Who SHOULD Be England Manager?

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Re: Who SHOULD Be England Manager?

Post by Hockley Hammer »

We lost on penalties to probably the hardest team to beat in world football at the moment.

They totally nullified our two main attacking threats, and basically played for penalties from the 75th minute.

I take that as a compliment to us as an opponent.

As West Ham fans we should know all about trying and failing to beat such teams.
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

Obviously Southgate should be England manager, but anyone else think that Southgate might not want to stay on after the World Cup, regardless of results? He puts his heart and soul into the job (compare with Sven who apparently was bored half the time) and he was open about being exhausted.

Can only see Dyche being a likely candidate after Southgate.

But I have a funny feeling Mourinho would be in with a shout after Southgate (to clarify - I don't want, but the dearth of options makes him possible I think)
ackneyhammer
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by ackneyhammer »

e17 got it spot on for me. This team has character and are an extremely likable bunch of lads. We are probably not as good as we like to think we are simply because a lot of the young lads lack experience and some still need to fill out a bit. I think we would have struggled if we had changed the backline too much from the way he set it out to play. The thing Southgate needs to do is rotate or add to his backroom staff. He certainly seems to get all the players on board and playing for each other and for an international manager that is priceless. What he needs is a more modern thinking attack coach/ strategist to work with the players, even if it was on a part time basis. And the FA need to have a hard look at who they have in charge of the under 21's and other junior teams. These also need to be involved with the senior team so that there is continuity and maybe even a succession plan for when Southgate moves on. And touching on the racist stuff on social media. England has a team we can all be proud of and get behind. If only we could get the team to be as proud of us as supporters by our actions .
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

Historically the England manager's job has always been seen as the pinnacle for a lot of manager's.
We have had some really good club managers who never quite matched what was achieved in 1966.

Gareth Southgate has achieved the best set of results and tournament placings without actually setting the world alight with our performances.

I think he will know that he has a group of players that can now give all the top nations a real challenge.
He now needs to have the conviction in his management style to let them express themselves more.
For the time being I would give Southgate a very solid 7.5 to 8.0 for what has been achieved under his stewardship.
To push that to a 9.0 we need to see our players carry on winning but playing with more authority when the chance comes.
We have had an excellent Euros and we can do well in the next World Cup as long as this tournament hasn't dented the players confidence in the manner of which we lost.
And the extreme comments on twitter that followed

I still believe
Long Shot
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Long Shot »

We have all the components now: talent; set up; coaches; a long term plan; past mistakes to draw on... Just needs an intelligent and strong leader to gel it together.

GS has the intelligence, does he have the leadership strength? I think not to the levels needed for us to be the best team in the world - yet - but everyday is a school day and he should not be replaced until we can see if he can make us stronger and better for the next round.

Lampard and Gerrard? Won ef all internationally and as managers why should they be a shoe in? Please don't point to club careers where they relied heavily on foreign talent and media hype as that does not make them natural managers for international teams.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Providing they do a good job with them I like the idea of the U'21 manager getting the nod, it was one of the things that baffled me a bit with Southgate's appointment initially, I didn't think he was doing that good a job with them but there is absolutely no doubt that his connection and experience with younger players has helped this team enormously while maybe seeing certain senior players completely overlooked at times.
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

I'm not sure if this been mentioned in any other threads, but I'll give it a go anyway.
I think Southgate has had a plan for a good while now and it is obviously working.
We've heard all the stories from Rio and Lampard about the division in the England camp when the so called golden generation got together. Club team mates sitting together at lunchtime etc, all very cliquey.
If you look at the squads Southgate picks it pretty much involves players from all the premier league clubs. In fact for this tournament
Newcastle
Palace
Fulham
Burnley
And Southampton didn't have representation in the squad and james ward prowse was unlucky in my opinion.
We had a couple of overseas players from Dortmund and Atletico madrid. So that makes 17 clubs providing members of a 26 man squad.
This surely would have helped massively to cut out the Billy big Bollo*ks behaviour from previous tournament squads (you know who you are wayne rooney).
In my opinion it has probably helped with the nation backing these players.
When was the last time we had players from
West Ham
Aston Villa
Everton
Leeds utd
Having an influence in the national team.
Add into that mix a relative unknown kid from Arsenal
And you start to see that Southgate is trying give us a team for the people of this country, not just picking players who play the so called big 6
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

As a neutral [ but always with a keen eye on any West Ham player selected ] I always though Bobby Robson and Glenn Hoddle were the two England Managers I admired most , for two very different reasons - the players would have run through brick walls for Robson yet Hoddle had England playing your best football so a combination of Robson and Hoddle and [ in my opinion ] you'd have a brilliant England Manager - there's something about Southgate I can't take to , looks like a Squirrel Caught In The Headlights .
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

With you there TOMOS. Shame Hoddle had/has weird ideas about metaphysics. He was perfect for that squad of players. We could have really done something under his management.

Btw, I'd be up for a GB team! I love the Brecon Beacons and Scottish Highlands as much as anywhere in England, and feel like I have more in common with a random working class lad in Glasgow than I do with, say, a solicitor in Guildford.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

DrVenk wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:23 pm With you there TOMOS. Shame Hoddle had/has weird ideas about metaphysics. He was perfect for that squad of players. We could have really done something under his management.

Btw, I'd be up for a GB team! I love the Brecon Beacons and Scottish Highlands as much as anywhere in England, and feel like I have more in common with a random working class lad in Glasgow than I do with, say, a solicitor in Guildford.

I quite understand why folk would be dead set against a Great Britain side in the World Cup or the Euros but it would be nice to see us give the Footie at the Olympics a good go - in 2012 a couple of Welsh lads got on the score sheet - Bellamy and Giggs - would be nice to see another team give it a go sometime in the future .

If I were Prime Minister and I was serious about bringing the 4 Nations together as one the first thing I would do is enter a Great Britain team in the World Cup . It might help put an end to all the nonsense that goes on and bring us closer together .

I can see why Nationalists on all sides would be against it though .
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

I'd be happy with an Olympic GB side made of the best players that at the time are currently playing in U'23 Development squads, I think that would be great. Right now there's a possibility that the likes of Neco Williams and Ethan Ampadu could be playing at that level next season so they'd benefit Williams especially as he is way, way too green at the moment.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

Two days later it still hurts, possibly even more now I look at some of the photos of the tournament and see how close we actually came to victory.

The best team at the tournament and on the night won, congratulations on a great Euro's Italy, beating Belgium, Spain & England on route to it is no joke (even if two were via pens... :winker: )

I am disappointed with our lack of creativity on the night after we scored and somewhat worried by it too. I have high hopes for the squad but they need to learn from this and improve if we are to win the World Cup. That goes for the manager too. I love what he has created but do worry he has lacked the tactical nous in both tournaments to overcome some opposition - all part of learning though. I still genuinely believe we are better than Italy and as a 23 man squad have one of, if not the best, squads in World football. We are also a proper team thanks to Southgate and his coaching staff, so there is really nothing stopping us achieving success in the next two or three tournaments.

Gareth Southgate should be the England manager, he has more than earnt a crack at the World Cup again and we revaluate after then.

I can see Steven Gerrard taking the reigns after Southgate goes, dependent on his continued success and any development at Liverpool during the next couple of years.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:46 am Unfortunately Lampard is definitely in line to be next England manager, whenever that may be

The FA are all over it
#ABL