Chiellini/Saka

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Re: Chiellini/Saka

Post by Happyhammer52 »

If Jorginho goes, then Phillips should have been sent off against the Germans.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Happyhammer52 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:31 am If Jorginho goes, then Phillips should have been sent off against the Germans.
I was watching him against Italy and a couple of times he got lucky too, if this new rule is properly applied next season he's going to get sent off a few times because the one flaw in his game is that he tackles like a League One plodder, every part of his game has come on no end but that is something that needs to be sorted out.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:15 am Never a red in a million years! A little bit of physicality, is all.

Now Ramos tackle that bust Salah’s shoulder in that Champions League final, THAT was a red in my opinion, but a lot of people said that was fine.

The Italian wasn’t trying to injure the young lad, while Ramos was definitely trying to do Salah.
:newthumb:

Chiellini's way of stopping an attack is the most careing there is.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2639 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Gamesmanship ?

They're all at it - at least Chiellini was up front about it - it's the exaggerated ' injury ' that winds me up the most[ Immobile , Kane ] or the complete non-injury such as Maguire tried on late in the game in a desperate attempt to get the opposition sent off .

It's pathetic .

It makes us suspect everyone - I thought Chiesa was at it - perish the thought we don't get another Eriksen and play goes on thinking the injury isn't real .

Anyone caught ****ing an injury [ like Immobile or Maguire ] should be sent off .

p.s. F a k i n g isn't a swear word...yet . :grin:
ClydeBuilt

Post by ClydeBuilt »

Jumby wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:27 am It's a shirt pull, he's not clear through on goal, it's a yellow. I agree that Jorginho, by the letter of the new law, which so far seems to be Apadu's Law, should have gone as he went in with his studs raised but even in that instance the fact that his foot bounced off of the ball and onto Grealish's leg, who acted like he'd been shot, would have probably seen VAR overturn any red. I don't like that rule anyway, sometimes you just go in with your studs raised a bit as it's physics, it's unavoidable, there was absolutely no malice in what Ampadu did.
Yeah it's not a red. It's not a nice looking shirt pull I agree but you can't have tiers for shirt pulling. Its a cynical professional foul done at the right time and the right place on the pitch for it to only reach yellow. Jorginho technically won the ball as you say and momentum took him through. I have sympathy for players because when it is a winnable ball someone has to win and the other unfortunately gets hurt in the loss.

I think the days of seeing proper studs up challenges are well gone but you can still tell if someone is intending harm or not.

Labelling the Italian's as cheats seems a bit in poor taste considering England have plenty players who see no issue in doing that themselves. Perhaps it's a mark of joining the big leagues of world players that you come to terms with that side of the game but hardly surprising Italy etc have all won multiple tournaments if they are prepared to win dirty to get them.
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by 3times »

Jumby wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:27 am It's a shirt pull, he's not clear through on goal, it's a yellow. I agree that Jorginho, by the letter of the new law, which so far seems to be Apadu's Law, should have gone as he went in with his studs raised but even in that instance the fact that his foot bounced off of the ball and onto Grealish's leg, who acted like he'd been shot, would have probably seen VAR overturn any red. I don't like that rule anyway, sometimes you just go in with your studs raised a bit as it's physics, it's unavoidable, there was absolutely no malice in what Ampadu did.
Nothing to do with being clear on goal. Its classed as violent conduct due to the height. You may not agree but it is in the laws.

Question - Saka falls back and lands on his head (which could easily have happened) - what card is it then?
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

3times wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:47 pm Nothing to do with being clear on goal. Its classed as violent conduct due to the height. You may not agree but it is in the laws.

Question - Saka falls back and lands on his head (which could easily have happened) - what card is it then?
It's not violent conduct though, it's a shirt pull, it doesn't matter if it's a sleeve, the bottom of the shirt or the back of the collar. The only reason I mentioned the clear through on goal bit is because that's the only way it could be a red. If he falls on his head he falls on his head, it's still a yellow. If you mistime a tackle, trip a player and they fall into the advertising hoardings and smash out their front teeth does a fairly innocuous challenge go from nothing more than a free kick to a free kick and a red card? No.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

People actually think that was a red?
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

Denzil wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:59 pm People actually think that was a red?
I didn't at the time, yesterday thought that it really pushed the boundaries of a professional foul and could possibly be termed violent conduct (what would a similar offence get in Rugby if you grabbed a collar like that?) and now accept that it's a yellow again.

I can't recall many instances of a shirt pull like that? It was a bit of a one off...
ClydeBuilt

Post by ClydeBuilt »

smuts wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:27 pm I can't recall many instances of a shirt pull like that? It was a bit of a one off...
Horse Caller penalty they call it in the NFL but the extent of it's crime is minimal. Maybe something FIFA will look at but you said it's a unique shirt pull but one that the law currently deems a yellow.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

I hope the petition asking for a replay because 'it wasn't fair' isn't real
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Denzil wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:59 pm People actually think that was a red?
Imagine the reaction to Schumacher against Battiston in 2021
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

smuts wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:27 pm I didn't at the time, yesterday thought that it really pushed the boundaries of a professional foul and could possibly be termed violent conduct (what would a similar offence get in Rugby if you grabbed a collar like that?) and now accept that it's a yellow again.

I can't recall many instances of a shirt pull like that? It was a bit of a one off...
It would be a penalty offence in Rugby Union, as a high/dangerous tackle.
Might get a yellow card for it, might not depending on the ref, definitely not a red.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I know it was against us, but I thought it was a wonderful foul. One of those where the actual foul continues for a while until the opposition player has to be poleaxed unceremoniously.

It was a thing of ugly beauty- bit like the fouler.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I agree , I said at the time it was a "great foul" .

Proper defending
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:55 pm p.s. F a k i n g isn't a swear word...yet . :grin:
It looks like it f a k i n g is..
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

3times wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:02 amPoint to note that after Howard Webb let so much go when he ref'd the WC final it came out that he was instructed to try to keep players on the pitch. Makes you wonder.
Which answers my question on Sunday night about how many fouls are the Italians going to be allowed to make before one of them gets a yellow?
So as I suspected, it was all about keeping the final as a 'spectacle', rather than properly refereeing it.
Anything less than a headbutt into someone's chest & you're staying on.
DM
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by DM »

Doc H Ball wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:04 pm I know it was against us, but I thought it was a wonderful foul. One of those where the actual foul continues for a while until the opposition player has to be poleaxed unceremoniously.

It was a thing of ugly beauty- bit like the fouler.
My thoughts exactly. It was premeditated, composed and executed brilliantly. He knew what he was doing and what the punishment would be. Taking one for the team has never been so encapsulated in a foul like that!
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

Samba wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:19 pm Which answers my question on Sunday night about how many fouls are the Italians going to be allowed to make before one of them gets a yellow?
So as I suspected, it was all about keeping the final as a 'spectacle', rather than properly refereeing it.
Anything less than a headbutt into someone's chest & you're staying on.
Let the team that doesn't feign injury, dive or foul be the ones to approach Uefa about a rule change. Not sure there'd be too much of a petition.

This is a thread i'd love to revisit when we play Spurs, Man Utd or Villa
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by 3times »

Jumby wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:54 pm It's not violent conduct though, it's a shirt pull, it doesn't matter if it's a sleeve, the bottom of the shirt or the back of the collar. The only reason I mentioned the clear through on goal bit is because that's the only way it could be a red. If he falls on his head he falls on his head, it's still a yellow. If you mistime a tackle, trip a player and they fall into the advertising hoardings and smash out their front teeth does a fairly innocuous challenge go from nothing more than a free kick to a free kick and a red card? No.
Whether you think its violent conduct/dangerous play is irrelevant. The laws say it is so should have been a red.

So you think that dragging someone back by the collar that lands on his head would only be a yellow, have a serious think about that. Players should be responsible for each others welfare not just their own. Its why rugby is so far ahead of football is this area. They always look at the worst case scenario and mitigate down depending on the circumstances. Football is the other way.