Chiellini/Saka

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Re: Chiellini/Saka

Post by Jumby »

3times wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:48 am From what I can gather you are all qualified refs as you seem quite sure about the laws. Like I said my information came from a national league level ref.

As my example it was just to demonstrate how a similar offence can be seen in 2 different ways.
You don't need to be a qualified ref to see something, read the rules and correctly call what should have happened, by the letter of the law it's a yellow card and nothing more. I admire your heart to carry on trying to say otherwise but you are seeing something that isn't there and continuing to run with it. You are the only person in this thread who thinks that Chiellini should have gone by the letter of the law, a thread full of upset England fans.
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by 3times »

Jumby wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:28 pm You don't need to be a qualified ref to see something, read the rules and correctly call what should have happened, by the letter of the law it's a yellow card and nothing more. I admire your heart to carry on trying to say otherwise but you are seeing something that isn't there and continuing to run with it. You are the only person in this thread who thinks that Chiellini should have gone by the letter of the law, a thread full of upset England fans.
Or maybe its because I'm the only one that's asked an actual ref for an opinion.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

3times wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:42 pm Or maybe its because I'm the only one that's asked an actual ref for an opinion.
But we have all heard the opinions of ex professionals/top level refs..
3times
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by 3times »

S-H wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:43 pm But we have all heard the opinions of ex professionals/top level refs..
Granted, would guess most professionals (ex or current) don't know all the laws. Refs should and, unfortunately, a lot of the laws are open to interpretation by an individual.

I wasn't sure about the yellow/red situation, so asked the question and will stick by the answer I was given by someone more qualified than me (and I would guess most on this forum). You may say its his interpretation and I can understand that but we have all been at games where we think a certain decision should have been different, its what makes the game interesting.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

This thread has got a little weird now.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:48 am
In the UK, diving/simulation etc are considered cheating by vast majority, but a deliberate foul like yhat which Chiellini carried out is not…
It’s more that the diving is generally for a penalty and so decisive.

There is appropriate punishment for a deliberate foul if clean through or if not. It’s not a concealed cheat so seems more acceptable.

I hated Sterling’s dive and loved Chiellin’s foul whilst cheering England on, so yes it’s strange as to where individuals draw a line.
Xabbu
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Xabbu »

Saka handballed it anyhow. Nothing was ever coming of it. I was more upset with the challenge on Grealish but even then you could argue he won the ball first.