VAR Thread

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Has liked: 4526 likes
Total likes: 1529 likes

Re: VAR 21/22

Post by Sticky »

I respect DM - but I really really want him to come out and accuse everyone of bias at the very least.

The tide needs to turn and the only way to do that is to call it out. Pull it into the light.

Even if it pierced referees subconscious and made them second guess themselves when they look to cheat us - it would help.
Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Irrons »

Sticky wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:26 pm I respect DM - but I really really want him to come out and accuse everyone of bias at the very least.

The tide needs to turn and the only way to do that is to call it out. Pull it into the light.

Even if it pierced referees subconscious and made them second guess themselves when they look to cheat us - it would help.
Agreed, we should be doing everything in our power to fight our corner. The lack of decision from VAR over Xhaka's red card challenge today was flat out disgusting
Last edited by Irrons on Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 627 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Irrons wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:30 pm Agreed, we should be doing everything in a power to fight our corner. The lack of decision from VAR over Xhaka's red card challenge today was flat out disgusting
What's so telling is that Martinelli instantly looks at the ref. He knew.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by smuts »

I used to roll my eyes at people saying referees were corrupt but I'm starting to really think otherwise.

For the ref to miss that in real time doesn't surprise me but for the twats at Stockley Park to not raise it either and back up Coufal's 2nd yellow the other night? Christ.
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 100 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

For me it’s the fact he seems to exert a little bit of extra force after the ball has gone when he could have pulled his foot back near enough instantly when he made contact. Dirty cheating c**t
mickthekeeper
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by mickthekeeper »

Francoisvander or else wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:00 pm For me it’s the fact he seems to exert a little bit of extra force after the ball has gone when he could have pulled his foot back near enough instantly when he made contact. Dirty cheating c**t
agreed, Xhaka knows what he is doing and stamps down onto the ball knowing his foot is going to keep going - as a minimum a yellow, could easily have been a red

The standard of premier league referring has gone through the floor - they’re ****
Diogenes
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by Diogenes »

smuts wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:41 pm I used to roll my eyes at people saying referees were corrupt but I'm starting to really think otherwise.

For the ref to miss that in real time doesn't surprise me but for the twats at Stockley Park to not raise it either and back up Coufal's 2nd yellow the other night? Christ.
The problem here, I feel, is not that the people are purposefully corrupt, but the system and rules certainly are.
Without question, Referees are subject to unconscious bias, particularly when a so called 'big team' are involved. Referees also make genuine mistakes.

The trouble with VAR, and the rules that govern it, is that it does not take into account refereeing inconsistencies and/or a different view. Also, I understand, that the VAR officials can only overturn a decision (or at least get the referee to check) if in their opinion there has been a clear and obvious error. On the basis that many of the referees decision are subjective anyhow, the VAR officials (and Rules) are not there to help them make the 'right' decision. If they were allowed to get the Referee to check their decision on the monitor following a different subjective view i.e. 'hey Mike/John, not so sure about that so please have another look' this would at least allow the Referee to more calmly analyse his decision and change it if need be, or not.
Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Irrons »

Diogenes wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:18 pm The problem here, I feel, is not that the people are purposefully corrupt, but the system and rules certainly are.
Without question, Referees are subject to unconscious bias, particularly when a so called 'big team' are involved. Referees also make genuine mistakes.
Speaking of unconscious bias, not a single mention of the incident in the BBC's match report:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59618480

Let's see if it's highlighted on MOTD tonight
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Today's spuds v liverpool pretty much destroys the conspiracy theories, Both sides felt they should have had different VAR outcomes. It's just not delivering on most fronts except offside. Klopp was convinced he was hard done by against us (he wasn't). It's not corruption or bias just that it's inconsistent, it's just created a new set of arguments.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

As I said in another thread, I personally think the conspiracy theories of VAR/PL favouring the big clubs is largely nonsense and filtered through fans' respective coloured spectacles. Many of the 'poor' decisions we see are usually very marginal that could go either way, and I think if there was an obvious big club conspiracy, Ronaldo would've won a pen against us in our home match vs Man Utd, and Cresswell would've been sent off versus Liverpool.

I think nearly all clubs get decisions that go for and agains them. Just my opinion based on the games I've seen this year.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Also, Newcastle had some VAR decisions go agains them vs Arsenal (I think?), but Newcastle are now richer than anyone.
Paolopaul
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

I’m not sure that refereeing is corrupt, but you can see that referees are influenced by the media. Make a decision against Man Utd or Liverpool that turns out to be wrong and you’ll be discussed in the papers and online content all week. Make a decision against Norwich and no one will even bother to mention it. The refs are only human, this is bound to play on their minds and influence them.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

I can’t believe that the head of the FIFA, UEFA, FA or PL (or whoever) sits down and says to referees ‘we need the bigger teams to finish as high in the league as possible so please factor this when making your decisions’.

I can believe that some referees may be worried about giving big decisions against the bigger teams, though. As we all know, there’s a f*ck load of corruption in football but I don’t think refereeing or VAR is corrupt. Our referees on the whole are pretty poor and VAR (and its rules) aren’t fit for purpose, but I don’t think there’s a higher power making them sh*t, they just ARE sh*t.
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

I think some of the issue with var is refs criticising their mates. I'd like the var refs to be a separate body. Recently retired refs? Some of the refs seem to know the players quite well. Does that influence their decisions. All in all it just proves that (offside apart) VAR doesn't really solve anything.
Tipsextra
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 29 likes

Post by Tipsextra »

It's pretty easy me thinks. The refs don't want to make the wrong decision so they leave it to VAR. VAR doesn't want to overrule the refs and therefor no decisions are taken at all.
jastons
Has liked: 893 likes
Total likes: 849 likes

Post by jastons »

Corrupt? Unless a 'whistle blower' (pun intended) speaks out then there will always be a debate.

Inconsistent? Absolutely! Managers should be able to call this out without fear of punishment. Open debate between managers, VAR and on field referees should be encouraged. Moyes, for example, should be able to question why Coufal was sent off yet Xhaka and Kane were not. I know Coufal received two yellows, but the point still stands.
kentboleyn
Has liked: 215 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by kentboleyn »

Im convinced there is an agenda to keep the so called "big clubs " at the top of the table. I remember under Slav last season at the Boleyn when we finished 7th, Bournemouth away Wiison scores against us he was offside And handled the ball, one of many decisions that went against us in the run in.The FA dont want us or any other small clubs spoiling the party.Imagine little old West Ham having the cheek to challenge for a CL place, cant have that! There supporters rampaging tho Europe, NO NO, but its ok for the scousers to get us ALL banned.Just watch the decisions go to the big boys, listen to the commentators, there is an agenda. Rant over :angryred:
Paolopaul
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

After the decisions for us against Burnley and then Newcastle against Man City, the rules must be that if the attacker isn’t in control of the ball he can be fouled without any penalty given. I’ll be watching for this to be consistently applied when it happens to Liverpool or Man City.
mattyD
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by mattyD »

The inconsistencies of the decision making is one thing - the ridiculous decisions made by on and off field refs need to be called out, but there's also a massive hypocrisy within the game: the way the Arteta's mob surrounded the ref the other night, the way ex players and pundits constantly say "he had every right to go down", the way certain managers pressure the refs with constant complaining. I'm glad we don't do it. I don't want Mike pulling the sort of crap we saw last week. But to blame the refs alone ain't gonna do it. Call Salah a cheat FFS, call them all out, call out Arteta, don't call it 'professionalism'. Even Gerrard after they lost to a dodgy penalty was tap dancing around it - it was a ****ing dive for goodness sake, just say it. Tierney gets an arm across the chest, goes down holding his face, that's cheating, ****ing call it. Was a little surprised at Moyes's comments TBH, because if he thinks all that's okay we should be doing more of it.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

VAR is favouring the club's ( usually the big four plus Spurs and Arsenal) who are constantly play acting and surrounding the ref to force a review - we, along with a few others choose not to stoop that low and, consequently, get f*** all.We all thought that VAR would right the wrongs we have suffered for years previously, but it's actually made it worse.
IMO, anyone who goes down screaming and rolling around (Lacazette 2-3 times every game) should go off for a min 5 min medical assessment and only be immediately replaced if he does not come back on.