Chiellini/Saka

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Re: Chiellini/Saka

Post by prophet:marginal »

All players cheat - it's just a shades of grey thing, really.

Who doesn't walk at least 5 yards up the pitch, taking a throw-in? Which team doesn't have a defender who immediately puts up his hand for an offside, knowing full well the player was onside, instead? Nearly every player feels a nudge or a kick and then loses his balance when the same kind of contact 25 years ago would have led to a stumble, but an effort to carry on running.

Chiellini is nonetheless the don of the dark arts, but he has an equally willing and capable partner in Bonucci, who, against Spain, or whoever it was they played in the 1/4s, went down literally crying out when, following the changed flight of the ball, an opponent turned and fairly gently collided with him.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Can we really accuse Italy of cheating when we have

Grealish
Sterling
Kane
Saka

All love a tumble in the box
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Re:/Saka

Post by e17 »

Chiellini is brilliant. Proper Italian player.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1860 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

fmgod wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:09 pm Can we really accuse Italy of cheating when we have

Grealish
Sterling
Kane
Saka

A good point well made.
Not just in the box either.
As I tried to say last night, it was so frustrating watching, Kane and Sterling fall over so easily last night (especially Kane) they showed early on the problems they could cause when they didn't. Add to that how poor the free kicks were in the 2nd half, I can't help thinking what might have been.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Their reputation cost them as well, because there were a couple of times where Sterling clearly got fouled and he didn't get the calls. You reap what you sow.
YGNB
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by YGNB »

So many people say the game has gone soft and then say that should be a red for violent conduct. :rofl:
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

The phrase ‘taking one for the team’ is made for the Chiellini shirt pull. Never a red in a million years.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

YGNB wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:41 pm So many people say the game has gone soft and then say that should be a red for violent conduct. :rofl:
Dozens of players will be sent off next season for slightly mistimed tackles that aren't even yellows.

Just pisses me off we go down to 10 men against Chelsea for Balbuena kicking a ball and that gets a yellow for yanking a guy back by his collar.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

This angle really makes it look like a grown man picking on a boy. Image

I get why people are annoyed at this being given as a yellow, but I do believe that the call was correct. Fact is that Chiellini was doing what he had to do in that moment, and who knows, maybe this contributed to Bukayo being put off for his penalty. Perhaps a stretch, but you never know.
Last edited by WCpete on Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

fmgod wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:09 pm Can we really accuse Italy of cheating when we have

Grealish
Sterling
Kane
Saka

At least Kane kept his signature move in his locker this tournament and no-one nearly never broke their neck.

I wonder if this season Grealish will aim for something like the most assists rather than the most "fouled"...
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

WCpete wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:06 pm This angle really makes it look like a grown man picking on a boy. Image

I get why people are annoyed at this being given as a yellow, but I do believe that the call was correct. Fact is that Chiellini was doing what he had to do in that moment, and who knows, maybe this contributed to Bukayo being put off for his penalty. Perhaps a stretch, but you never know.
If we see a PL player getting sent off for that next season, I shall be more than a little bit dischuffed..
Samba

Post by Samba »

In fact, during the first half after a number of Italian fouls, I was beginning to wonder when WAS the Ref going to start giving them some yellow cards & then I realised, he knew that he couldn't give them too early, as they would end up going down to only 7 men..
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Never a red in a million years! A little bit of physicality, is all.

Now Ramos tackle that bust Salah’s shoulder in that Champions League final, THAT was a red in my opinion, but a lot of people said that was fine.

The Italian wasn’t trying to injure the young lad, while Ramos was definitely trying to do Salah.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:15 am Never a red in a million years! A little bit of physicality, is all.

Now Ramos tackle that bust Salah’s shoulder in that Champions League final, THAT was a red in my opinion, but a lot of people said that was fine.

The Italian wasn’t trying to injure the young lad, while Ramos was definitely trying to do Salah.
That wasn't playing football though yesterday, IB, that was assault..
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Samba wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:25 am That wasn't playing football though yesterday, IB, that was assault..
I see your point, but it looks worse than it is as he makes the kid lose his balance.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:38 am I see your point, but it looks worse than it is as he makes the kid lose his balance.
Are you still here?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

smuts wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:04 pm Dozens of players will be sent off next season for slightly mistimed tackles that aren't even yellows.

Just pisses me off we go down to 10 men against Chelsea for Balbuena kicking a ball and that gets a yellow for yanking a guy back by his collar.
Yeah but your talking about the inept corrupt PL officials now.

I think we're all agreed the standard of Ref/VAR was 10x better than the jokers we see week in week out in England.
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

smuts wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:06 pm At least Kane kept his signature move in his locker this tournament and no-one nearly never broke their neck.

I wonder if this season Grealish will aim for something like the most assists rather than the most "fouled"...
Agree with this. Although as they are English they apparently 'have the right to go down' or 'earn the foul'

Seem to remember Kane getting stick on here for his 'back in' trick. As a Spurs friend says ...."he's clever"

Let us not forget Grealish rolling around holding the wrong leg at the LS trying to gain a free kick and possible get a fellow pro booked

Both of those guys are consistent. Stunningly consistent

Don't like what Chiellini did but lets not make more of it.
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by 3times »

That is a red all day long.

If he had pulled the bottom part of the shirt its a yellow. By pulling the neck it would be classed as violent conduct so is a straight red. As was Jorginho on Grealish.

Point to note that after Howard Webb let so much go when he ref'd the WC final it came out that he was instructed to try to keep players on the pitch. Makes you wonder.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

3times wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:02 am That is a red all day long.

If he had pulled the bottom part of the shirt its a yellow. By pulling the neck it would be classed as violent conduct so is a straight red. As was Jorginho on Grealish.
It's a shirt pull, he's not clear through on goal, it's a yellow. I agree that Jorginho, by the letter of the new law, which so far seems to be Apadu's Law, should have gone as he went in with his studs raised but even in that instance the fact that his foot bounced off of the ball and onto Grealish's leg, who acted like he'd been shot, would have probably seen VAR overturn any red. I don't like that rule anyway, sometimes you just go in with your studs raised a bit as it's physics, it's unavoidable, there was absolutely no malice in what Ampadu did.