VAR Thread

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Re: VAR 21/22

Post by Gerblatz »

When you compare the stills there’s no comparison- Rodri hand balled it and bent VAR and referee made sure Citeh got away with it. It’s a tool for selective corruption and cheating. Credit Lampard for not giving a f*** about protocols
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Gerblatz wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:51 pm When you compare the stills there’s no comparison- Rodri hand balled it and bent VAR and referee made sure Citeh got away with it. It’s a tool for selective corruption and cheating. Credit Lampard for not giving a **** about protocols
Steady.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62001959

This should be interesting...
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

^^^ Video of how it works:

Robin Banks
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 54 likes

Post by Robin Banks »

Well that certainly put a dampener on what was a lovely finish in the example they used! I think they're doing what is necessary to fix the issues with VAR decisions, and we all accept the goal line technology works well, but part of me thinks that fractional offsides like a kneecap and head don't make all that much difference to give the attacker a great advantage over the defender. I'd have said maybe use the body mass of the player and compare those, as otherwise its comparing the stride of each player which seems a bit extreme. I know they have to do something but we've gone from clear air space between players to fractional crossing of a threshold. it just seems bizarre to expect players to be in sync with their stride
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Maybe. But our Referees fail to improve, whereas technology eventually will.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

And we thought ‘his eyes are offside’ was a joke.

May as well ditch the officials completely.
Robin Banks

Post by Robin Banks »

Diogenes wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:11 pm Maybe. But our Referees fail to improve, whereas technology eventually will.
Very true. It may not be the perfect answer right now, but seemingly a quicker route than improving refereeing across the board.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Offside is offside though whether its a toe or a leg. I think this is a good move - it can be used for a while and if theres a belief its favouring defenders too much then it can be tweaked i guess to allow certain body parts or whatever.

Atleast if it works correctly it will be consistent. No big team bias.
lukechadwick
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 112 likes

Post by lukechadwick »

Is it measured from the initial contact with the ball or when it is released?
When you're talking milliseconds it could make a massive difference, especially if the pass is lifted.
Robin Banks

Post by Robin Banks »

lukechadwick wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:28 pm Is it measured from the initial contact with the ball or when it is released?
When you're talking milliseconds it could make a massive difference, especially if the pass is lifted.
It's a minefield the more I think about it.
Speed of the ball and speed of each player would be relevant as well, then there's whether it's a sideways ball or straight over the top relevant to each players starting position. all of these play a part in the potential outcome...maybe we should have them all attached to long bars that run across the pitch so they can only move left and right...then they couldn't possibly be offside :D
lukechadwick
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 112 likes

Post by lukechadwick »

Robin Banks wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:46 pm It's a minefield the more I think about it.
Speed of the ball and speed of each player would be relevant as well, then there's whether it's a sideways ball or straight over the top relevant to each players starting position. all of these play a part in the potential outcome...maybe we should have them all attached to long bars that run across the pitch so they can only move left and right...then they couldn't possibly be offside :D
Don't think the speed should have any impact, effectively when the ball is played it will freeze and the player is either on or offside.
My uncertainty is if a plays a through ball by lifting the ball where it may be in contact for a second at what point is the pass counted? When the ball first touches or when it leaves the boot? Will this be a way to get a desired outcome?
Robin Banks

Post by Robin Banks »

Re: first contact or when it leaves the boot...

I think when it leaves the boot would be the 'fairer' way to judge it, but like you said before, milliseconds would have a big impact. And more likely to be offside by the time the ball leaves the boot when it's slowed right down on a cross that is lifted, even though the ball might not have moved forwards

Also, just seen the news that Mike Dean is staying on VAR full time, so by the time the prem start using this technology there could still be some creative interpretation or artistic license used :hush:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Re: VAR Thread

Post by -DL- »

So what's the deal with this thing, as it seems to be happening here on a match day basis. Is it just England where VAR seems to be the cause of much controversy, or, as I'm sure somebody that watches European Leagues can tell me, is it happening all around?
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Copying my post from the Chelsea thread.

1. Referees should get 20 seconds to make a decision. If it’s not clear and obvious within that period the original decision stands.

2. The referees should have microphones between them and the VAR room. Greater transparency for decision making and why it’s been made.

3. Start recruiting better referees. The PGMOL as a function is a joke.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

VAR the system is not the problem.

It's the poor standard of officiating, and the incumbents who run it at Stockley Park.

The standard of English refereeing has been on the decline for decades, so it's no wonder that, VAR as a whole, in this country has been painfully bad and inconsistent, because that's exactly what the on field officiating has been like for years, and now they alone have complete control of the whole thing..

It's literally like the blind leading the blind.
Last edited by S-H on Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

It's not just the bigger clubs who benefit from VAR although often it seems it is.

Chelsea got really screwed over twice in their game v Spurs the other week.

Forest got away with 2 x yellow cards for handball against us and Spurs. From my understanding deliberate handball to prevent a goal is a straight red?

I spoke to a Sunday league ref after he sent off an opponent for doing this. We all thought he was being harsh but his explanation really said it all
"if I let him off with a yellow, it gives all 20 other players on the pitch permission to do the same"

VAR doesn't need to improve, those who operate / officiate it do.

Or just bloody scrap it.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

As bad as the Bowen decision was, the Palace/Newcastle one has to be seen to be believed as well.

Our old friend Lee Mason calling it a foul on the goalkeeper...despite Willock clearly being shoved into the goalkeeper by Mitchell who then sticks it in his own net.

Must be Mike Dean rubbing off on them.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I’m in the completely scrap it camp. There’s more talk about var then there ever was about refs making mistakes.

It exists for the computer game generation who can’t get out of their bedrooms.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Just keep it for offsides and yes/ no decisions like ball out of play