Hysteria!

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Hysteria!

Post by Pob! »

What as happened to our country?
So many over the top emotional opinions, On here, social media, the TV and newspapers.
What makes people think it's ok to be abusive towards somebody they don't know?
It's just a game of football.
On the other hand people think a few trolls spouting derogatory remarks makes this country the most vile racist county on the planet..
Why is nothing middle of the road anymore? Why can't someone have an opinion without being shouted down?
It's just a game of football.
Nobody mentions the guys with their mates about 30 of them all races all in England shirts dancing together outside my local Spoon's singing and having a lovely time after we beat Germany. Why?

Everything is so polarised now days, it's just a game of football people chill out!
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Re: Hysteria!

Post by Jumby »

The internet and social media means that a beat is never missed, it stretches way further than football, everyone now is on standby waiting for something to kick off about. That said, don't be an idiot and people won't have the option to get outraged.
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

Mass hysteria last night around the streets of our cities and towns. Fuelled up on all day drinking and never knowing when to stop.
I wish we had never let women get involved in football
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

lincolnhammer1963 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:11 pm Mass hysteria last night around the streets of our cities and towns. Fuelled up on all day drinking and never knowing when to stop.
I wish we had never let women get involved in football
:crylol:
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

what most of us witnessed with our own eyes was par for the course, from pissheads drowing themselves in trafalgar square fountains after germany 2010, or the hordes i saw marching through frith street chanting "let's go smash up nandos" after ronaldo did us in, but back then we didn't have an endless pool of vile opinion in social media that whoever wants to push a narrative can dip into at will. the country did not suddenly turn racist because some black players missed penalties.

make no mistake when the country was unified behind the team, those messages from disembodied twitter accounts were still being sent, but nobody paid attention to them. why people of any sort of sensitive disposition still have accounts on that platform i have no idea. it's the world's biggest toilet door. as a private corporation with alogrithms that can shape social discourse it's already far too powerful and society needs to wean itself off of it before we eat ourselves alive.
Last edited by Beavis Danzig on Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

"I'm hopping mad and I want something in the middle"

DrVenk

Post by DrVenk »

Doubt we would have seen so much aggro had this not taken place as we emerge from lockdown.

Also, strikes me the extremes in society get more coverage than they deserve and then there is the usual civic erosion around the use of social media.
Barking Iron
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Barking Iron »

Yesterday was ****ing embarrassing the whole world was watching and we showed them unfortunately what we’ve become. Some might say this has always been us and they might be right but the abuse of alcohol and now cocaine has reached new levels it might be the lockdown where boredom meant a increase in alcohol consumption but when did people start opening sniffing lines like they’re using smelling salts?

Then the racism, I’ve flip flopped with the taking of the knee but something has to change it’s not enough now if I was a black footballer I’d withdraw my labour until the authorities start seriously clamping down on this there were monkey chants in the Hungary game £25000 fine. The social media situation has to change through verification by means of a passport or other form of id a withdraw of labour should get the governing bodies to lobby the government to change the law the social media companies have shown they’re only interested in 1 thing the bottom line.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

You'll find hysteria if you want to find it.

Thankfully :kumbnew: has been pretty level headed in the main. Anything else I've purposely swerved.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

I haven't got a problem with the drink or drugs, it's when people smash up buses or taking it too far, on the whole millions across the nation got smashed yesterday and behaved fine, it's the idiots that go too far, I think bizarrely in club football, you'd get some "elders" reign them in a bit, whereas England is just one big free for all
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

DrVenk wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:06 pm Doubt we would have seen so much aggro had this not taken place as we emerge from lockdown.
It happens whenever we fail to match the expectations that people build up. We werent coming out of lockdown in 96 and there was probably even more aggro.
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

Judging by the pictures shown on youtube and various other media platforms, this was an opportunity for the young people of this country to show what total dicks they can be.
We must surely been seen by the rest of Europe as an unruly runt of a nation.
We know other nations have their problems, but it's like we just dont know how to have a good time without going way over the top with the drink and drugs.
It's just not acceptable that these idiots are allowed to do what they do and get away with it.

Is there any wonder why we as a nation are always overlooked for hosting a world cup.

We truly are the runts of Europe when it comes to knowing how to act in large celebratory gatherings
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1640 likes

Post by last.caress »

Pob! wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:52 pm having a lovely time after we beat Germany.
Anti-Deutsch sentiment. Six week ban!

Jumby wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:59 pm don't be an idiot
Elitism. Three week ban!

lincolnhammer1963 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:11 pm I wish we had never let women get involved in football
Sexism! Six month ban!

Eggs'n'nuts wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:57 pm :crylol:
Laughing at sexism! Twelve month ban!

Beavis Danzig wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:01 pm pissheads drowing themselves in trafalgar square fountains... marching through frith street chanting "let's go smash up nandos"
Incitement to Riot. Six months ban!
Beavis Danzig wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:01 pm endless pool of vile opinion in social media .
Internet trolling. Six month ban increased to ten month ban!
Beavis Danzig wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:01 pm some black players missed penalties.
Racism! Ten month ban increased to two year ban!
Beavis Danzig wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:01 pm the world's biggest toilet door
Weird perversion! Two year ban commuted to slap on wrist. See me and mrs.caress later. Naughty boy!

DrVenk wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:03 pm I'm hopping
Anti-leporine sentiment. One hour ban!
DrVenk wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:06 pm Also, strikes me
Masochistic sentiment. See me, mrs.caress and Beavis later. Earlier one hour ban rescinded.

BARKING IRON wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:08 pm the abuse of alcohol and now cocaine has reached new levels.
Drug dealing. Five year ban! Unless I can have some.
BARKING IRON wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:08 pm I’ve flip flopped
Wearing flip-flops. Permanent ban! Police alerted! How ****ing dare you!

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:28 pm Thankfully :kumbnew: has been pretty level headed in the main
Sucking up to the hierarchy. You can stay. Eggy gets it.

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:41 pm (Def Leppard - Hysteria)
Ableist. One week ban!

fmgod wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:47 pm I haven't got a problem with the drink or drugs
Drug addiction. Ban until drug counselling completed!

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:07 pm there was probably even more aggro.
Ultraviolence. Six month ban! Calm yourself or you'll be restrained!

lincolnhammer1963 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:09 pm total dicks
Online flirting! See me, mrs.caress, Beavis and Dr. Venk later with Barking Iron's drugs for a ****ing wicked party.

Anyway. Being hysterical and OTT: Yep, I'm dead against it. :newthumb:
DublinDave
Has liked: 2723 likes
Total likes: 1754 likes

Post by DublinDave »

last.caress wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:34 pmAnyway. Being hysterical and OTT: Yep, I'm dead against it. :newthumb:
Top moderation LC... :newthumb: :crylol:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

fmgod wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:47 pmI haven't got a problem with the drink or drugs, it's when people smash up buses or taking it too far
You don't think there might just be a correlation between the two?

lincolnhammer1963 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:09 pm...it's like we just dont know how to have a good time without going way over the top with the drink and drugs.
They. Not "we".

DrVenk wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:06 pmAlso, strikes me the extremes in society get more coverage than they deserve...
A case I have made elsewhere on here today. (Twitter removed approximately 1,000 tweets in the wake of last night's penalty shootout, many of which - according to Gareth Southgate - were posted from abroad.)

Yet here's one extremist who's getting exactly what they deserve.

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Well said, Tyrone Mings.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Mings :thup:
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Last Carcass is hilarious - great stuff! :clap: :lol: :lol:
DrVenk

Post by DrVenk »

LC :crossed: :thup:

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:55 pm many of which - according to Gareth Southgate - were posted from abroad
And that's key.

Unfortunately, many have got into the habit of using Twitter as a barometer for public opinion. I know many research/marketing companies moving away from this as it is completely skewed in terms of who uses it. And once you throw in the bots, domestic idiots/trolls and paid problem makers from abroad (usually from Russia and China), it is in many areas an obvious cauldron of hate and BS.

Of course, there are plenty of decent accounts too, but it is absurd to use it as a measure of public opinion and as a way of evaluating what a society is really like.