Could or should we have won the Euro 20/21 final?

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Re: Could or should we have won the Euro 20/21 final?

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

ClydeBuilt wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:22 am A farce of a tournament really. The hoops jumped through to make this work has been incredible. I half wished it would collapse but I think if anything COVID will make this more likely to happen than not.

Maybe maybe not - these things always have a way of surprising us -

Holding the World Cup in an Arabian country is way overdue -

Italy , France , Brazil , Germany and Mexico have hosted the World Cup twice before any Arab Nation was chosen so yeah why not Qatar ?

I'm reading that some teams might be based in Iran or Iran was considered at some point - that would be brilliant in my opinion -

Temperatures in Qatar at the time the World Cup will be played won't be as oppressive as say , Mexico where varying altitude was also a problem . I believe there'll be average temperatures of around 22 degrees .
Last edited by The Old Man of Storr on Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClydeBuilt

Post by ClydeBuilt »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:20 am Maybe maybe not - these things always have a way of surprising us -

Holding the World Cup in an Arabian country is way overdue -

Italy , France , Brazil , Germany and Mexico have hosted the World Cup twice before any Arab Nation was chosen so yeah why not Qatar ?

I'm reading that some teams might be based in Iran or Iran was considered at some point - that would be brilliant in my opinion -

Temperatures in Qatar at the time the World Cup will be played won't be as oppressive as say , Mexico where varying altitude was also a problem . I believe there'll be average temperatures of around 22 degrees .
No I'm with FIFA on spreading the game around its the on record corruption that led to the decision that annoys me along with the sense of 'rewarding' a fairly oppressive regime. Appreciate thats just noise to some people and it wont matter but I think it just makes a circus out of the many failings of Fifa.

An Arab nation should be encouraged to host yes even though I do think temp issues are valid. The unifying benefit of these tournaments can't be dismissed so they need to be taken to parts of the world not regularly used.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

ClydeBuilt wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:06 pm No I'm with FIFA on spreading the game around its the on record corruption that led to the decision that annoys me ....... The unifying benefit of these tournaments can't be dismissed so they need to be taken to parts of the world not regularly used.

Who knows what type of corruption goes on in the selection of hosting nations - why was Mexico chosen to host the World Cup in '86 for instance , they'd held it before in 1970 , were palms greased , I wouldn't know ?

Your last sentence is very relevant . :newthumb:
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1224 likes
Total likes: 1643 likes

Post by last.caress »

S-H wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:10 am Any team that takes the lead, should go on to win, however we all know that football doesn't work like that.
But shirley S-H, if we all know that football doesn't work like that, then it's incorrect to say that any team that takes the lead should go on to win. It's like saying that if I shove a chicken, some spuds and a cauliflower into my washing machine U should get a nice Sunday roast out at the end of the spin cycle but we all know that washing machines don't work like that. :)
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

last.caress wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:50 pm But shirley S-H, if we all know that football doesn't work like that, then it's incorrect to say that any team that takes the lead should go on to win. It's like saying that if I shove a chicken, some spuds and a cauliflower into my washing machine U should get a nice Sunday roast out at the end of the spin cycle but we all know that washing machines don't work like that. :)
:D

I know, I know, I know!!

But we SHOULD have gone on to win it.

So there!

Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

I realise this is off topic so I’m just going to say,I’ve nothing against an Arab nation hosting the World Cup,so how about one that has previously shown interest,you know like Egypt or Morocco,Algeria,Iraq or Iran.

Qatar…all about the moolah-how is Sep Blatter getting on these days?
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

I thought we would win at half time.

I started to worry when we became poor in possession, once they equalised I was worried until it looked to me that Italy were quite happy with extra time and penalties.

I hoped we would go for it more and by bringing Henderson and Sakho on we started, but I think Italy defended what they had and when they do that you know what is going to happen.

I was convinced Pickford would save penalties so was quietly confident and like others I thought Rashford scores we win as the pressure would always be on Italy. His miss swung the pressure back on us.

The decisions made regarding penalty takers was strange but I heard Southgate say that the first five were the the most confident in training. I believe Pickford was down to take number 6. If it had worked his decision would be hailed as bold, as it was the Rashford miss was a typical football moment. It changed things completely. even after that Pickford pulled off a wonder save, but I think the pressure was switched to our last two takers and it clearly got to them against an excellent keeper.

You can argue that certain substitutions could have been made but really after half time they pretty much had our attacking intent nullified by fair or foul means as they are experts at it.