✍ Welcome Alphonse Areola

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

yakandyeti
Has liked: 431 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Re: ✍ Alphonse Areola

Post by yakandyeti »

It would be ridiculous if all he plays before Christmas is the Carabo Cup matches. I do think it was right to let Fabianski have at least the first match in Europe as he helped get us there, but Areola needs changes to excel. Not dropping major howlers isn’t the only reason to switch, exceptional performances should also play a part.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2390 likes

Post by Ozza »

Said it before on this thread he’ll be our cup keeper with Fab being our league and euro keeper, all makes perfect sense.

Personally I don’t agree with the clamour on here of ditching Fab, very strange
Last edited by Ozza on Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1077 likes
Total likes: 1381 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

He looked a little nervous at times (the unnecessary punch, 1 missed corner where Mata hit the bar on the follow up)... but he kept us in front a couple of times (that save from Greenwood was excellent) and look more assured as the game went on.

All in all, a very good debut and lots of positives.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2569 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

With the unnecessary punch, I think he was focussed on the ball and wasn't sure if anyone had made a run behind him. I think he tapped his ear afterwards as though he was telling his defence they should have communicated with him to leave it. First game and also a high pressure game - I'll put the couple of mistakes down to nerves. He did very well apart from that.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 208 likes
Total likes: 1085 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

westlondonhammer wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:09 am He looked a little nervous at times (the unnecessary punch, 1 missed corner where Mata hit the bar on the follow up)... but he kept us in front a couple of times (that save from Greenwood was excellent) and look more assured as the game went on.

All in all, a very good debut and lots of positives.
He didn’t hit the bar, Areola made a fantastic recovery save?
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2390 likes

Post by Ozza »

Thought mata hit the bar personally
BigFatSam
Has liked: 208 likes
Total likes: 1085 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Ozza wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:49 am Thought mata hit the bar personally
Watching it back he did hit the bar. At the game I could’ve sworn he saved it 😂
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2569 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Ozza wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:49 am Thought mata hit the bar personally
I think it did hit the bar - I couldn't quite tell if he managed to get his fingers to it at the same time. I'm quite confident though that he'd have saved it had the shot been a few inches lower. He seemed to have it covered.
stu1
Has liked: 668 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by stu1 »

Areola is probably a better keeper than fab now, but if Fab had those two shaky movements in a game the interpretation of his performance would be far more critical than that of Areola’s on this thread.

I was hoping Areola might make a real claim for the number 1 spot last night, but I don’t think he managed that because of his initial nervousness.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2698 likes

Post by sendô »

He flapped at a few. Nerves perhaps.

Mrs Sendo had a good chuckle at his name, but when he pounced on a shot and I quipped "The boob really smothered that" I got a stoney face. :?
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

He definitely had the Mata shot covered.

Nothing against Fab who has done absolutely nothing wrong, but I felt slightly more confident, with Alphonse in goal last night.

He will definitely be our number one by the end of the season.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

sendô wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:44 am
Mrs Sendo had a good chuckle at his name
Mrs S-H did the same.

:D
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Seems to be a bit erratic at times and noticed this at Fulham.
Im not a fan of keepers who prefer to punch rather than catch, However, im sure this is something our coaches will ask him to look at as it massively takes the pressure off the defence.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

He reminds me of a cat playing with a ball.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

sendô wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:44 am He flapped at a few. Nerves perhaps.

Mrs Sendo had a good chuckle at his name, but when he pounced on a shot and I quipped "The boob really smothered that" I got a stoney face. :?
One rule for her,another for you.
(or just a crap joke!)
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Just seen Fornals comment on his Instagram post following the game last night… Mon Titi :crylol:
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 4266 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Even if it did hit the bar (and recognising it came from a bad decision to try and come for the ball which I’ll put down to wanting to make an impression), the pure athleticism to make that diving effort like it did, which would have saved the goal if the ball was an inch lower, was absolutely phenomenal.

Commentators would have made all sorts of weird noises if that was a Man U keeper.

His athleticism is world’s apart from Fab currently, who is looking slow and beginning to do that Jussi thing of not diving or instinctively dropping to a knee.

I have faith that Areola will get over any flappy decisions or wayward kicking, which probably came about from
nerves of playing his first game of the season over a month into it and away at Man U where he was probably feeling like he needed to do something to stand out.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:34 am Even if it did hit the bar (and recognising it came from a bad decision to try and come for the ball which I’ll put down to wanting to make an impression), the pure athleticism to make that diving effort like it did, which would have saved the goal if the ball was an inch lower, was absolutely phenomenal.

Commentators would have made all sorts of weird noises if that was a Man U keeper.

His athleticism is world’s apart from Fab currently, who is looking slow and beginning to do that Jussi thing of not diving or instinctively dropping to a knee.

I have faith that Areola will get over any flappy decisions or wayward kicking, which probably came about from
nerves of playing his first game of the season over a month into it and away at Man U where he was probably feeling like he needed to do something to stand out.
i'm about where you are. If Areola was being picked first choice for league matches i think most fans would see he is as a good if not better than fabianski. But for now treat them as equal and split the matches between them.
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1570 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:34 am His athleticism is world’s apart from Fab currently, who is looking slow and beginning to do that Jussi thing of not diving or instinctively dropping to a knee.
My thoughts too. I see no good reasons to keep Fabianski as our first keeper anymore. Bet we would easy loose the game yesterday with him between poles.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

After a somewhat nervy beginning, the more composed he looked the game progressed