at 1am our time (BBC Iplayer/website etc) so that too where I have a vested interest in the Argies :ball: Footy feast

One thing I won't be doing is staying in bed and drifting away!!!
I am sure Copa America is early hours of Sunday morning(01.00).
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Fancy I’m going for a dip…in The Mediterranean.

Just arrived in Majorca.

:coolas: :coolas:
mushy
Has liked: 654 likes
Total likes: 878 likes

Post by mushy »

I'll be sitting indoors sh*tting myself.
In fact, that's what I am doing now.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

prophet:marginal wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:29 pm Fancy I’m going for a dip…in The Mediterranean.

Just arrived in Majorca.

:coolas: :coolas:
Nice one mate, hope you have a good one.

:thup:
DrVenk
Has liked: 362 likes
Total likes: 469 likes

Post by DrVenk »

mushy wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:29 pm I'll be sitting indoors sh*tting myself.
In fact, that's what I am doing now.
Can share my (used) adult diapers with you mate. Once over the stench, you end up liking the warmth :thup:

An 8pm kick off on a Sunday is just so wrong. It's going to be a struggle to not be plastered by kickoff. So I'm getting wasted tonight to ensure a late rise tomorrow morning and then eating like a pig throughout the day to commence drinking at 7pm. Win or lose, Monday will be a write off.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

On the face of it, 8pm on a Sunday, is a nuisance.

However, it means that the Scots, Welsh and whoever else begrudge us reaching the final, will have to suffer another whole day of England final mania being rammed down their throats.... which is fine by me.

Let's be 'avin yer!!!
DrVenk
Has liked: 362 likes
Total likes: 469 likes

Post by DrVenk »

S-H wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:43 pm However, it means that the Scots, Welsh and whoever else begrudge us reaching the final, will have to suffer another whole day of England final mania being rammed down their throats.... which is fine by me.
Totally anecdotal, but so many of my non-English friends are really narky about England getting to the final. I've been really surprised with the level of vitriol. So...

S-H wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:43 pm Let's be 'avin yer!!!
Quite :fist:
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 177 likes

Post by James P »

The 20:00 kick off makes no sense to me. If it goes to penalties, the trophy will be presented around midnight in Italy. Where’s the logic in that.

Getting home from Wembley is gonna be a nightmare for so many.

The 17:00 kick off for the Germany game was perfect in my opinion and makes even more sense on a Sunday.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Leaving Kent at around 7-7:30AM and drive to Wales. At around 11, will grab a quick bite to eat with the family (hopefully at a burger van somewhere) then burn off the calories by walking to the Talybont (Or Tal-y-Bont for the Welshies here) waterfalls. Then move on from there to a hotel in Bridgend, where we've booked a table in the bar/restaurant for 6PM, and probably stay in that spot for the duration.
GentlemanJim
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by GentlemanJim »

dodger wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:30 pm Waking up at 3am here to watch it, then go to work a few hours later.
Are you also in Japan? Tokyo? I just heard Mogambo's hosts a final party and is showing the game on their big screen. Not a huge fan of the place but might be worth it for the occasion.
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 858 likes

Post by jastons »

Watching it in the house with Gin. I've made a bet with my Scottish girlfriend than England will win, if we lose then I'm paying for her and my step daughters for a meal out!
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Kent Show in the day so probably mooching around in rain and mud,watching some donkey races while supping some beers.
r99c
Has liked: 708 likes
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by r99c »

Yeah Copa America tonight, thought I might've got it wrong when I saw the 3rd place playoff was yesterday. Shame the Euros isn't on Saturday too but World Cup/Euros always on Sundays ah well!

That's good, means I can get fully on it after we win and not be concerned about watching another game :grin:
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by Het-Field »

S-H wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:43 pm On the face of it, 8pm on a Sunday, is a nuisance.

However, it means that the Scots, Welsh and whoever else begrudge us reaching the final, will have to suffer another whole day of England final mania being rammed down their throats.... which is fine by me.

Let's be 'avin yer!!!
The final of USA ‘94 kicked off at 9pm over here. Worst final you could imagine, went the full 120 and penalties for Baggio at miss his one. IIRC I went to be at 12:30am Uk time.

Should have been a Sunday afternoon kick off.