Return of The I've Been To The Cinema To See thread

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Return of The I've Been To The Cinema To See thread

Post by prophet:marginal »

Can't find anything with that title, but am sure there was one.

Anyway, went to see this tonight, at Brixton Ritzy

If you love music from the 60's, New York City and good social documentary, try to make sure you see/hear this in a movie theatre.

There are some fantastic pieces of music, from Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight and the Pips, BB King, but the quality across the show is frankly top notch.

Stevie is backed by some decent guys, for sure, but the solo he plays on the keyboard totally smashes it.

In another shot, you can see the sea of people just going off into the distance of the view of the people on the stage. It's like a sea.

It was the same year as Woodstock, but the tapes of the festivals were never taken up by any of the production companies, so laid mouldering somewhere, until 2019.

Truly brilliant footage, even if just from the musical perspective; these were live performances from some really big acts.

9/10
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Re: Return of The I've Been To The Cinema To See thread

Post by Monkeybubbles »

I'm guessing that going to the cinema isn't such a big thing anymore.

Anyway, went to see Petite Maman on Saturday night. Very beautiful in a low-key way, very touching in a 'definitely got something in my eye' way, very worth going to see with your other half if you're in need of brownie points.

When did a big bag of Revels become a luxury foodstuff though?
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

New Ghostbusters film.

Essentially a tribute to Harold Ramis. That's not necessarily a bad thing though.

The last 5-10 mins are totes emosh and expertly done.

7/10.
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

That Ghostbusters ones got me intrigued, might try and squeeze it in.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Ok , it was a couple of weeks back -

No Time To Die - Vue Cinema Inverness

Mask Wearing upon entrance was mandatory - mask wearing when inside the Cinema was not .
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Saw Ghostbusters last night. Took a while to get going but once it did it was a fun watch. I suppose, in a way, (spoilers) it was the Ghostbusters version of Star Wars, The Force Awakens, at least in purpose. I don't know how they did the thing they did at the end. That was next level tech. Far and away the best use of this I've seen.

Anyhow, with all of the Marvelish films out there, GB isn't necessarily going to impress the pre teen and teen young'uns visually. The characters are likable and the story engages enough so it's a good 'take the family to the cinema' film. I would say the younger kids will enjoy it more. My kids are 13 and 11 and they said it was alright, which means it was worth the trip and time but doesn't rank with the films they really like. Saying that, they were glad we went. They liked the film, but loved the trailers. Kids are weird.
Last edited by WCpete on Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1641 likes

Post by last.caress »

WCpete wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:45 pm My kids are 13 and 11... They liked the film, but loved the trailers. Kids are weird.
It's the Tik Tok generation, innit. Attention span of no more than 150 seconds. My son's the same. His Twitter feed is nominally in English yet I can't make head nor tail of it.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Special effects wise GB had to compete against 20 minutes or so of non-stop special effects in the trailers from Marvel spiders and vampires and the new Matrix and one or two more I can't recall. GB was on par in stretches but in the end I'm not sure it matched the trailers whizz-bangery. You're completely right about my kids tik tok attention span.
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

Had a no show at work today, so sauntered down the road to see Dune.

It was ****ing incredible- I need to watch it a few more times, but I think it’s gone straight into my top 10 of all time. It’s that good.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Took our nephew to see it this afternoon. We all thought it was great. Well written, not too sentimental and highly entertaining.
DasNutNock2
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by DasNutNock2 »

Encanto. No idea, slept through most of it.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

DasNutNock2 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:52 pm Encanto. No idea, slept through most of it.
Unless it's a film she knows I want to see, the lovely Mrs Bell will normally go with one of our daughters. Art films, chick flicks and anything with subtitles are pretty much guaranteed to make me sleepy. Every Oscars season, our local cinema does a pass where you can see all the best picture nominees for thirty bucks over the course of a week.It's generally good for at least fifteen hours extra kip :smiler:

No Time To Die, They Shall Not Grow Old and 1917 are about the only films I've remained awake for in the last couple of years.

You saying you started watching Parasite, but fell asleep?

Or didn't catch that in the round up?
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

In the last couple of months I’ve been to see Old, Many Saints of Newark, Hallowe’en and Last Night in Soho. They were all 1/5 movies :cry:

Our son and the missus and me are presently watching The Sopranos, on a one episode every three or four days idea.

He and she went to see the 'Many Saints' when it was first released, all enthusiastic about some cracking dialogue and clever narrative.

The boy's review: I wouldn't watch it on my mobile, on a long train journey

Glad I swerved it!
Pocket Pardew
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pocket Pardew »

Another one for Ghostbusters. Took the family last Friday at the Basildon Cineworld. We went for the Screen X viewing that I must say was very good indeed. The Mrs didn't much care for it (the wrap around screen) but me and the kids liked it. We all loved the film however and they did very well including the nostalgia of the original into this one. Loved the ending especially and hope they make a new sequel. (Which I believe is already in discussion). My daughter declared at the end that is it in her top 5 films ever!, She is only 13 though and I think Home Alone is also in that top 5!.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Seen quite a few recently on the big screen as our local multiplex is only a fiver a ticket and there were a few the wife wanted to check out as she’s on annual leave over Christmas.

The new Ghostbusters reboot - mediocre, don’t bother- 5/10
Spider-Man 3 (well the 3rd Tom Holland version) - excellent and well worth a viewing on the big screen. 9/10
West Side Story - took my parents to watch it on Christmas Eve -not a fan of musicals but it’s very, very good. 8/10
The new Kingsman - not as good as the first one but decent action scenes and Gemma Arteton is always easy on the eye - 7/10
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

New comedy horror from the Foo Fighters. Really gory, really funny and lots of colourful language.

Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:36 am New comedy horror from the Foo Fighters. Really gory, really funny and lots of colourful language.

I went to see this on Saturday. My missus got tickets as I'd never go to see this of my own accord. I thought it was really good, very cheesy in parts, way over the top gore and some terrible acting from Pat Smear but I loved it. The track that they were not supposed to finish to me sounded like Sabbath on steroids and was brilliant. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed it.
The Overlook
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by The Overlook »

On Tuesday I went to see The Godfather which has been re-released for the film’s 50th anniversary. Incredible on a big screen!