The next gig you're going to

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

woodgreenspur
Has liked: 93 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Re: The next gig you're going to

Post by woodgreenspur »

The Spitfires(again)
Somewhere in Watford on Saturday.
Private gig/party for the singers Birthday
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 364 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

woodgreenspur wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:00 pm The Spitfires(again)
Somewhere in Watford on Saturday.
Private gig/party for the singers Birthday
Nice one :newthumb:

Have they got a new drummer now?
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 93 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Billy Hunt wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:41 pm Nice one :newthumb:

Have they got a new drummer now?
Yes,think he has played a gig as well by now.
I saw them in St Albans the other month and the old drummer then had 2 gigs left.
Also a newish young lady ton keyboard as well.
Billy Hunt

Post by Billy Hunt »

woodgreenspur wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:47 pm Yes,think he has played a gig as well by now.
I saw them in St Albans the other month and the old drummer then had 2 gigs left.
Also a newish young lady ton keyboard as well.
Cheers :newthumb:

Been a couple of years most likely since I last saw them now, London and Southend gigs have clashed with other things

Sounds like it will be a good night this one
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1682 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Not a gig as such,,,,

Going to see "An audience John Lydon" in Lincoln tomorrow.

My sister bought me a ticket so I'm obliged to go.

Anyone got any questions you want me to ask him ? :)
Billy Hunt

Post by Billy Hunt »

WHU Independent wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:55 pm Not a gig as such,,,,

Going to see "An audience John Lydon" in Lincoln tomorrow.

My sister bought me a ticket so I'm obliged to go.

Anyone got any questions you want me to ask him ? :)
How about asking him what he actually knew about Jimmy Saville in the 70s and who were the others that were involved ?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Billy Hunt wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:30 am How about asking him what he actually knew about Jimmy Saville in the 70s and who were the others that were involved ?
I bet the BBC have bunged him a few quid to not talk about that.
Billy Hunt

Post by Billy Hunt »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:41 am I bet the BBC have bunged him a few quid to not talk about that.
Quite possibly, and he would gladly have taken it too
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1682 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Well I saw him (Johnny Rotten) in Lincoln last night and his phrase "Have you ever felt like you've been cheated" sprung right to mind.

Basically for the first hour he basically did a monologue about his early life in North London with a view to eliciting a sympathetic response from the audience i.e his dad made him do stuff he wasn't interested in, namely car mechanics, and ended every phrase with "You Cword": he went to a school run by nuns who were sadists, how he was terrified of going into the choir because he would be abused by priests: his meningitis and year (or two, he was a bit inconsistent) in a coma and this gave him a fear of sleeping and missing out on life.

The guy that was there to ask him questions, got to ask one question before Rotten was back on his monologue again.

The second half of the show as a Q&A with the Q's being supplied by the audience in the stalls. This was obviously censored and set up to give him a chance to go into another rant. He was asked about the other sex pistols (Matlock: a spoilt Beatle loving middle class toff: Cook and Jones: He's having nothing to do with then, they are incommunicado, they've stabbed him in the back and financially ruined him: Sid: A loveable rogue but a bit simple and a massive addict. His mum bought him a bag of heroin and a needle for his birthday, allegedly)

About PIL - he's doing a tour soon with the non classic line up (no Levine, Walker of Wobble) to get some cash. His book - that was on sale for an eye watering £50 and was being bought by the bucket load (but not by me.) His life - a few anecdotes about being on tour, nothing ground breaking or eye opening. Then he went on a "Bring Britain back to how it was years ago" rant, which was just a gnats hair width away from being something you would hear at a Britain First rally.

He ended the show, as I have seen on the internet previously, by getting the audience to join in with him doing a rendition of Fernando by Abba. It was at this point I left.

On the plus side Rotten can tell a good story, spin a yarn and keep you entertained - for a while. He is certainly charismatic, opinionated and a larger than life character. I can only describe it as being locked in a room with a coked up bloke for two hours who starts telling you a good story for a while but then goes on and on and on about all aspects of his life, that you are really not interested, whilst omitting all the juicy bits you want to hear about.

I was glad that I didn't pay for the tix - it was a gift from my sister - because if I would have paid the £30 sovs I would have definitely felt cheated.
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

More importantly did he admint to having it away with the Farmers Wife?
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1981 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Lounge Society - Oct 10th
King Hannah - Oct 28th

Also just bagged tickets for Low at St George's Church in Brighton, which is a record 5th time seeing the same band at the same venue, and also a record for the furthest in advance I've bought tickets. Bet I forget.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:19 am Kevin Bloody Wilson, next month in Chatham.
I'm seeing him in Reading, normally a good show.

Next week Steve Hackett, because my wife loves old Genesis, personally I find it a bit boring.

Phil Campbell and the b*stard sons at the end of November in Bournemouth.

Gutted that I had to give away my Black Stone Cherry tickets as we were away, sounds like they were their usual selves, good shows.
Billy Hunt

Post by Billy Hunt »

WHU Independent wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:49 pm Well I saw him (Johnny Rotten) in Lincoln last night and his phrase "Have you ever felt like you've been cheated" sprung right to mind.
Cheers for the review - certainly not one to look out for. I've heard similar from other people that went along to one of these too
westham,eggyandchips

Liam Gallagher, Knebworth, 4th June 2022.

Say what you like about the bloke, he puts on a show and sells out venues. He's added a second night due to demand. :shocker:

To think just four years ago he was on his arse and Noel was the main man.
stop_hammertime
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by stop_hammertime »

I managed to see Nick Cave and Warren Ellis last night at the Royal Albert hall. Nothing short of spectacular, I was completely mesmerised the entire show.
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes

Post by smuts »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:58 pm Liam Gallagher, Knebworth, 4th June 2022.

Say what you like about the bloke, he puts on a show and sells out venues. He's added a second night due to demand. :shocker:

I know a few people whose met Liam and they've all said he was great. Probably when he wasn't on the bugle or Stella...

Good luck to him. Pretty ironic that he'll be coining it in due to the ongoing popularity of his estranged brother's songs. I've been listening to a lot of Oasis again lately and still enjoying it, even the latter albums.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

stop_hammertime wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:37 pm I managed to see Nick Cave and Warren Ellis last night at the Royal Albert hall. Nothing short of spectacular, I was completely mesmerised the entire show.
I saw them in Glasgow on Monday night and I agree. Great night.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Tuesday gone, Manic Street Preachers, Barrowlands , Glasgow.

Great venue but a band going through the motions - note perfect throughout, but lacking warmth.

Tomorrow night, The Waterboys, Ipswich.
westham,eggyandchips

smuts wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:48 pm I know a few people whose met Liam and they've all said he was great. Probably when he wasn't on the bugle or Stella...

Good luck to him. Pretty ironic that he'll be coining it in due to the ongoing popularity of his estranged brother's songs. I've been listening to a lot of Oasis again lately and still enjoying it, even the latter albums.
I think his Missus being in charge of PR/management has also benefitted him too.
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus
Has liked: 247 likes
Total likes: 195 likes

Post by Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:58 pm Liam Gallagher, Knebworth, 4th June 2022.

Just got two tickets myself for the Friday, with these and the Foo Fighters tickets I also blagged this old girl is back in business