West Ham Utd 4-1 Leicester City (23/08/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd V Leicester City: match thread

Post by Rays Rock »

We’re going to hear quite a bit about Leicester being down to 10 men, but don’t let anyone forget that it is now 9 points from the last 3 and 10 goals to their 3. We were going to win that even against 11 for 90 mins.
Tarte Encore
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Tarte Encore »

Just an observation on Said Benrahma. He's bulked up, looks stronger & everything he tries to do is incisive & committed. Less dawdling compated to last season. Not everything's going to come off every time but he now looks like, and believes, he belongs in this company. Could be a huge season for him.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Just when I thought there was no way we could top our outstanding performances against this lot last season the manager and players said: “hold my beer!”

Nothing more I can add really as so many other people on here have already said a lot of the things I would’ve said.

Even before their red card I thought we were by far the better team. And if it wasn’t for some bad decision making from Antonio we would’ve been at least 3 goals up by half-time.

Leicester really have become the same powderpuff cr*p Rodgers use to dish up towards the end of his Liverpool reign. A complete pushover defensively and love to play too much tippy tappy rubbish at the back in dangerous positions. So I loved our 2nd goal especially when it showed what a load of nonsense it is.

Isn’t that now only 1 defeat Moyes has had against this lot in both his spells in change of West Ham? He really does have their number.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2427 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Rays Rock wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:24 am We’re going to hear quite a bit about Leicester being down to 10 men, but don’t let anyone forget that it is now 9 points from the last 3 and 10 goals to their 3. We were going to win that even against 11 for 90 mins.
Apparently West Ham only ever beat good teams when the opposition team has an off day.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Got a house-full of visitors then last night our paying guests got lost and we had to go out and find them :grin: so I'm watching the match this morning -

Had to laugh when the Sky Commentators kept going on about Leicester possession in the 1st half , they did zilch with it - horrible premeditated foul by Perez on Pablo [ the New General ] and he deserved to go - probably helped open up the match .

Superb finish by Fornals for the first , good awareness and composure from Antonio for our second - Tielemens' goal would have been chalked off 2 seasons ago [ what's changed ? :grin: ] -

Coufal was outstanding and Benrahma came into his own in the second half but Declan Rice was even better , that pass for Antonio who [ if you look closely gets possessed by the Ghost of Gerd Muller ] for his first goal was superbly worked - Michail ' I'm Going To Jamaica ' definitely does best when he's given little time to think , his second goal was almost as good as his first , wonderful stuff .

And to think Leicester are one of our closest rivals . :grin:

p.s. Anyone see David Moyes say to Patson Daka ' You chose the wrong team , mate ' ?

Tee-Hee .
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Tarte Encore wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:25 am Just an observation on Said Benrahma. He's bulked up, looks stronger & everything he tries to do is incisive & committed. Less dawdling compated to last season. Not everything's going to come off every time but he now looks like, and believes, he belongs in this company. Could be a huge season for him.
He still isn't convincing in a challenge, there was a moment in the first half against Ndidi (iirc) where he shat it going for a 50/50. He also went down rather theatrically in the box and Michael Oliver (who controlled the game very well) just told him to get on with it.

I don't think he is ever going to be a player who gets stuck in etc, but that isn't his game. His first two league performances have been very good.
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Well, that was a most enjoyable evening.

When it went to 2-1, I had a sinking feeling. It lasted all of about a minute, as unlike previous West Ham teams I knew that this lot wouldn't just fall apart. Some cracking goals last night all round and a brilliant return for the fans. The players look like they're loving it. So GSB, if Moyes wants a player, go and get them without messing about. Pigs might...
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Just had a browse through the foxestalk forum. I'd say that, on the whole, they were pretty complimentary of us. They pretty much all admitted that Moyes tactically outdid Brendan, we were stronger, and we had a gameplan that we stuck to which they couldn't cope with. They also don't seem overly impressed with Maddison - they see him as lightweight and not putting in enough of a shift. A few murmurings on the fact they might struggle a bit more this year with the new rules unless they start getting a bit more physical. None were impressed at the fact Brendan stuck to exactly the same gameplan that saw them lose twice last year.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Reading the BBC report last night, they have that "player rater" thing at the bottom and I noticed Bowen was down as our 8th or 9th best player on the night.

I thought "blimey, that's harsh, he was excellent", then you look at the players above him and there's literally no one he should be above. Pretty incredible.

Apart from Fabianski, who barely touched the ball, and the late subs, you could easily justify giving everyone else 8/10 minimum for last night's performance. Cracking stuff.

:scarfer:
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:46 am Just had a browse through the foxestalk forum. I'd say that, on the whole, they were pretty complimentary of us. They pretty much all admitted that Moyes tactically outdid Brendan, we were stronger, and we had a gameplan that we stuck to which they couldn't cope with. They also don't seem overly impressed with Maddison - they see him as lightweight and not putting in enough of a shift. A few murmurings on the fact they might struggle a bit more this year with the new rules unless they start getting a bit more physical. None were impressed at the fact Brendan stuck to exactly the same gameplan that saw them lose twice last year.
I read through that late last night, I normally wait for The Oppo View on here but just couldn't resist.
aboooooooooo
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by aboooooooooo »

Ethanadict wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:32 pm Fantastic, just fantastic.

But the person I want to pick out is Fornals. He was everywhere tonight, constantly hassling their players and then we had the ball he rarely wasted a pass. Our first goal was sublime, from the moment we won the ball, to the cross, and finally to his deft finish. Class.

I’ve just seen on Sky that he covered more distance tonight than every single player in the PL this weekend. I’m not surprised. He’s not always been the most obvious pick, but Moyes has always put him as one of the first on his team sheet. He knows his stuff does Moyes!
I was saying this exact same thing in the ground last night. I'm sure he scored an almost identical goal last season. His work rate has never been in question, but his touch and vision sometimes get overlooked. Turning into the player we all hoped (and the transfer fee suggested) he would. Last night he played like a busy Fabregas. Hope he can keep it up.

On a completely different note, did anybody else see Dawson laughing when Ogbonna "bought" the free kick towards the end of the 2nd half. Oggy was smiling to the BML but Dawson was openly laughing. Top sh*thousing lads. :scarfer: :scarfer:
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Rodgers must have nightmares about Moyes.
ammo
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by ammo »

Just watching a repeat of the game on Sky - I can actually relax and enjoy the performance now, last night I don't think I could feel safe until the 4th went in! As some of you may know, the Leicester game is always my cup final as I've been suffering in the recent past for all their success (my wife and her family are all LCFC fans).

I never thought we could beat them again after doing the double over them last year but what a great performance from the boys.

At least I can hold my head up high when winning the League/FA Cup/Community Shield/Fantastic Training Ground/Iconic New Stand gets brought up in the conversation - still can't beat little old West Ham though.

:crest:
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

A fantastic performance, we were much the better side even before the sending-off.
Antonio gets man of the match but there were so many great performances throughout the team.
I couldn't have had a better birthday, that was up there with some of the best games I have ever been to.

Although I missed the first 8 minutes due to the ticketing fiasco. I'm sure it is being talked about elsewhere (I will be catching up on KUMB while nursing my hangover this morning) but the lack of crowd control was disgusting, it's a good job the fans were well behaved and good natured as it could have been a very dangerous situation. I work in the events industry and we would have got crucified by the local SAG for less.

As for Leicester, they are not a patch on us. People were speculating about who would get into a combined team, but there are not many from theirs I would swap with ours, based on last nights showing. Vardy isn't a patch on Antonio. We have two goalkeepers I would pick ahead of Schmeichel.
Rogers defending Perez is shameful. Also, their goal should never have stood, it was a clear handball.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

We won the game when it was 11 v 11. We were happy to let them have the ball in their half and their defenders saw lots of the ball, we closed down every outlet they had though, shut them all off and very quickly Leicester ran out of ideas. They needed to get to half time at 0-0 to reassess what they were doing but before they could we did what we often do best, we countered and scored. All of a sudden the onus is on them to take it to us, we continued to frustrate them and that's what led to the red card, they got sloppy because we were only allowing their less talented passers time on the ball. Pablo's tenacity then won the red card. None of it is a fluke or an off day from the opposition, it was just a brilliantly executed game plan from David Moyes and his men that worked better than expected.

:scarfer:
fghammer

Post by fghammer »

The most pleasing aspect of last night is once Leicester went down to 10 men and sat back we actually looked like we had the ability to make use of plenty of possession and break them down. Moyes really has done an incredible job we've seen a few managers have 1 fine season but not manage to back it up (yes in part due to the vermin in control of the club) but it really looks like Moyes will back it up in spite of said vermin. Hopefully i don't look back on this statement and see early season hope fade and die.

My one complaint forgetting the game was on a Monday when i agreed to play 5 a side to get pumped and miss the first half of the continued glorious revolution.
nt_hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by nt_hammer »

Simply outstanding :newthumb:
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Another game where not once did I think we'd lose that.

We are a very decent XI and we have a clearly defined way of playing which, even if it gets stifled, we have individuals can drag us through.

This season can still end up in relegation just as easily as it can end in the Champions League but that's the beauty of being a West Ham. I think we should just sit back and enjoy it whichever way it goes for us.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Anyone seen today's Metro?

The back page headline is: OFF NIGHT FOR THE FOXES.

It's all about Leicester fuming over the red card that cost them the match, nothing about how brilliant we were. :shocker:

This is a regional London edition??
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

leicester spent most of the first half passing the ball between their two central defenders trying to draw us on to them but moyes had obviously said, let them get on with it so we can still hit them on the counter attack.