VAR Thread

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Diogenes
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Re: VAR 21/22

Post by Diogenes »

Gerblatz wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:17 pm As far as I’m concerned another incompetent or bent VAR /refereeing collusion has cost us today. I have watched the incident 11 times and my initial thoughts were confirmed.

The initial foul occurred clearly out side the box - the continuity and momentum of that contact carried both into the box where they was both already falling into.
Not a penalty, yes a foul outside the box - once again we are robbed.
As I have stated previoysly Gerbatz, that a foul was committed outside of the area may be true the Referee is allowed to let play continue, which he is entitled to do unless no advantage is gained, which it ultimately was. I think we are clutching at straws here to say we were robbed. More, that we allowed a poor side to score three easy peasy goals is the real problem.
Roby
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 263 likes

Post by Roby »

The joke is in the randomness of which decisions they check via VAR.

Why was the handball by the Southampton player in the box earlier in the game not flagged up? Looked like a penalty from what I saw on the stream.

Dawson fouls the player just outside the box, the bloke then takes a few steps and falls onto Dawson (on purpose) to get the pen. Clumsy defending anyway.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1962 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

the clumsy defending was from Diop who left poor Dawson in a huge hole.

probably would have been sent off were the initial foul called. last defender, goal scoring opportunity a la Bowen at Villa.

double jeopardy means a pen, yellow and stays on the field.
Roby
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 263 likes

Post by Roby »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:38 pm the clumsy defending was from Diop who left poor Dawson in a huge hole
Agreed - their striker just went past Diop far, far too easily.
Heysel76
Has liked: 215 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Regardless of which way decisions go.
VAR has killed football for me, can't celebrate goals without checking, takes far too long, it's a pile of stinking :thdn:
wolf359
Has liked: 1588 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Heysel76 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:39 pm Regardless of which way decisions go.
VAR has killed football for me, can't celebrate goals without checking, takes far too long, it's a pile of stinking :thdn:
I could tolerate if they got things right as promised. But as this thread shows there is still as much argument, (perceived) bias and wrong decisions as before.
Heysel76
Has liked: 215 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

wolf359 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:42 pm I could tolerate if they got things right as promised. But as this thread shows there is still as much argument, (perceived) bias and wrong decisions as before.
If you have to wait 5 minutes for a decision, it's obviously not clear. It's absolutely fuckin crap
Albie Beck
Has liked: 627 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

wolf359 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:42 pm I could tolerate if they got things right as promised. But as this thread shows there is still as much argument, (perceived) bias and wrong decisions as before.
It's also as much about what they DON'T look at as what they do.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Diogenes wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:29 pm As I have stated previoysly Gerbatz, that a foul was committed outside of the area may be true the Referee is allowed to let play continue, which he is entitled to do unless no advantage is gained, which it ultimately was. I think we are clutching at straws here to say we were robbed. More, that we allowed a poor side to score three easy peasy goals is the real problem.
I don’t hold in with your rationale - the whole incident took 2 - 3 seconds to happen. Are you suggesting the referee was allowing play to continue to give an advantage, only to go back to VAR, see where the foul was actually committed and then still awarded a penalty even though the visual evidence clearly shows the foul was outside of the area? That’s either incompetent or bent decision making. Don’t forget VAR is meant to show a visual slo mo of the facts. Fact is the first contact that triggered the event was outside of the box.
rciron
Has liked: 298 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Gerblatz wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:51 pm I don’t hold in with your rationale - the whole incident took 2 - 3 seconds to happen. Are you suggesting the referee was allowing play to continue to give an advantage, only to go back to VAR, see where the foul was actually committed and then still awarded a penalty even though the visual evidence clearly shows the foul was outside of the area? That’s either incompetent or bent decision making. Don’t forget VAR is meant to show a visual slo mo of the facts. Fact is the first contact that triggered the event was outside of the box.
and i dont think anyone would have complained if a free kick was awarded instead of a pen
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Ronaldo not gettin a red for a kick? How surprising!
hammer1975
Has liked: 978 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

I care far more about the impact on west ham than anything else…but, f*** me, how can the people that operate VAR not be held to account for some of the decisions not given or given against the other 14 clubs in the PL.

Even more biased than the prior system that it was (allegedly) designed to bring fairness to.
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

another VAR non intervention was Lacazette yanking a norwich player by the shirt collar at a corner. Score was 0-1 at the time. Norwich equaliser probably wouldn't have changed the result but it would have given them belief
Diogenes
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by Diogenes »

rciron wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:15 pm and i dont think anyone would have complained if a free kick was awarded instead of a pen
Dawson, would have been sent off.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1962 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:29 pm Dawson, would have been sent off.
based on the incident with Bowen (was it Konsa ?) at Villa Park, I concur.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2705 likes

Post by sendô »

I see VAR is still set to “find any reason to stop West Ham scoring” then.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2490 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Diogenes wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:56 pm I think you will find that the first contact by Dawson could be construed as a foul however the attacking player was still progressing forward in control of the ball and therefore would be allowed to play on. Therefore the 2nd contact in the area was deemed the only decision to be made (unless no advantage was gained in which case the Referee could call it bck to the first foul.) Indeed, we and Dawson were quite fortunate as if he had called it back it was a Red Card.
The laws and referee guidance state that if he allows play to continue and then pulls it back, the free kick is taken at the site of the first offence, Viewing from behind the goal it is obvious that any foul is outside, neither player has the ball under control from that point, and they both fall in the area. Therefore, if a foul was committed. the free kick was outside the area. At that point Dawson might be in danger of being sent off, preventing a goal scoring opportunity.

However, your last sentence was correct.
brownout
Has liked: 96 likes
Total likes: 179 likes

Post by brownout »

We saw the best and worst of VAR at Watford today.

Corrected a clear and obvious error in not giving us a penalty.

Disallowed a goal for a foul that occurred well before it was scored, after several minutes delay and so our player & supporter celebrations were empty.

And this farce of the ref having to go to a screen to change his mind. We all know that he'll change it as VAR ref has seen that it should be overturned but he doesn't want to overrule the match referee.
DublinDave
Has liked: 2749 likes
Total likes: 1778 likes

Post by DublinDave »

VAR spend much longer trying to find reasons not to give decisions that would go in our favour than they do on decisions that go against us...
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck & walks like a duck, it's a feckin duck...
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Did look a foul on first viewing, tbf. Not sure why the lino didn't flag.