Xtinction Rebellion

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Re: Xtinction Rebellion

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

delbert wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:07 pm To really make a dent in the numbers you'd need more than Hitler, you need a Stalin or a Mao. Those dudes really knew how to thin out populations........

If you're counting , don't you go forgetting those wily Japanese - they managed to murder 20 million Chinese .
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

I prefer this to ‘live,love,laugh.’
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

666 hammer wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:04 am So you agree mass migration to the wealthier nations is not the key?
The key to what, solving climate change? Yes I would agree with that, has anyone claimed otherwise?

I think mass migration to wealthier nations is an inevitable consequence of climate change though.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 942 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

^^^^ thing is, the mass migration might not necessarily be to wealthier nations, but those with more resources like fresh water, or space.
666 hammer
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by 666 hammer »

Great, I think we agree. I beleive most people want to stay in their home nations, if they are safe, and provide a stable living.
Rather than the traditional, 'every body welcome' we should discourage this as if we are told the engineers, doctors, scientists are leaving, they need to help rebuild these countries. With technology from richer nations, life should be comfortable. Although it isn't here at the moment with rising prices.
Zimbabwe should be rich, but bad management amongst other things, it is not.
I hope the future will bring strong responsible leaders to those poorer nations. But money corrupts, and we are not exempt. The green agenda appears to be very corrupt. And the poorer nations are suffering to fill the Wests desire for cheap battery technology through mining.
This is not the way - not the mandolorian.
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:55 pm ^^^^ thing is, the mass migration might not necessarily be to wealthier nations, but those with more resources like fresh water, or space.
That's true, Russia being an obvious example of a country with lots of both of those things, and a climate that may get more hospitable in many places, but more of a medium GDP. But on the whole, the areas most at risk from climate change tend to be many of the poorest and most unstable, and a lot of the colder countries like us are wealthier.

What we have to accept is we can't just choose not to have people come here, they're willing to risk their lives to get here, and sadly climate refugee numbers might make the current "crisis" look insignificant.

The best way we can mitigate this is to reduce our environmental impact as much as possible, and support development of poorer countries.
666 hammer

Post by 666 hammer »

Why have Northern European countries become richer than those further South?
Perhaps the weather forced technology advances to create a better, more comfortable lifestyle.
The West can and should help advance those in need, but politicaly this is often not possible due to the dictators in power. And how does that look, a European country sends troops to get rid of African president.
There is so much more to this than just protesting in London demanding the World changes. The map is not pink anymore.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

The soap dodgers have been going round London slashing tyres on SUVs.
Climate activists have deflated the tyres of scores of SUVs across parts of London overnight.

Notes have been left by the group - Tyre Extinguishers - on the sports utility vehicles apologising for targeting the "gas guzzler" cars.

Thought to be a splinter group of Extinction Rebellion, it said it wanted to "make it impossible to own an SUV in the UK's urban areas".

Vehicles in Chelsea, Chiswick, Notting Hill and Belgravia have been targeted.

Other areas in the capital said to be hit included Harley Street, Hampstead Heath and Clapham.

more...
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Get caught doing that to the wrong persons car it might not just be the tyres that are punctured.
666 hammer

Post by 666 hammer »

These lot are so self centered and self righteous. Do they know who owns the cars and each circumstance.
Was the person going to a hospital appointment, or even a surgeon going to work.
We are currently facing a energy crisis with fuel costs going through the roof, a foreign nation threatening nuclear armageddon, inflation rocketing, and these idiots want public support by making things harder.
They may not get the same reception as before in London this summer.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

I don't think these people do want public support. I think that they enjoy using the environment as an excuse to be pricks and that they should be arrested.

I am a massive believer in protest. But this isn't protest. It's criminal damage.
666 hammer

Post by 666 hammer »

Indeed. It's not like 'the climate emergency' has had no media or Government attention. What more do they want? I have heard no policy, answers, solutions. Just complaints about not enough is being done. And 'the science' around this is not united. Some say nuclear others say unicorn farts.
I am fed up with direct action by a minority of vandals claiming a higher morale ground whilst people are too scared to heat and eat because of policy made to appease this lot.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

It'd be a real shame if one of them got caught slashing someone's tyres and took a few digs for their trouble.

A real shame.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Fossil fuel companies are being allowed to take record profits and push prices up to never before seen levels.

But it's people wanting a more sustainable future that are the problem of course.
sendô

Post by sendô »

People causing criminal damage to other people's cars, yes it is.

BP making **** loads of money does not excuse them of that.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1928 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

with energy bills going through the roof,many are going to open up their fire places next Autumn.

Bring back the coalman :winker:

Wondering what they think about that?
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:53 am Fossil fuel companies are being allowed to take record profits and push prices up to never before seen levels.

But it's people wanting a more sustainable future that are the problem of course.
The problem is both, fuel companies making obscene profits doesn't detract from arseholes from vandalising peoples cars. Big 4x4's around my way are often owned by drug dealers or other assorted wrong uns, be amusing to see them get caught being naughty round here........
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Not that condone XR or letting down tyres, but on the radio a member was putting forward the point that SUVs sell as 4 in every 10 new cars, and are the area where the drive against emissions are going backwards.

I can't support doing someones tyres, but it is a joke how driving an unnecessarily huge car is not frowned upon more socially. It seems to be de Rigeur to own one, when personally I think it is a bit c***ish
sendô

Post by sendô »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:32 pm Not that condone XR or letting down tyres, but on the radio a member was putting forward the point that SUVs sell as 4 in every 10 new cars, and are the area where the drive against emissions are going backwards.
Is it though? Most SUV's will get 45mpg+, which is decent.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

So, are XR going to provide us with a list of cars they find unacceptable?