Qatar 2022: Do It Better?

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Re: Qatar 2022: Do It Better?

Post by Macca1973 »

Jon wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:40 am Surely we won’t attend? Despicable country.

At least 6,500 South Asian migrant workers died in Qatar from 2011-2020, the Guardian reported Tuesday, citing government data from India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and Qatar.

-breitbart 24-2-21.
This in a nutshell Jon. Not to mention the fact that homosexuality is illegal in Qatar. Never mind, keep taking the knee, wearing the rainbow laces and picking up the cash, f*cking hypocrites!
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Jumby wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:01 pm I don't think he's as good as Walker, Trippier or James right now and I don't think Southgate thought he was either.
Poor choice of words, by me.

I was meaning to raise whether, if TAA had been available, he could have played wide right in a 3-4-3, in front of Walker (and not ahead of him in the pecking order of selection).

We might not have had to rely on a two stage process (get it to Kane who might find Sterling or Saka), if Alexander-Arnold was able to play those diagonal balls over the defence for Sterling to move towards.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2639 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

At least you can all rest easy in the thought that the powerhouse of World Football that is Wales won't be there to prevent your march onto World domination .

Unless we get to qualify by some dodgy 3rd Best Of The Rest route of course ?

Then it's business as usual and we can all look forward to some more banter .

I'll get mine in first -

You're shyte .
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:22 am At least you can all rest easy in the thought that the powerhouse of World Football that is Wales won't be there to prevent your march onto World domination .

I'll get mine in first -

You're shyte .
I'm pretty certain we've already booked our play off place via the Nations League, that said we are not doing too badly in the qualifying group but I think the next three years are absolutely crucial as to where we go next, watching Mepham just getting in the way against Denmark and Neco Williams looking like a YTS on trial in the same game wasn't good. People on here are talking about right back, right wing back for England

Walker
Trippier
James
Alexander-Arnold

Then you look what Wales have there,

Roberts
Gunter
Neco Williams

It's quite worrying.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:22 am At least you can all rest easy in the thought that the powerhouse of World Football that is Wales won't be there to prevent your march onto World domination .

I'll get mine in first -

You're shyte .
:D :newthumb:
Straight fight between you & the Czechs, I'd say.
ROI got a tough fight as well.
taust68
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by taust68 »

The Green Man wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:43 pm I'd love to see Foden played in a CM role, he played predominantly as a LW for City this season but the season before showed he was more than capable as a CM, Maddison is another who I'd like to see in Qatar. I think we'd absolutely dominate with the below line up.

----Kane------Watkins---
-----------------------------
Grealish---------Maddison
----------Foden-----------
-----------Rice------------
Shaw--------------Walker
-----Maguire--Stones----
----------------------------
----------Pickford--------

Like others have said, if we want to win tournaments we can try and keep it tight but eventually fall short against the very top teams or go out and impose ourselves, and then shut up shop if we need to, to close out games.

The above would give most teams kittens as we'd be able to press ridiculously high up while keeping our back 4 fairly defensive and Grealish, Maddison and Foden are excellent at holding on to the ball, Kane can also drop deep to link up the play while Watkins can run the channels. Appreciate Maddison had a poor season by his standards (still got over 10 goals and assists!) but watching these Euros he'll be more determined to be in the WC squad so I can see him having a very good season. If not, Sancho/Sterling/Saka can take this spot.

We still have the Phillips/Rice double pivot to go back to now but I feel like Rice is more than strong enough to screen the back four and also to break up the play high in the pitch like Spain did against Italy with Busquets playing this role.

The only reason Spain didn't put Italy to the sword in the first half was because they lacked a Kane, they had two ABSOLUTE sitters against Italy and didn't get a shot away either time. They also had 71% possession and over double the shots..!
I like this starting line up, I can't see Southgate playing it though
Rozzop
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Post by Rozzop »

The Green Man wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:43 pm I'd love to see Foden played in a CM role, he played predominantly as a LW for City this season but the season before showed he was more than capable as a CM, Maddison is another who I'd like to see in Qatar. I think we'd absolutely dominate with the below line up.

----Kane------Watkins---
Grealish---------Maddison
----------Foden-----------
-----------Rice------------
Shaw--------------Walker
-----Maguire--Stones----
----------------------------
----------Pickford--------

Like others have said, if we want to win tournaments we can try and keep it tight but eventually fall short against the very top teams or go out and impose ourselves, and then shut up shop if we need to, to close out games.

The above would give most teams kittens as we'd be able to press ridiculously high up while keeping our back 4 fairly defensive and Grealish, Maddison and Foden are excellent at holding on to the ball, Kane can also drop deep to link up the play while Watkins can run the channels. Appreciate Maddison had a poor season by his standards (still got over 10 goals and assists!) but watching these Euros he'll be more determined to be in the WC squad so I can see him having a very good season. If not, Sancho/Sterling/Saka can take this spot.

We still have the Phillips/Rice double pivot to go back to now but I feel like Rice is more than strong enough to screen the back four and also to break up the play high in the pitch like Spain did against Italy with Busquets playing this role.

The only reason Spain didn't put Italy to the sword in the first half was because they lacked a Kane, they had two ABSOLUTE sitters against Italy and didn't get a shot away either time. They also had 71% possession and over double the shots..!
That team would get hammered in a high line.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Qatar 2022 World Cup Song, I want it to be by The Pet Shop Boys, I want it be super synthy and I want the chorus to go....

Gareth's men, you will go far
There's not just one, you're all a star
Take a knee, raise the bar
Rainbow laces in Qatar

Let's see the locals swallow that one
The Old Man of Storr

Jumby wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:49 pm Qatar 2022 World Cup Song, I want it to be by The Pet Shop Boys, I want it be super synthy and I want the chorus to go....

Gareth's men, you will go far
There's not just one, you're all a star
Take a knee, raise the bar
Rainbow laces in Qatar

Let's see the locals swallow that one
:grin:
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Walker for me is the weakest link.

I know he had a decent Euros, but he is prone to gaffs and I just think the other options are better. Reece James in particular is one who I think will end up being our permanent right back. He’s class.

Mount is a good player but doesn’t do much in an England shirt. You’d hope that one of Saka, Sancho, Greenwood or Rashford will be in good enough form by next winter to come in instead.
Reg Stretch
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Reg Stretch »

Why has it not been announced how our domestic season is going to fit in around this vile tournament ?
The Old Man of Storr

I'm old and don't understand anything anymore , am I right in thinking if Wales beat Belgium we get to play our Play Off semi final at Home and if we do that who do we play ?

Last time Wales qualified for a World Cup I was 2 years old - I'm 65 now . :grin:
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Rumblins that England players 'may make a statement' once qualified. I'd hugely admire a boycott. What would be the consequences though? Future bans by FIFA? Believe Norway, Germany and (Holland?) have already expressed misgivings.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -confirmed
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1335 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

vietnammer wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:26 am Rumblins that England players 'may make a statement' once qualified. I'd hugely admire a boycott. What would be the consequences though? Future bans by FIFA? Believe Norway, Germany and (Holland?) have already expressed misgivings.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -confirmed
Good for them if they do.
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

vietnammer wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:26 am I'd hugely admire a boycott.
Might as well. They won't win it.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Not coming on here to preach and moralise, I've worked in the Gulf and was very glad with the money. Owever, the extent of exploitation of unskilled workers from poor countries has been highlighted by the Qatar World Cup. Not that it hasn't been going on for decades in construction, mainly.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... -nightmare

"employed in housekeeping, security, valet service, cleaning or gardening said they earned less than £1.25 an hour. Many were working for less than £1 an hour."

"Ranjit’s salary works out at about 80p an hour. Yet for five months he kept nothing; everything went towards paying off the illegal £1,300 fee he was forced to hand a recruitment agent back home to secure the job. “It’s a scam,” he said. “Here they suck your blood.

This isn't football's fault imo. Nor is it FIFA's apart from ignoring the wider consequences of what happens in 'big projects' in the Gulf. The abuses stretch into other, poorer regions where every sodding snide will exploit it. Must surely be getting to a stage where the issues must be addressed. A boycott will do nothing for these people, but it might be a significant influence on wider issues. NOT going to watch the ****ing thing anyway.