✍ Welcome Alphonse Areola

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Re: ✍ Alphonse Areola

Post by mumbles87 »

We have the option to sign a quality keeper for a small price

Fabianski was 7 million at the age of 33. Served us fantastically

Areola for 11 million at the age of 29 so only 4 million more for more potential years for somebody who is as good if not better than fabianski

This is a no brainer

Infact if we pass on him it will be a massive mistake.
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

Fab has been a great servant of the club but is not getting any younger. Buying Areola makes a lot of sense.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

He loves London, he isn't going anywhere. I'm 100% certain we will sign him if Moyes wants him.

He's a great keeper but up until the Sevilla games, he hadn't really given us a stonewall reason to sign him or not. Most of the teams he played against were poor and didn't threaten enough to make the clean sheets particularly impressive. He had a stormer against Man City in the Cup no doubt, but there were a few instances of erratic decisions when coming out for crosses. I think this was probably a lack of recent match experience and a desire to impress that led him to do too much to stand out.

Then the Sevilla games happened. The away leg, he was solid. He felt like a proper keeper and there was nothing he could do about their goal. But the home leg. I was exactly behind the trajectory of that shot and that save was quite simply the best I've seen live. I went from thinking we are out of Europe to thinking we were going to win in a split second, when that arm came out of nowhere and kept the ball out.

We should and I believe, will sign both Areola and Fab. But I think Areola will be the number one next season.
South African Iron
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by South African Iron »

Agree with all comments about signing Areola full time, thought he would have replaced FAB, by now due to an injury, but he's holding out strong and having a good season.

Think the next two Europe league games are critical to whether Moyes gives the go-ahead or not.
I prefer him to the baggies keeper.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

I wonder if Fulham will try and take him back once they’re promoted…
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

For the love of God please sign him!

:pray:
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

South African Iron wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:12 pm Agree with all comments about signing Areola full time, thought he would have replaced FAB, by now due to an injury, but he's holding out strong and having a good season.

Think the next two Europe league games are critical to whether Moyes gives the go-ahead or not.
I prefer him to the baggies keeper.
Doubt that. I imagine the deal is all but done.
NedN
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Post by NedN »

Ironing Board wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:22 pm Doubt that. I imagine the deal is all but done.
Agreed. Other than the fact that fab is starting in front of him in the league, I see no evidence that Moyes does not like Areola or doesn’t think he’s be a good signing and our successor at the GK position. I also see no evidence he doesn’t trust him.

And as for him not starting league games…Fab has been in great form, and has been with the team longer, it makes sense.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

NedN wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:27 pm Agreed. Other than the fact that fab is starting in front of him in the league, I see no evidence that Moyes does not like Areola or doesn’t think he’s be a good signing and our successor at the GK position. I also see no evidence he doesn’t trust him.

And as for him not starting league games…Fab has been in great form, and has been with the team longer, it makes sense.
Yup. I imagine he is simply following the agreement they made between themselves prior to the start of the season. Fabs will probably switch to the number two next season as he transitions to coaching.
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

It's an absolute no brainer .Sign him ASAP.
NWhammer
Has liked: 785 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by NWhammer »

You will not get a better keeper for 12m.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

MASSIVE!
NorwayHammer
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by NorwayHammer »

That save with his right hand. Strong fingers...
Match-winning-ish
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

said in the match thread. had nothing to do except when he had to do something (like in the first leg) he did it as they say "with aplomb."

also said don't care what his wages are, we save at least 18 million by signing him

Ramsdale and Mendy 30M

Lloris 15M TEN years ago

the City and Bin Dippers keepers 60-70M and Chelsea's back up was another 60M

12M - if they don't sign him even at 120K per will still be cheaper than anyone else we could sign.

GET IT DONE...
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

He’s got to be here next season now surely!?

B*llocks to a loan deal, get him signed on a permanent.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

NWhammer wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:40 pm You will not get a better keeper for 12m.
Double that value and I'd still agree

A young Fabianski in many ways for me
Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

No Brainer, just get it done, if we win this trophy then I think rice and Bowen will stay and we need to build a team around these 3 and not fuc* up like we did in 66 and not build a team around our world cup winners so gsb and Czech boy let's be having it large because we are massive :scarfer: :newthumb:
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Well, last night may well have been his last ever game for the Hammers. Hopefully that won’t be the case. But if it is, on the whole he has been superb for us. Especially in our European run. :newthumb:
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

We have to sign him permanently. Its an absolute no brainer.12m is a snip for a top class keeper in todays market. He has had the year settling in period as well.
I will be very disappointed if Moyes doesnt sign him.In my opinion it would be a mistake.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

w6hammer wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:02 am We have to sign him permanently. Its an absolute no brainer.12m is a snip for a top class keeper in todays market. He has had the year settling in period as well.
I will be very disappointed if Moyes doesnt sign him.In my opinion it would be a mistake.
Him or Pope will do.

But Areola does not deserve to be our highest earner, so that will have to change if he does want to play for us.