Chiellini/Saka

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Chiellini/Saka

Post by DasNutNock2 »

This was a yellow:

Any argument that it could/should have been a straight red for violent conduct?
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Re: Chiellini/Saka

Post by Happyhammer52 »

DasNutNock2 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:16 pm Any argument that it could/should have been a straight red for violent conduct?
Nope.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Just a bit of shirt-tugging,innit?
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Yeah, I don't see a red card offence there, either, but it was pretty unpleasant to see a young lad being hauled back by his throat like that. As cynical an infringement as I've ever seen.

EDIT - only started this thread because I've been surprised by the amount of social media posts insisting rules should be changed to stop that kind of foul.
Hammer1972
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

Possibly.

A standard shirt pull would impede a player but the impact would be felt around the torso.

In this case the impact would have been felt around the neck, and given the size disparity of the two, it was probably not inconsiderable.

I'm sure the referee applied the rules to the letter of the law, but I wouldn't have felt bad for him if he had been sent off.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

I think it was much more than a normal shirt pull/professional foul. There was more than an element of dangerous play to it.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Hammer1972 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:29 pm Possibly.

A standard shirt pull would impede a player but the impact would be felt around the torso.

In this case the impact would have been felt around the neck, and given the size disparity of the two, it was probably not inconsiderable.

I'm sure the referee applied the rules to the letter of the law, but I wouldn't have felt bad for him if he had been sent off.
I thought it could have been a red to be honest but as someone said to me last night on here, Chiellini is cute enough to know that in Euro final he's never going straight off for it.

Cheating ****.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

White Goodman wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:50 pm I thought it could have been a red to be honest but as someone said to me last night on here, Chiellini is cute enough to know that in Euro final he's never going straight off for it.

Cheating ****.
This.

He's an absolute black belt in the dark arts. Maybe the modern game should introduce a sin bin of around 10 minutes for this kind of offence, and the studs on Grealish.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Jorghino's was worse as it was what Ampadu was sent off for, you can't send off Chiellini for that, if he's not the last man it's not a red card offence, it was a tug back of the shirt, not a choke hold. It was gamesmanship, nothing more.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 167 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

My first reaction was red, a standard shirt pull might slow Saka down a bit but full on dragging him to the deck like that is not on, he (Chiellini) knew he'd been absolutely done. Letter of the law applied and a yellow it was, but to really change that kind of behaviour then a red is the only way to deal with it.

In fact I've lost a lot of respect for Chiellini in this tournament. A bit of s**thousery I can deal with but the guy is just constantly on it.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1489 likes

Post by smuts »

There's a professional foul and then there's that which was downright violent conduct for me.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes

Post by fmgod »

Good tactical foul, yellow all day long, it was pretty ruthless but it was dirty, the clearest red was that Wales player in the 92nd minute where he just scythed the bloke and most said on here it wasn't a red but that was scum as scum could get
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Jorghino should have gone for his stamp on Tom Daly.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

JerseyHammer wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:10 pm

In fact I've lost a lot of respect for Chiellini in this tournament. A bit of s**thousery I can deal with but the guy is just constantly on it.
This I agree with.

The worst of it is , the absolute suck fest from nearly all pundits on Bonucci and Chiellini.

They are good , if not great players but there surely has to be acknowledgment that a fair bit of how they stop other teams is technically cheating.

I was saying the other day to the wife, I'm struggling to think of many other sports around the world where cheating is so prevalent and almost encouraged in some quarters as being a facet you would want to be a good exponent of the game.

Imagine if Tiger Woods kicked his ball a further 30 yards down the fairway every time he thought he could get away with it.
Last edited by White Goodman on Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

Chellini is a complete prick, the bit with him in the coin toss with Alba showed that, they phrased it as banter on TV and the media, he's just a bully a ****ing brilliant defensive one though.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Bonucci and Chiellini are Catenaccio personified, it's something that the great Italian teams, club and country, are built on. It's not pretty and sometimes it can bend the rules to the extreme but I have to say that I'm a fan of it. When Parma had Thuram and Cannavaro they defended in this style, the great Milan side of the 80's and 90's employed it to perfection, for me it's the most effective form of defending.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 149 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

fmgod wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:29 pm Chellini is a complete prick, the bit with him in the coin toss with Alba showed that, they phrased it as banter on TV and the media, he's just a bully a ****ing brilliant defensive one though.
He is a master of mind games. A fantastic defender as is Bonnuci. That tackle on Sterling at the end in the box was sublime defending.

They aren't "cheats" they know how to play the game.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

I'm not sure I'd put Chellini and Bonucci as the same type of player, Bonucci is a good footballer, can play some lovely passes, Chellini is more out and out defender

The thing we didn't do and you need to watch is, Juve in the Champions Leagues last few years, that's how to beat them
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Post by White Goodman »

Happyhammer52 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:37 pm

They aren't "cheats" they know how to play the game.
Yes, by cheating

All of this is cheating, not "playing the game".

He's clearly an absolutely epic footballer in many ways but also an epic cheat. The two things can co-exist I guess.

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

^Same ref as last night.