PSF: Brentford 0-1 West Ham Utd (31/07/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator :  Gnome

Ricardo2

PSF: Brentford 0-1 West Ham Utd (31/07/21)

Post by Ricardo2 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:55 am

Brentford FC vs West Ham United FC
Saturday 31st July 2021
Brentford Community Stadium
Kick Off: 15:00

Tickets: Away allocation SOLD OUT

Home tickets currently on sale to members and some might make it to general sale.

"The Hammers are set to take on the Bees two weeks out from the start of the new Premier League, as David Moyes’ men fine-tune their preparations for the 2021/22 campaign.
Brentford won promotion to the top flight last term, defeating Swansea City in the Championship Play-Off final after finishing third in the table for a second season in succession.
The 2021/22 season will be Brentford’s first in the top division for 74 years and marks the culmination of a decade of rapid progress from League One to the Premier League.

The Hammers’ trip to the Brentford Community Stadium will also mark the official opening of the west Londoners’ new home, after spending most of their debut campaign in the 17,250-capacity stadium without supporters present."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

PRE-SEASON FIXTURES:

Brentford -

AFC WIMBLEDON 0 – 1 BRENTFORD
BOREHMAN WOOD 0 – 2 BRENTFORD
MANCHESTER UNITED v BRENTFORD Wed 28th July
BRENTFORD v WEST HAM UTD Sat 31st July
BRENTFORD v VALENCIA CF Sat 7th August

West Ham -

DUNDEE UTD 2 – 2 WEST HAM UTD (Baptiste, Bowen PEN)
NORTHAMPTON TOWN 1 – 2 WEST HAM UTD (Nelson OG, Coventry)
LEYTON ORIENT 0 – 0 WEST HAM UTD
READING 0 – 3 WEST HAM UTD (Dorsett OG, Coventry, Johnson)
CELTIC 2 – 6 WEST HAM UTD ( Antonio 2, Noble PEN, Benrahma, Bowen, Oko-Flex)
BRENTFORD v WEST HAM UTD Sat 31st July
WEST HAM UTD v ATALANTA Sat 7th August

BOWEN - 2
ANTONIO - 2
COVENTRY - 2
JOHNSON - 1
NOBLE - 1
BENRAHMA - 1
OKO-FLEX - 1
BAPTISTE - 1

____________________________________________________________________________________________

PREVIOUS MEETING -

Match report from the OS.

West Ham United 2-1 Brentford
Pre-Season Match

West Ham United's winning start to pre-season continued on Saturday as David Moyes' men saw off Brentford at London Stadium.

Andriy Yarmolenko and Tomas Soucek were on target with a goal either side of the break to ensure Marcus Forss' 32nd minute leveller would not end their 100 per cent record in preparation for the 2020/21 campaign.

Following wins over Wycombe Wanderers and Ipswich Town in midweek, the 2-1 success against the Bees was another step forward ahead of the Premier League campaign, which kicks-off in two weeks' time against Newcastle United.

It was Brentford who started the brighter, however, and Sergi Canos was the width of a post away from giving them a second minute lead.

His right-footed strike from the edge of the box had Lukasz Fabianski worried, but bounced off the foot of the far post and back out to safety, where the hosts scrambled to safety.

Josh Dasilva then fizzed an effort just wide of the mark from 20 yards, and West Ham responded by opening the scoring with just five minutes played.

Pablo Fornals laid the goal on for Yarmolenko expertly, delaying his pass until the winger had burst into space in the right channel. Bees full back Rico Henry could not recover in time, sliding in vain as Yarmolenko’s shot nestled in Luke Daniels’ net.

Brentford, perhaps feeling a touch unfortunate to concede the first goal, came back strongly and Angelo Ogbonna needed to block Ethan Pinnock’s shot from close range after a set-piece dropped inside the West Ham box.

At the other end Grady Diang and Pablo Fornals combined nearly to make their way into the Brentford box on 26 minutes. Fornals tried to return possession to his teammate with a backheel, and although it was cut out, the ricochet fell nicely for the Spaniard to shoot goalwards and force Daniels into a scrambling save.

Brentford’s main threat was coming down their left hand side, and full back Henry got up the pitch well to latch onto Canos’ cushioned header on 30 minutes, but looped his shot over the bar when well placed.

Two minutes later, the pair combined to better effect, as Henry’s run inside off the flank was met by a pass from Canos, allowing the left back to drill over a cross which Forss directed into Fabianski’s net with a forceful downward header.

With the scores level at the break, David Moyes made seven changes to his side, and two of the half-time arrivals combined to re-establish the lead for the hosts just past the hour.

Michail Antonio had too much strength for Henrik Dalsgaard as he forged a path into the Bees’ area, and as Pontus Jansson got back towards him, the No30 laid off for Soucek to take a touch and roll into the net.

Charlie Goode stabbed a shot straight at Fabianski as Brentford tried to hit-back from a set-piece, but West Ham finished the stronger and twice tested Daniels in the closing stages.

Felipe Anderson was involved in both chances, setting up the first for Manuel Lanzini with a square pass just outside the box. Lanzini took a touch and tried to bend a shot inside the right hand post, but the Bees keeper dived to push away.

Then, with four minutes left, the Brazilian winger ran round the outside of centre-back Goode and shot low towards the far post. Again, Daniels was equal to the effort, plunging down to his left to save.

West Ham United: Fabianski, Fredericks (Johnson 58), Balbuena, Ogbonna, Cresswell (Masuaku 46), Noble (Cullen 46), Wilshere (Soucek 46), Diang (Bowen 46), Fornals (Lanzini 46), Yarmolenko (Felipe Anderson 46), Haller (Antonio 46 (Coventry 74))
Subs: Randolph, Baptiste

Goals: Yarmolenko 5, Soucek 61

Brentford: Daniels, Henry (Roerslev 62), Pinnock (Goode 62), Norgaard (Sorensen 62), Canos (Thompson 62), Jensen (Maghoma 62), Dasilva (Marcondes 62), Forss (Zamburek 62), Jansson (Valencia 62), Mbeumo (Fosu 62), Dalsgaard (Mogensen 62)
Subs: Balcombe

Goal: Forss 32

Referee: Stuart Attwell

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

No announcements for streaming as yet (that I have noticed anyway) but hoping it will be broadcast online at least.

Am fully expecting Coufal and Soucek to just turn up and play, even if they are not in the squad. They must be champing at the bit by now!!

funky chicken
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 111 likes

Re: ⚽ Brentford v West Ham Utd: Match Thread

Post by funky chicken » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:43 pm

I suspect like the Celtic game we will try and give full 90
Minutes, or a considerable amount of time to any of the players that are likely to start against Newcastle. As will be the case against Atlanta. Maybe Antonio having a breather and saved for the Atlanta game and Bowen playing up front for this game. If Soucek, Coufal and Yarmo are back for this one they’ll get at least 30 minutes too. And Fabianski will play a little longer after his 45 minutes against Celtic.

We will certainly find out in these next 2 friendlies which youngsters Moyes is seriously considering keeping in the first team squad for the opening Premier League matches. If the likes of Coventry and Alves are still in the squads and are especially getting some minutes then it’s probably set in stone.

MafiaLeader

Post by MafiaLeader » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:30 pm

I hope Johnson, Alves and Coventry get at least 45 mins. It would also be great to see Okoflex given some time after his tidy goal against the hoops. The u23's are playing the night before, so I presume the squad will be similar to the one we saw in Glasgow yesterday.

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by the pink palermo » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:15 pm

Looking forward to this one, first trip to their new gaff. Bit of a trek across town but needs must.

They will be far tougher opponents than Yesterday, but are likely bottom 5 contenders for most of the season.

A decent win against them could shatter their confidence before the season starts. I quite like their manager though, their players seem to want to run for him.

Aceface
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Aceface » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:38 pm

Need to sign a forward soon, can't handle the stress of watching Antonio being on the pitch at the moment.

1984 QPR at home
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by 1984 QPR at home » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:50 pm

a 10min stroll across kew bridge for me, after sinking a few in the boozer of course!

Kialos
Has liked: 48 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Kialos » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:59 pm

Right by Kew Bridge station

1984 QPR at home
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by 1984 QPR at home » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:36 pm

yeah can either grab a few beers in the pubs in chiswick by the river, or over the bridge in kew green. get off at kew gardens, grab a beer there and walk 5/10 mins to the ground.

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Puff Daddy » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:51 pm

Nice little curtaim raiser to the new season this and an even nicer, gentle afternoon in the summer sun for all who are going to enjoy. I expect us to put in a decent performance for our fans and come out with a morale boosting win

sendô
Has liked: 227 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by sendô » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:42 pm

Seems like madness having a pre-season friendly against a team we're going to be playing in the league.

irongav

Post by irongav » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:38 pm

Looking forward to this game and a new ground, no idea if we will be allowed to go as away fans in the season, so thought i would get in while we can!

Anybody received their tickets Yet, I'm assuming were getting tickets and not an email/app thing?

Kialos
Has liked: 48 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Kialos » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:55 pm

Mine arrived this morning, an actual paper ticket. No instructions re the C word.

irongav

Post by irongav » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:59 pm

Kialos wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:55 pm
Mine arrived this morning, an actual paper ticket. No instructions re the C word.
Ah thats good to know, fingers crossed mine are en route....thanks

old fart
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by old fart » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:59 pm

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

No announcements for streaming as yet (that I have noticed anyway) but hoping it will be broadcast online at least.

Am fully expecting Coufal and Soucek to just turn up and play, even if they are not in the squad. They must be champing at the bit by now!!
[/quote]

Live on BT sport

old fart
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by old fart » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:00 pm

Dp

carnage
Total likes: 1 like

Post by carnage » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:22 pm

sendô wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:42 pm
Seems like madness having a pre-season friendly against a team we're going to be playing in the league.
We do it quite often. City a couple of years ago wasn’t it?

w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham

Post by w4hammer » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:02 pm

just down the road for me also- I shall be in the home end as I didnt think id get a ticket (on 38 away points ..!) Ive been to a match there already -its a very different ground to the old one and really wierd having a load of flats overlooking the ground ...just like the east stand of old- I dont think theyve allocated an away pub however rumour tells me " https://www.oneovertheait.co.uk/ a fullers pub which is brentford side of kew bridge is it ( or will be) its a big boozer with a large garden area . Expresstavern is a great pub just on the junction by the station

Im having a drink on kew green

I think alot of schedules have been thrown together - brentford are playing at Man U tomorrow and i saw arsenal and spurs are playing a "friendly"

Hopefully they'll rest Toney on account of us buying him ;-)

funky chicken
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 111 likes

Post by funky chicken » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:28 am

sendô wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:42 pm
We have to play them at some point. We can't hide away forever. And with the greatest respect, if we're worried about playing Brentford, who will be one of the favourites to go down, than we really do have some problems!

It's not like they, or other teams wouldn't know how we play, or what our strengths and weaknesses are. If anything it could be an advantage to us as at least we can learn a little bit more about Brentford and how they play before we play them with points at stake. :newthumb:

larryberyl

Post by larryberyl » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:30 am

Fabianski
johnson diop alves cresswell
noble coventry lanzini
benrahma bowen holland

rest antonio from this one please.back for atalanta

subs randolph fredericks ashby dawson baptiste longello oxiflex oludepo fornals

need a good game from alves coventry and holland to push their chances of making the first team squad

SiamHammer
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by SiamHammer » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:08 am

I see Okiflex is your new favourite misspelling to go with Oludepo & Masuaka