The next gig you're going to

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 772 likes

Re: The next gig you're going to

Post by Korea Hammer »

Acquired tickets for Panda Bear and Sonic Boom in April :coolas:
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Small Fakers, sat 11th Feb, Chinnerys, Southend
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Girlschool were pretty damn good last night .

On the other hand, Alcatrazz, the support band, were indescribably awful - they would have been outdated in the 70s let alone now. The guitarist (Joe Stump, apparently) was beyond awful - lots of wanky twiddling that barely belonged to the same song as the rest of the band.

First time I've been to a gig at Camden Underworld, and really liked it as a venue - loud without being ear-wrecking and decent size
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Kludgehammer wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:27 am
On the other hand, Alcatrazz, the support band, were indescribably awful - they would have been outdated in the 70s let alone now. The guitarist (Joe Stump, apparently) was beyond awful - lots of wanky twiddling that barely belonged to the same song as the rest of the band.
Surely not the same band formed by Graham Bonnett that had Steve Vai on guitar at one point?
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

The very same - also previously had Ynngwwiieieii Malmsteen as guitarist at one point as well. I got the impression that the guy last night was either chosen because he's a similar type of highly technical player, or was trying to play in that style, but unfortunately the end result was a lot of self-indulgent guitar **** that often didn't even fit with what the rest of the band were playing. It doesn't help that I don't like that widdly-twiddly stuff at the best of times, but when the widdly-twiddler doesn't appear to be playing the same song as the rest of the band, it's not a great result.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

S Club 7 reunion tickets booked.

Come at me.
Gaz
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Gaz »

So I went to see Royksopp last night at the Troxy.

My first 'electronic' gig since Depeche Mode in '90, intervening years I've seen dozens of rock / metal gigs so this felt like a new experience.

Despite them being one of my favourite acts at the moment I have to say I think I am slightly disappointed with what essentially amounted to a DJ set with some dancers and a laser light show.

Love the music, it was nice to hear the music, and be in the same room as the band for a while but it's the only time I've left a gig before the encore. The last song I heard was a trentmoller remix of one of my favourite songs when I would have preferred to hear the original.

Anyway, that was my cue to bail because of a slightly awkward journey home and an early start today.

Just wondered what anyone else thinks, have they had the same experience, should I be thinking about it differently?

Normal service resumes next month with Morrissey and in June with Muse.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

hammers92 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:21 am S Club 7 reunion tickets booked.

Come at me.
Korea Hammer

Post by Korea Hammer »

Robyn Hitchcock tomorrow night, for about the 30th time

This is my favourite song from his last album

YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

I've just booked to go and see Joyce Manor in July. Got Death Cab For Cutie next month, and The National in September. Hoping to get boygenius tickets when they go on sale next week.

I can't see myself booking too many more this year unless something essential - for me - comes along which those four all are. Money being a bit tight and the will to go to a concert I kind of, sort of want to go to getting lower and lower as I get older kind of dictates that unless I'm really keen, I'm not going to bother. There's a few bands I'd like to see and I'm keeping an eye on for tours, though.
Big George wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:10 pm 25th March Self Esteem At Hammersmith Odeon
Had tickets for them in Hull this week, but had to sell them as my days with the kids changed. Then they changed again, so the replacement ones I bought for Manchester had to get sold as well.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

Mrs SBH bought herself a ticket for Young Fathers on Sunday night, but sadly social anxiety got the better of her so I inherited her ticket.

Very intense hiphop with blues, rock and gospel influences among others. They only played for an hour with no encore, but very good all the same.
stop_hammertime
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by stop_hammertime »

stop_hammertime wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:31 pm
Chihei Hatakeyama + Loscil + Hatis Noit, live at EartH Theatre. 25th Feb.
This was a really great show - Really impressed with Hatis Noit, wow. What an incredibly talented vocalist. Really was quite mesmerizing. Loscil was great live and the visuals were really quite stunning. Chihei, well what can I say...Was just in awe the hour or so he played. Brilliant show.

Funny story, Chihei somehow followed me on Instagram. We chatted and I mentioned I had a spare ticket for the game on Saturday (Forrest) and asked if he fancied going along. He said in any other circumstance he would have gone as he loves football (supports Arsenal), but had to prep for the show. Met after the show with him and a couple of others, had a drink & some food, we all chatted about his tour, music, football and our daily lives. Was a very surreal feeling!
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

King Gizzard.... at the Ally Pally end of March.

Peter Gabriel in June, The Boss in July, and Pigs x7 in October currently. There's an eclectic mix for you!
Korea Hammer

Post by Korea Hammer »

Great little review, stop-h, but the news that Chihei Hatakeyama is an Arsenal fan must have broken whatever tiny pieces of my heart were left after last night's match.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Depeche Mode, Twickenham in June.

Tickets still available and not sold out - which at the ****ing price they are, it's hardly surprising. I very nearly didn't buy them, but I spotted that I would be entitled to a free carers ticket due to being on PIP and having a blue badge.

If I'd had to pay full price for the two, then there's no way on this earth that I would have been going.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

-DL- wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:40 pm Depeche Mode, Twickenham in June.

Tickets still available and not sold out - which at the ****ing price they are, it's hardly surprising. I very nearly didn't buy them, but I spotted that I would be entitled to a free carers ticket due to being on PIP and having a blue badge.

If I'd had to pay full price for the two, then there's no way on this earth that I would have been going.
This is the first tour I've not got tickets for since 1990. Prices are through the roof and Twickenham is horrendous to get home from on public transport in the evening.

Rumours are they're doing the arenas in early 2024 so might take a look then depending on the setlist.

It will be weird not having Fletch on stage doing his odd dance moves and pressing a keyboard once every fee songs.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

smuts wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:19 pm This is the first tour I've not got tickets for since 1990. Prices are through the roof and Twickenham is horrendous to get home from on public transport in the evening.

Rumours are they're doing the arenas in early 2024 so might take a look then depending on the setlist.

It will be weird not having Fletch on stage doing his odd dance moves and pressing a keyboard once every fee songs.
Another bonus of having a blue badge - they have dedicated disabled parking (and only £3.50, pre-booked which I've already done) so I can drive there. I'll be coming from The West too, so should make it a bit easier to get away from.

It's going to be odd having no Fletch, but this is the first gig I've been able to do since their last tour in 2018, and as I was able to get two for one, thought I may as well.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

The 1990 gig I went to is still one of the best shows I've ever seen. Absolutely brilliant from start to finish.

Crystal Palace 93 was good when it finally got going when the sun went down, sadly Dave was on his smack head Rock star phase.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Limehouse Lizzy@ Colchester Arts Centre- 26th May

Depeche Mode@ Twickenham- 17th June

O.M.D. @ Fulham Palace- 28th July
-DL-
Bag Man