Return of The I've Been To The Cinema To See thread

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Re: Return of The I've Been To The Cinema To See thread

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Top Gun:Maverick

What a fantastic film. Absolutely loved it.
The opening credits set the nostalgia theme with almost like for like titles.
From start to finish the whole film is an absolute joyride. After two shitty years, this is exactly the kind of thrill ride needed and it demands to be seen in the cinema, the camera work and photography is off the scale.
It may not be cerebrally challenging but who cares, sometimes you just need to sit down and watch a good old fashioned feel-good slice of Hollywood and this delivers in spades.
There’s plenty of nods to the original and it’s a film I would happily pay to go and watch again today.

Tom Cruise may not be the greatest actor there’s been but he has certainly been in a lot of hugely entertaining and successful movies. Top Gun:Maverick is certainly hugely entertaining and no doubt it will be smashing the box office.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

MEN :shock:

Rory Kinnear 'stars' in this film, if the number of parts played is any guide. In short, he plays every male part in the story, bar a very significant other male role.

It is however a film about someone's wife and how she deals with her husband's death.

I won't say any more, save to note that, if you are looking to watch a well made, suspenseful film, it is worth a watch. It gets increasingly hideous, too, but, for me at least, goes over the top.

Some great cinematography.
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

Jurassic Dominion tonight. Bar for expectations is low. Will report later.

Saw it. Just. Just don’t do it. Don’t go see this. The film makers do not deserve your patronage. Read the reviews and then understand that it’s much worse than those.
Pocket Pardew
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pocket Pardew »

WCpete wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:45 pm Jurassic Dominion tonight. Bar for expectations is low. Will report later.

Saw it. Just. Just don’t do it. Don’t go see this. The film makers do not deserve your patronage. Read the reviews and then understand that it’s much worse than those.

Really?. I took the family yesterday and we all loved it.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

I know it's super subjective, but I couldn't find anything redeeming about this movie. Very light spoilers: Of the two and a half hours, maybe 5 to 10 minutes of entertainment. I love summer brain candy action movies as much as the next person but I found this so tedious. The main problem for me is that the film wasn't what they promised it would be. From the end of Fallen Kingdom and its post credit scene, from all of the marketing, from all of the ads we were led to believe this was going to be a 'how will the world interact with dinosaurs on the loose' film. It started that way. Looked very promising. 20 minutes in they reverted to dinosaur mayhem in the research facility/island for the rest of the film. Again. For the 6th time. Too many plot lines. None of them interesting. Too many characters. Very few of them interesting.I didn't think any of the monster mayhem was interesting or fun. The whole thing was just one action scene after another, each completely devoid of any suspense. And goddammit why are they using that ending again? How many times can they use it? Dinos running loose across the planet could have been made into a top summer blockbuster. Dinos (and spoiler, it's not even the dinos really) misbehaving at the research facility? Please, not again. Honestly, the one thing I gleaned from this movie is that you can pacify and control any dinosaur by using the Chris Pratt arm and hand extension while saying "easy". Having said that, I did try it on my dogs and children when we got home and it didn't work.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

Would have loved to see that. I wonder what the ultra 4K would look like compared to the 70mm.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

Lightyear.

Decent enough film. My 6 year old liked it but it isn't as 'young child' friendly as Toy Story.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

I went to the final screening of Everything Everywhere All At Once at Romford Vue even though it can be 'streamed' already. I had been looking forward to seeing this ever since I saw the trailer but never got round to seeing it so made sure I saw it on the big screen last night. It is quite simply a remarkable film. Very creative and in a way quite similar to the Matrix I felt but with far more themes going on and stretches things much further. It is even more impressive how much it achieves given its modest budget. The film has achieved both commercial and critical success and I hope it gets recognised at the Awards season simply for being so imaginative and pushing the boundaries.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

WCpete wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:50 pm the one thing I gleaned from this movie is that you can pacify and control any dinosaur by using the Chris Pratt arm and hand extension while saying "easy". Having said that, I did try it on my dogs and children when we got home and it didn't work. [/color]
Speaking as an experienced Chicken Whisperer (they are descended from Theropod Dinos) I'd say that you'll get there with perseverance.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

Try the Mick Dundee method,it’s much more effective.
WCpete

Post by WCpete »

vietnammer wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:04 am Speaking as an experienced Chicken Whisperer (they are descended from Theropod Dinos) I'd say that you'll get there with perseverance.
I have found that changing the WiFi password works best. With the kids that is, not the beasts.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

WTF !! ?? !!

Minions: Cinemas ban teens in suits over #gentleminions trend
hammer etc
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by hammer etc »

Saw The Gray Man today. I think it's on Net Flix next week but I wanted to see it on the big screen. If you like OTT action this is for you. It was alright what I expected. Don't expect anyone will be posting it in the Your Favourite film thread any time soon.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

hammer etc wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:49 am Saw The Gray Man today. I think it's on Net Flix next week but I wanted to see it on the big screen. If you like OTT action this is for you. It was alright what I expected. Don't expect anyone will be posting it in the Your Favourite film thread any time soon.
books are a cracking read, real page turners so thank you for posting this or I would have missed it. Mark Greaney is the author.

can recommend if you like action thrillers.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1798 likes
Total likes: 1119 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Went to see Where the Crawdads Sing yesterday with Mrs Macca. We both really enjoyed it, some good young actors, thoroughly engaged throughout.

Was then surprised to see poor early reviews. However, I would recommend it wholeheartedly.
hammer etc

Post by hammer etc »

Macca1973 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:31 am Went to see Where the Crawdads Sing yesterday with Mrs Macca. We both really enjoyed it, some good young actors, thoroughly engaged throughout.

Was then surprised to see poor early reviews. However, I would recommend it wholeheartedly.
Saw it today. So different to what is normally about, great film. Talking to a couple on the way out who said the book is a good read. I don't read novels but I know a lot do. I think my daughter has read over 60 so far this year, that includes graphic novel. Music,TV, Film and Books!!?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

hammer etc wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:03 pm Saw it today. So different to what is normally about, great film. Talking to a couple on the way out who said the book is a good read. I don't read novels but I know a lot do. I think my daughter has read over 60 so far this year, that includes graphic novel. Music,TV, Film and Books!!?
as you two lads seemed to give it a thumbs up, and having never heard of it, I did a quick google to see what it was about.

looked what popped up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delia_Owens

Aspects of Kya's life and the novel's narrative choices, including its attitude towards its black characters, are said to be reminiscent of Owens's time in Zambia, where she, her then husband, and his son are still wanted for questioning in the murder of a poacher captured on film in a 1996 report by ABC News.[25]

The couple moved to Africa in 1974, traveling before making camp in the Kalahari Desert, Botswana. Cry of the Kalahari was written about the couple's experience there. After they campaigned against the local cattle industry, Botswanan government officials expelled them from the country.[1] The Owenses then settled in North Luangwa National Park, Zambia, and later in Mpika, Zambia, in the early 1990s.[1] Mark Owens has been accused of operating a "shoot to kill" policy against poachers. ABC News aired a report in 1996, entitled "Deadly Game: The Mark and Delia Owens Story". The report featured the controversial killing of a poacher in Zambia, allegedly committed by Delia's stepson, Christopher. As of 2022 Delia, Christopher and Mark Owens are still wanted in Zambia for questioning.[9] The Owenses have denied the accusations.[1]

hammer etc

Post by hammer etc »

I've just had a look, they claim they have nothing to do with it. The murder was supposed to have been filmed. I'm surprised Reese Witherspoon had anything to do with it.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I finally went to see Elvis yesterday.

Went with a bit of trepidation, wondering what I would see and whether i'd see something I'd seen and heard god knows how many times before having been a fan for nigh on fifty years.

Whilst it touched on most of the usual staging points in Elvis' career it's fair to say it was very different to the Elvis biopics that had preceded it; it was a curious mix of cartoon strip/comic book, a garish music video and an impactful depiction of his disillusion and descent to death as a matured, caged artist who became a broken man playing a caricature of himself in the final years of his life. Some people in the cinema could be heard crying towards the end.

Tom Hanks plays the villain of the piece, and the story's narrator, as the infamous Colonel Tom Parker. He seemed to draw very heavily on Burgess Meredith playing the Penguin in the 1960s version of Batman which adds to the cartoonish and sometimes comedic elements of the film - repeatedly rambling "when am I getting my Here Comes Santa Claus?" at one point - but also as a very manipulative, calculating ,self serving shyster who constantly sought to sanitise and limit Presley's artistic instincts, frequently seeking to turn him into a middle-of-the road entertainer whilst keeping an eye on his own dubious citizenship status. The devil constantly whispering in Elvis' ear, and his de facto jailer.

The film emphasises the level of influence of one side of the racial divide in terms of Elvis' overall musical style, and does try to depict Elvis as a sort of unwitting warrior against racial injustice in 1950s southern US. Both are somewhat exaggerated and half truths, while it plays a bit fast and loose with timelines in order to create a spectacle and give the film a story and a social backdrop beyond just the usual key moments in Elvis' career. It's obviously a bit of poetic licence to modernise the story for a younger, contemporary audience. There is the odd moment of "what?" and the hint of a subtext regarding his relationship with his mother.

The guy playing Elvis ~ Austin Butler ~ doesn't look like him but he gets the mannerisms and stage moves right and comes more and more into his own as Elvis ages.

All in all, the 160 minutes running time (or thereabouts) flew by. One final aside would be to say the guy who briefly impersonates Little Richard in the film is fantastic.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Just back from seeing Elvis and agree with much of bubbs’ review

It’s not perfect and some of Baz Luhrmann’s quirky stylising doesn’t quite fit right for me but overall it is very good. Austin Butler is sensational and will surely pick up an Oscar nomination for his blistering star turn as Elvis. Tom Hanks plays Colonel Tom Parker like a panto villain and although I’m sure some artistic license was afforded with the facts, I’m equally sure there is a lot of truth in the manipulative hold that Parker had over Elvis and watching it I just kept thinking what a **** Parker was.
There’s a lot of sadness as the film reaches the inevitable end with him tied into his Vegas residency pilled up to the eyeballs. Especially as the Austin Butler scenes are interspersed with real life footage.
Even with its flaws, I’d thoroughly recommend Elvis and I think it’s the type of film that might improve with repeat viewings.
If Elvis was still alive today he’d only be 4 years older than my Dad. He squeezed a lot into his 42 years but really was gone way too soon.