✍ Welcome Alphonse Areola

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Re: ✍ Alphonse Areola

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

I like this lad and we wouid be mad to let him go, I feel more assured when his in goal than I do fab, his not frightened to come for crosses his kicking is good especially to the wings ( fabs 9 times out of 10 go out of play ) and I always worry with fab at free kicks but that’s just my opinion, I think areola needs more games :thup:
blahblahblah
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by blahblahblah »

I would not be surprised to see roles reversed next year with Fabianski taking cup and early Champs league duties and Areola handling the premier league.
Boleyn_Hammer
Has liked: 310 likes
Total likes: 214 likes

Post by Boleyn_Hammer »

blahblahblah wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:39 pm I would not be surprised to see roles reversed next year with Fabianski taking cup and early Champs league duties and Areola handling the premier league.
I see what you did there :winker:
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

He's done well so far, but he's hardly been tested in most of the games. I missed the Manchester cup games (on holiday) so he may have been amazing in them. If he stays beyond this season he may well be No1 soon but right now Fab is still doing his stuff.
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

Areola will be our number one after Fab goes.

He will sign for us £11m is an absolute steal.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:58 pm Didn't have to work that hard for it but can't quibble with 6 clean sheets in 9 games for the big fella. And a brilliant early ball out to Antonio to lead up to the first goal.

I've still got this niggling thought in my head that bringing him in for Fabianski would have saved us 4/5 goals over the season so far.
100% agree. I love Fabianski, but I do think he has let a lot of soft goals in. I think where Fabianski has been lucky is whenever he’s had a game when he has let a cheap goal in he’s then followed it up with a more solid performance. Thus it gets brushed under the carpet. I reckon if the Palace home game, Man Utd home game, Brentford home game and the Villa game were played back to back he would’ve lost his place to Areola by now.

That’s not to say Areola has been 100 perfect either. He needs to claim the ball and punch less on crosses. And he has also let at least 1, if not 2 soft goals in himself. The 1st Genk goal IMO was as bad as anything Fabianski has conceded this season. And wasn’t great for the Spuds 2nd goal too. Albeit debatable if offside or not. But overall I have been impressed with him. And I do think he’ll settle in and get better and better the more consecutive games he plays.

Our 1st priority for the summer window should be to get Areola signed up on a permanent deal. I’ll be very disappointed if we don’t. Especially if his replacement is Sam Johnstone.
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1162 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

We are lucky to have that particular choice, but I agree we should sign him up quickly. Fab won’t get better, but he’s still good now. The key though is who else would we buy for £10-15m in that position that is better than both?
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

The big plus for Areola over Fabianski was really clear yesterday - he is far more commanding in the air, certainly from corners and deliveries into the box.

He came for and caught the ball at the edge of the 6 yard box(maybe even further out) yesterday whereas Fabianski would have left it to the defence.

We are in a good position right now to have a couple of keepers at a very decent level, assuming both stay I'd expect their roles to reverse over the course of the next year
GetUrWangOut
Has liked: 76 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by GetUrWangOut »

Good keep and I think the big advantage he has over Fab is his distribution - if he’s £11m there is no reason we shouldn’t be signing him come the summer
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Has Fabianski renewed yet?

Both keepers are great but there does come a time where the baton needs to be passed on before it is necessary. The end of this season feels right and it also doesn't feel massively great to have Fabianski as a short term solution (1 year?) on the bench.

I fully expect for Areola to be signed (he is a bargain) and then Sam Johnstone to be bought in for free at the end of his contract to provide back up / competition.

Front foot rather than back foot
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Bond Holder 59 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:46 am We are lucky to have that particular choice, but I agree we should sign him up quickly. Fab won’t get better, but he’s still good now. The key though is who else would we buy for £10-15m in that position that is better than both?
Forest's goalkeeper is one cool dude
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

We signing this dude or not do we think?
We must have seen enough to decide either way by now?
yakandyeti
Has liked: 425 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by yakandyeti »

I wonder if we will see Moyes make the switch soon. Whilst Fab hasn't made howlers he has not been exceptional, you could give Areola 5-10 games straight and then reassess.

I also wonder if there is anything in the Johnson (WBA) speculation, part of me thinks they are recycling old stories as the leaks have dried up but if we could get him in to compete with Areola for free from next summer we would be set up for years. There are many decisions Moyes seems to make that are looking years in the future, not buying a fix for now, but who that player can become in time, could this be one of those? Would be harsh on Fab but I can see it as a pragmatic call for the long term benefit of the club.
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

I rate him highly.Was so impressed with him at Fulham last season he saved many a goal for them.Was obviously delighted when we signed him in the summer and we would be foolish not to sign him on a permanent deal.
I would have no problem with Aerola abd Fab swapping roles next season.I personally think Aerola at this stage is slightly the better keeper.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Moyes doesn't seem to do dramatic change (except where forced to obv) so I imagine the plan is to gradually feed the new keeper in over the course of the season, and if it seems to be working then make the transfer permanent and continue the process next season.

Changing your keeper is just about the biggest call a manager can make so I wouldn't expect him to rush into it like some are advocating.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Today seemed significant for me. Looked and played like a top class number one. I think he will secure his spot going forward. He has all of Fab's strengths and more.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

Ironing Board wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:58 pm Today seemed significant for me. Looked and played like a top class number one. I think he will secure his spot going forward. He has all of Fab's strengths and more.
I thought his distribution was piss poor .... but, it ain't Fabianski's strong suit either. I don't think there's a lot to choose between them and, generally, apart from the Roberto period, keeper has been one of our stronger suits over the years.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

He didn’t really have much to do. Let’s see how he compares to Fab after a run of games. I think both keepers are great but it’s felt like some are so happy to write off Fab and nail Areola on as a starter.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Clucking Bell wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:21 pm I thought his distribution was piss poor .... but, it ain't Fabianski's strong suit either. I don't think there's a lot to choose between them and, generally, apart from the Roberto period, keeper has been one of our stronger suits over the years.
I felt he actually looked comfortable with the ball at his feet - not something I can say about Fabs!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Fabianski v Norwich 41% pa
v Leeds 70% pa

Areola v Man U 49% pa

I'm not sure our keepers ever regularly get over about 60% if that.