Newcastle Utd 2-4 West Ham Utd (15/08/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Newcastle Utd 2-4 West Ham Utd (15/08/21)

Post by prophet:marginal »

We're surely not losing to these lot twice in a row, again, right?

I was well enthused by the sight of Soucek and Rice in midfield today, but also wonder whether the break has allowed Moyes to see a clearer role for Benrahma in the side (he is after all, unless I am mistaken, the most expensive signing of DM's second tour of duty).

Our opponents are similar to us, in that they haven't really made any amazing additions to the squad they had last time around. In fact they've only accrued 3 new signings, for nil outlay. Carroll surprisingly no longer required for duty.

We've surely got to flesh out the squad to a fair degree, before the window closes, if we are to have another decent (top half) league season and some kind of fun on the continent, but I am confident that the first eleven that is likely to be settled, once Ogbonna returns, is a really top quality, in comparison with the squad that Bilic took, briefly, onto the continent at the second time of asking.

So, it is with optimism overshadowing realism (or WHUFC fatalism) that I look towards next weekend, and beyond.

For those making their way, back into the grounds, here's hoping you get that many away day victories, as we all watched with satisfaction over the last 12 months.

:crest:

WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Re: Newcastle United -v- West Ham United - Match Thread

Post by WCpete »

I read yesterday that Wilson and Saint-Maximin would not be playing. Don't know how that call is being made so far out, but if true that's a big kick in their ball bag.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 498 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

WCpete wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:27 am I read yesterday that Wilson and Saint-Maximin would not be playing. Don't know how that call is being made so far out, but if true that's a big kick in their ball bag.
Both played against Norwich City in a pre season friendly.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

3-0 Hammers!
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 772 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

IronZ-79 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:36 am Both played against Norwich City in a pre season friendly.
Yes. Saint-Maximin came on second half and Wilson played the first 67 minutes. Snooping around the Newcastle forums (I think it's fair to say they're not optimistic about the upcoming season!), it seems both missed training Thursday and Saint-Maximin has had an 'illness' as rumours that he's off circulate.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Re: ⚽ Newcastle Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by funky chicken »

I guess the first question is: Will Ogbonna be fit enough to start the game? And if not and IF we have a new centre half signed in time will the new centre half come in, or will he stick with Diop and Dawson?

The answers to those questions determine for me what formation we go with. I would say though it’s unlikely Moyes would throw the new centre half into the starting 11 straightaway. He’ll be on the bench. If Oggy starts then I’d go with a flat back 4. If it’s Diop with Dawson then I’d actually go with the exact same formation we played against Atlanta. Which was an occasional 5 at the back. The only change being Bowen coming in for Yarmolenko. I think Moyes is thinking about that too. Hence why he tried the experiment yesterday.

My bench would be: Areola, Fredericks, Johnson, Diop/New centre half, Noble, Coventry, Yarmolenko.

Everyone says our squad is paper thin, which it does need bolstering. And yet I struggled to squeeze Masuaku (if fit) and Lanzini on to it! :o My logic for leaving Lanzini off is I don’t know if Rice and Soucek will be fit enough to play the whole game. And If we had to make a change Noble would add more steel in the middle than Lanzini would.
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

GK - Not sure who Moyes will pick
Coufal
Oggy (Diop)
Dawson
Creswell
Rice
Soucek
Benny
Fornals
Bowen
Antonio

GK
Fredericks
Johnson
Diop/Alves
Noble
Yammie
Lanzini
Probably another keeper

If we do make a signing, they will make the bench at best
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2427 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

I think the team picks itself given the lack of signings.

Fabianski
Coufal
Dawson
Ogbonna
Cresswell
Soucek
Rice
Bowen
Benrahma
Fornals
Antonio

Unless DM fancies 3 at the back for tactical reasons, this will most likely be the team.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Fabianski
Coufal Diop Ogbonna Cresswell
Soucek Rice
Bowen Fornals Benrahma
Antonio

That defence (Diop and Cresswell) still worries me, as does the general lack of pace throughout the team.

Confident we’ll win the game but whenever I feel even the most slightest of confidence for a game we get an absolute hiding!
neathiron
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by neathiron »

Don't think we'll be caught cold like the opening game last season. Pre-season form bodes well and if Saint Maximin is missing, that gives us a slight advantage I reckon.
Going for a 2-1 victory.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

The only club that has had an even more under whelming summer in the transfer stakes. Our preferred starting XI is better than theirs. But that is contingent on injury etc. Would love to get a win, and a clean sheet to get those records dealt with early doors. But a win of any kind would do.

Dont like the trip to SJP. Always feel its a bit of a mixed bag for us, and you wouldn't rule out getting tonked, if they were in the mood
devonshire flu
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by devonshire flu »

We played 4-3-3 all through the Atalanta game, so it seems likely that Moyes is planning to use this formation at the start of the season.

So:

Fab or Areola (too close to call)

Diop -- Dawson -- Cresswell

Coufal -- Rice -- Soucek -- Fornals

Bowen -- Antonio -- Benrahma
Shabu
Has liked: 4167 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

Barring one season our recent record against them is crap. Would love to start this season off with a nice win up there.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Newcastle away is never an easy place to go so this isn’t a game I’d expect much from.

1-1 draw and a useful point to start the season.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Difficult to describe how much I am looking forward to this one.

A fully attended match, home and away supporters, each of whom currently with major beefs against their clubs ownership.

Newcastle United are of course perma under achievers. The Tottenham of the North. A sense of entitlement their history cannot justify. A whole bag of chips on each shoulder. These days of course they draw crowds of over 50k, which hasn't always been the case and they demand a certain type of football, yearning for the all out attacking game of the unsuccessful Keegan era. I say unsuccessful, because, and I don't need a fact checker to be sure, they won sod all under him.

Their beef of course is with their owner, a man so wicked he froze season ticket prices at St James Park for around a decade. Now, of course there is plenty of smoke and mirrors in that stat but the one thing Ashley cannot be accused of is milking their supporters for their hard earned. He's also been trying to sell the club for the past couple of years, and at a fairly realistic price. I'm not too enamored with who he is trying to sell the club to, but I doubt too many Newcastle supporters are that bothered. Some will be of course, but many simply want change.

Newsflash for the Newcastle supporters - the sugar daddy you crave ain't coming. The Chelsea and City shortcut is probably out of fashion for a while. London, fair enough, Manchester, a stretch, Newcastle ? Don't be silly. There's a reason Keegan told Andy Cole Newcastle was nearer London than Bristol.

Enough though of addressing the oppositions delusional thoughts, we have more than enough of our own, but surely winning away on Saturday isn't one of them.

Pre season of course if no form guide to anything when the real battle commences, but David Moyes seems to have built a solid team spirit, and retained the core of his successful side from last season. The gaps in the squad we can all see, we are short at CB, CM, and especially up top. As deadly as we are on the counter attack, our achillies heel is the fact most opponents will know if they sit back we lack the guile to break them down. Steve Bruce is a pragmatist, he will manage what he has to try and get a result and suffer the boos as a consequence from the Gallowgate.

I'm expecting a low scoring game with the odd goal settling it, maybe a 2-1 win for us, and I'll settle for that and a chance to catch up with some friends I've not seen for 18 months.

Spare a thought too though for those supporters from each club who won't be returning, those who have sadly passed away in those 18 months from Covid or some other illness. Every year there are some empty seats and if it's one thing the pandemic has taught me it's that every game could be the last i ever see, so I should make sure I enjoy it.

Maybe the grumbling Magpie supporters are right to do so after all, every game that passes as a joyless dull affair has gone forever, never to be replayed.

The good news for them is that on Saturday the famous West Ham are in Toon, and Newcastle supporters will get to watch at least one decent team. Rice, Soucek, Coufal, Benrahma, Bowen, Antonio and Fornals all have it within them to provide a little bit of something worth watching. Little wonder we have sold out our entire allocation of tickets. It's not just the Toon Army that travels in numbers.

I can't wait. :hamm:
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Nice post pinky. It will be interesting to see the difference between West Ham last season and this vs Newcastle and also how we do when given the ball. I still fear we only have a plan A. Whether this can be adapted game by game perhaps using Yarmalenko upfront occasionally or Bowen instead of Antonio. Or doubling up with Coufal and fredericks or Arthur and Creswell occasionally. Not sure if that counts as a different plan tho? I’m sure we will see some surprises and be broken by some unexpected injuries. Bring it on…
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Good post, Pinky. Even Mrs,. Doubtfire should have worked out how to play us by now, hopefully if we score first, his cunning plan will go down the pan, and that'll play into our hands.We have to come out all guns blazing, then I think we'll have the quality to win easily, if not, and we don't score in the first20 mins or so, orif they do, then it's going to be pretty attritional, IMO.
St. Maximus (or whatever he's called, I keep getting him mixed up with my mate's cat) is quitecapable of ripping our back four a new one, so hopefully he'll not feature.
larryberyl

Post by larryberyl »

fabianski
coufal diop ogbonna cresswell
rice soucek fornals
bowen antonio benrahma

subs areola fredericks johnson dawson noble coventry lanzini yarmolenko oxoflex

2-0 hammers antonio benrahma

bench looks weak up front where yarmo and oxoflex are not good enough. hopefully we will have a few new signings to beef us up !
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:59 am winning away on Saturday isn't one of them
pinky - don't make that mistake :D
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

As The Pinkster stated above Pre-Season results don't amount to a hill of beans.......BUT......I've been mightily impressed by our will to win this summer , that performance up at Celtic Park and then against Atalanta would not have happened under Slaven Bilic [ as much as I liked the man ] - Moyes isn't one to wrap his arms around a player until he has proved himself to the Manager , it's the reason he's been a bit off-hand with Said Benrahma , now look at the little Algerian , he's beginning to look like a £25m player at last .

Newcastle are still a bloody good side who play some nice positive football but I felt they caught us cold at the beginning of last season - to say we hadn't got going is an understatement , we had nothing and looked like Relegation Candidates not the team pushing for Europe that we became - David Moyes has instilled a ' Will To Win ' mentality and he's made us tough to beat also -

I'm expecting a complete reversal of last season's result , maybe even an extra goal -

Newcastle United 0 West Ham United 3

And Away We Go......... :coolas: