Hysteria!

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Re: Hysteria!

Post by Beavis Danzig »

they're not just from abroad, they're almost universally fake accounts, often with a fit bird as the image that clearly has nothing to do with what's being posted.
essexhammer90
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by essexhammer90 »

I'd love someone to really dig into the accounts behind the abuse. You just needed to look at the accounts posting scam tickets the day before to see how many bots and hacked accounts were posting. It's public knowledge that Russia are using "increasingly sophisticated efforts to mislead, confuse and spread social discord in the public" and what better way to divide a nation? Add on the usual trolls and I wonder what percentage of the abuse was genuine?

Having said that, the Rashford mural graffiti wasn't done by a Russian bot, and we do have a problem with racism in this country. Not helped by the likes of Patel and Boris who validate "fans" who boo players taking the knee.

Some of the scenes at Wembley were absolutely disgraceful though and I don't think it's "hysteria" to point it out. I arrived at Wembley Park about 3pm and was due to meet my brother, who was bringing his young lad, near the stadium. Half way down Wembley Way I messaged him and told him to keep his lad well away and predicted it was gonna get ugly. So many idiots openly taking drugs, chucking lit flares and half full bottles/cans in the air, smashing into "normal" fans and just general loutish behaviour. The area near the Arena was the same.

I guessed many didn't have tickets and it was clear where things were heading so some of the blame has to lie at the feet of the Police. If I could sense it 5 hours before kick-off, the Police should have been much better prepared. It was a melting pot of lockdown ending, England being in a final, an 8pm kick-off, 20k empty seats, exorbitant ticket prices and poorly prepared police/stewards, and of course, a bunch of ****ing idiots. Unfortunately the result was inevitable.

The most frustrating thing is that you know not a single one of these idiots is a genuine fan who will be at Andorra away in a couple of months, yet all England fans get their name dragged through the mud again.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

essexhammer90 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:29 pm

I guessed many didn't have tickets and it was clear where things were heading so some of the blame has to lie at the feet of the Police. If I could sense it 5 hours before kick-off, the Police should have been much better prepared. It was a melting pot of lockdown ending, England being in a final, an 8pm kick-off, 20k empty seats, exorbitant ticket prices and poorly prepared police/stewards, and of course, a bunch of ****ing idiots. Unfortunately the result was inevitable.
I said to my mate something similar in the days leading up to the game. We found it nigh on impossible to get booked into any venue, managed to find a place doing walk-ins and were lucky to get two tables to seat 11 of us locally. I said if it's this hard to get booked into somewhere and there being no fan zones, everyone is going to descend to particular locations, with Wembley and Trafalgar Square fan zone being the two I said would be over-run. Could see it happening a mile off. It didn't help that apparently people were just able to walk in at certain gates vs Denmark without any checks taking place and this info doing the rounds on social media in the days leading up to the final. The powers that be should have been aware of this.
Shabu
Has liked: 4161 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by Shabu »

essexhammer90 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:29 pm I'd love someone to really dig into the accounts behind the abuse.
I actually did a bit of this last night. I read about some bloke from Manchester named Andrew Bone who's a property manager with Savills who, right after the penalties, tweeted.......

Then I saw another account apparently linked to him saying even worse stuff & doubling down on it saying to the effect of "I won't bow down to political correctness" etc etc. So I looked at past tweets from that account (took 5 minutes) & discovered the user is a Somali gamer who lives in Finland. He's one of those idiots who uses the N word to describe anything (He called Christian Eriksen as "that n**** who had a cardiac) but when people got him mixed up with Andrew Bone he really went into full on troll mode, pretending to be a very racist English football fan. That account is now suspended.

One should always take everything on Twitter with a large pinch of salt. Unless you have high blood pressure. Then you should talk to your physician.
ClydeBuilt

Post by ClydeBuilt »

I think it's difficult because England has all the infrastructure to be a successful nation on the international stage but I think the same way as WW2 etc has been mythologised by some so has 1966. To not mention it or revisit time and time again seems almost sacrilege for Media, personalities etc so what you tend to get is reasonable expectations pre tourney then it sky rockets after one win. Having lived amongst the English now for a few tournaments there is a point it just clicks and you all seem to leave the stratosphere with your own self hype. The crash is inevitably worse for it I guess and now with social media etc it just piles on.

That said I'm not sure you'll have the balanced composure of the Scandis or Germans etc and you don't seem to be collectively emotional like the Italians when they win or lose. Maybe the hysteria and rage is just part of the deal with the expectation you all have.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

My dear old mum thinks there’s Chinese Communists at the bottom of the garden dressed up as Somalian migrants with plans to bomb Waitrose.

Her source of info is the Daily Heil and daytime TV.

It’s not just weirdos on social media. People have been told there’s an enemy within when really we all just want to go to the beach, drink pints, watch ice cream drip down our shorts and when the only real enemy is inclement weather.

Don’t believe the hype. True then, true forever.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

England, today.

r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

I hope this mural dispels the myth that the England flag is racist.

Yes, there are plenty of racists here but the flag itself should be proudly flown by all imo.

What a fantastic sight by the way
Italian Hammer
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Italian Hammer »

Living in Italy I have heard so much hypocritical crap over the last few days - everything from "The English are unsporting" (for taking off their medals) to the more extreme "The English invented racism". Given that fascist salutes have been seen inside some of their stadiums, the far right influence of some ultras and a people and who voted for Matteo Salvini (lovely piece of work that one) you can understand the hypocrisy (I won't mention the war - promise).

Even worse is/are the fake video(s) being posted on social media of "English hooligans attacking innocent Italians" designed to rile the masses into more hate.

BTW - good pics UTJ
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

essexhammer90 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:29 pm Having said that, the Rashford mural graffiti wasn't done by a Russian bot, and we do have a problem with racism in this country. Not helped by the likes of Patel and Boris who validate "fans" who boo players taking the knee.
Correct, it was done by a thunderous twat, however what was actually written on it? From what I've seen reported it doesn't seem very racist, simply the words f***, sh** and Saka. It could obviously have been written with racist intent but then surely the culprit would've used a few more racist words, unless they were used and not being reported? Or perhaps it was a gormless out pouring of rage without any racist angle, much the same as the Beckham effigy done by one of ours all those years ago. Either way the locals reaction to it has been heart warming and that story is the one that echoes what the majority of people feel, not the vandalism carried out by a turd in the middle of the night.
Anyone who thinks the misses by those three young English lads meant less to them because of the colour of their skin is a moron not fit to lace their boots, seeing their reactions and Saka's in particular was heart breaking.
Saying that, fear of being mislabelled a racist shouldn't deter people from ridiculing Rashford's attempt......... :crossed: :smiler:
Shabu
Has liked: 4161 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by Shabu »

Bloody hell, can you imagine if someone hung an effigy of Rashford outside of a pub? England would probably get invaded by the United Nations :lol:
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

they drew a (very ****) cock too, to be fair.

maybe they were spurs fans.
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

delbert wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:22 pm Correct, it was done by a thunderous twat, however what was actually written on it? From what I've seen reported it doesn't seem very racist, simply the words f***, sh** and Saka.
Probably the Black B******* bit was what swung it Delbs.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

That's why I asked, that hadn't been mentioned in the reports I saw, all they had was the swear words without any racist terms......
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

The Rashford mural has baffled me in all this. There's been no reports of any racist terms being scrawled across it but it's being used a protest ground against racism.

If "black b*stards" is what was written then fair enough, I get it and the reaction makes sense. But that's not been reported at all.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Billydinho wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:58 am The Rashford mural has baffled me in all this. There's been no reports of any racist terms being scrawled across it but it's being used a protest ground against racism.

If "black b*stards" is what was written then fair enough, I get it and the reaction makes sense. But that's not been reported at all.
It's been politicised like everything, mainly of them left learning, it was "f*** Sancho" and "***** b*stard" that's shi-- as the filter blocked and makes it look worse :rofl:
Jonah

Post by Jonah »

Most definitely had the word black in there.

Portsmouth U18s. - Hold my beer.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Jonah wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:32 pm Most definitely had the word black in there.

Portsmouth U18s. - Hold my beer.
No it didn't it was in sky blue paint, it said something like I put above, it wasn't racist, this has just been jumped on by all the usual lot, the bloke who graffitied it is a prick but wasn't racist at all, it said sh--e' 'b*stard'.

Jonah

Post by Jonah »

You might want to zoom in a bit on this pic that hasn't got the blokes standing in the way then.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6DS7pLXEAA ... name=large

Unless you can think of another word that starts with B and ends ck that usually prefixes b*stard?

Could be "***** in a bucket"

I bet its not though.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Jonah wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:13 pm You might want to zoom in a bit on this pic that hasn't got the blokes standing in the way then.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6DS7pLXEAA ... name=large

Unless you can think of another word that starts with B and ends ck that usually prefixes b*stard?

Could be "***** in a bucket"

I bet its not though.
It says "bucket" that's even been confirmed by people who see it, stop stirring racial hatred for no reason, there was no racial language in the graffiti!

100% the ones who did it are twats but this isn't a racial incident, stop making it one!