✍ Welcome Alphonse Areola

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Re: ✍ Alphonse Areola

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Fab now has bonafide competition. Been a long while (if ever) since we were blessed with two great keepers on our books.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:18 pm Fab now has bonafide competition. Been a long while (if ever) since we were blessed with two great keepers on our books.
We had ****ing 5 of them on the books last season! :shock:
simon hammer
Has liked: 963 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Over the moon with this signing!

Glad to have you on board fully Alphonse!
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

Not our number 1, but may start for France at the weekend as Lloris has pulled out.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Think he is really going to go up a level when he finally gets a run as the number one.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Fantastic shot stopper. Would like to see him command his area better though and come claim crosses. I do like much of what he does though.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:26 pm Fantastic shot stopper. Would like to see him command his area better though and come claim crosses. I do like much of what he does though.
Isn’t that partly due to game time? It’s not easy to build a proper understanding with the defenders of you aren’t between the sticks on a regular basis.
Colours never run

No. He's never looked very convincing coming off his line whenever I've seen him play. Sometimes he does it ok but other times he looks hesitant or doesn't fancy coming out for them full stop. Fabianski is much better than him commanding his box for me.
GetUrWangOut
Has liked: 76 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by GetUrWangOut »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:35 pm No. He's never looked very convincing coming off his line whenever I've seen him play. Sometimes he does it ok but other times he looks hesitant or doesn't fancy coming out for them full stop. Fabianski is much better than him commanding his box for me.
I think they both have their pros and cons. Thinking back to the pen conceded against City is a great example of your point though. If Fab was on the pitch he wouldn’t have conceded it.

Areolas distribution is better though and I wouldn’t have had Fab down to make that save this evening (no longer that agile).

It’s splitting hairs and although I think it’s fair Fab continues as no. 1 for now at some point in the season I’d like to see that change as Areola can improve further whereas Fab is sadly on the way down.
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

What a save he made just after we scored...
World class it was, make no mistake guv'nor.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

I love Fab, the best and most consistent 'keeper I've seen play for us. Areola should be our number 1.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Pob! wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:19 am What a save he made just after we scored...
World class it was, make no mistake guv'nor.
Quick reflexes and perfect positioning is what made that save possible
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

As good as scoring a goal.

funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:26 pmWould like to see him command his area better though and come claim crosses. I do like much of what he does though.
So would I. It’s the one thing Fab is especially better at than him. But he does have his moments when he does make the right decisions. And Ironing Board does make a fair point that he may well improve if given more of a run of games and with a settled defence. As even if the cups he’s not necessarily got the same defenders in front of him.

It’s great to see both goalkeepers playing pretty well so far this season. As Fab’s really upped his game since his poor form in the latter stages of last season. Other than arguably Chelsea’s 1st goal, has Fab done much wrong this season?

We’re very lucky to have 2 good goalkeepers at the moment.
HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

S-H wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:37 am As good as scoring a goal
It took you 6 words and you still managed to articulate it more precisely than poor old Carlton on punditry :lol:
Last edited by HammerPDC on Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
S-H

Post by S-H »

HammerPDC wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:47 am It took you 6 words and you still managed to articulate it more precisely than poor old Carlton on punditry :lol:
Yeah... that was hard to watch, bless his heart.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

I really like Fabianski and he has a lot of qualities, but I don't think he has saves like that or the one against Sevilla in his locker.
HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

Fabs is quality, love the guy and he rarely makes a mistake. But its time to make Areola the number 1 because Areola actively prevents goals, its even that he doesn't make mistakes its that he makes incredible saves
Colours never run

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:07 am I really like Fabianski and he has a lot of qualities, but I don't think he has saves like that or the one against Sevilla in his locker.

Fabianskis been 1 of our best ever shot stoppers and done it regularly in the modern Premier League era. His reflex saves are as good as anyone's, even Areola who is also very good at them.
S-H

Post by S-H »

This is the Areola thread..