Xtinction Rebellion

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Re: Xtinction Rebellion

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

To be honest, i don't know how people with kids cope without one

That is possibly a sad indictment on modern society and modern parenting, but it is what it is!
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:59 pm To be honest, i don't know how people with kids cope without one

That is possibly a sad indictment on modern society and modern parenting, but it is what it is!
Long gone are the days when you can just bung them in the boot sadly.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

sendô wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:54 pm Is it though? Most SUV's will get 45mpg+, which is decent.
The space they take up is bigger, clogging the roads, causing traffic, taking up 2 parking spaces they way some of the c***ish owners park them.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

sendô wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:54 pm Is it though? Most SUV's will get 45mpg+, which is decent.
They let down a few electric car tyres aswell lol

Think their a bit more friendly than the Chelsea tractors ..

But then most SUVs as you say get better mpg than sports cars .. surely they should be the target? Can fit as many people in but take up same space.. use more fuel etc
Greatest Hits Vol1
Has liked: 438 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Greatest Hits Vol1 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:59 pm To be honest, i don't know how people with kids cope without one

I have a three year old son and have never owned a car. I honestly can’t think how it would improve my life and that is coming from someone who is a stay at home dad raising my child.
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:41 pm They let down a few electric car tyres aswell lol

Think their a bit more friendly than the Chelsea tractors ..

But then most SUVs as you say get better mpg than sports cars .. surely they should be the target? Can fit as many people in but take up same space.. use more fuel etc
SUVs are always the easy target despite many cars being far more harmful to the environment than them. Clearly they are too lazy to do proper research

....,and admittedly yes I do drive an SUV but I live in a place where they are very handy to have in the harsh winters. It is also a lot more practical and environmentally friendly than the saloon I had before it
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:35 pm The space they take up is bigger, clogging the roads, causing traffic, taking up 2 parking spaces they way some of the c***ish owners park them.
Every car on the road causes traffic. SUV's aren't really any bigger than the average family saloon, they're just taller, so they don't take up any more road space at all.

As to parking spaces, I've seen small cars taking up 2 spaces loads of times. It all depends on the driver.

I drive an S-Max, which is much bigger than any SUV. There's no way I take up more space on the road than any other car. Certainly not with 5 of us in there.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

mumbles87
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

sendô wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:26 pm Every car on the road causes traffic. SUV's aren't really any bigger than the average family saloon, they're just taller, so they don't take up any more road space at all.

As to parking spaces, I've seen small cars taking up 2 spaces loads of times. It all depends on the driver.

I drive an S-Max, which is much bigger than any SUV. There's no way I take up more space on the road than any other car. Certainly not with 5 of us in there.
When we go out with the in-laws that's 6-7 of us depending if it's both of them in the car ..

Better than two cars on road surely
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 941 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Denbighammer wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:56 pm So, are XR going to provide us with a list of cars they find unacceptable?
Back in the day didn't tree huggers all drive Citroen 2cvs? Which is a joke in itself given how poor they were on fuel economy (that was what I read at the time, but it was Jeremy Clarkson, so might be BS)
666 hammer
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by 666 hammer »

XR are hypocrites. They justify using a oil burner to tow a boat into London to cause a road block to make a point about the 'climate emergency' as they have no other environmentally friendly way to tow a boat.
So how do they expect farmers, ships, trains, steel works ect to operate in a zero carbon world if they admit the technology is not available. Making the protests environmentally damaging and pointless.
If these people are so smart, and have the best science backing them up, start a business creating alternatives they find acceptable. Start a political party in every country so they can unite world policy.
They won't, because they don't have the support. The protests are not harmless.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Posted 21st January......
Monkeybubbles wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:38 am Whilst we're talking about tyres....

A few weeks ago I found this screw in my tyre. Third time it's happened, so off to the tyre shop again. 250 quid later they said that someone must have screwed it in because there was a thread in the tyre - if I'd run it over it would have just punched a hole, not made a thread.

I thought someone had a vendetta against me (barely believe able, I know) but having spoken to a few neighbours it seems like a lot of them have had the same experience. Obviously the work of a nut job.

Police aren't interested, won't even give it a crime number because it might just be coincidence that 20 people have run over screws. I said I'd set up cctv so we could film the bloke at it, but even then they said they wouldn't investigate, and I can't cctv the whole street.

What would you do?
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:33 am Posted 21st January......
Dogs, big angry dogs.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:35 pm The space they take up is bigger, clogging the roads, causing traffic, taking up 2 parking spaces they way some of the c***ish owners park them.
Apart from your beast type SUV, as the Range Rovers, SUV's are based on a car platforms, and their overall footprint on the road is no bigger than your bog standard Clio, Fiesta, Focus, Pug 308, Megane, Audi A2/3, etc.

They are no longer gas guzzlers as they have either efficient turbo engines of much smaller capacity than you would have previously considered to be in a SUV, or are now Hybrids.

Of course you still get them with a V6 or V8 in the extremely large and expensive ones, but the kind of people that own these would no doubt also own an extremely large car if SUVs were not in fashion - but the vast majority of SUV out there on the road are not those types, but your Nissans, Kias, Mitsubishi (which are Hybrids), Renaults, Pugs, and the cheaper premium ones like the Q2/Q3, X1 which are fitted with puny little 1.0-1.5l turbo lumps.
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

Just stop oil is another one that is just stupid. Everything around them and even their clothes are made of it.

The youth of today have too much time on their hands.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

'Appy 'Ammer wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:13 pm The youth of today have too much time on their hands.
A good war would sort em out
666 hammer
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by 666 hammer »

Which is a drum I bang. Come up with solutions rather than destruction. Technology is moving fast, and from many places they hate. We keep hearing about the science behind them. When will they fund new technologies to save the planet. Their protests cause increase in polution through replacing glass, to causing traffic.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:33 am Posted 21st January......
Loads of meat left on the tyre and the screw ain't in the sidewall so it's pluggable at a fraction of the cost of a new one. I'd go down the CCTV / Ring doorbell route, even if plod ain't interested you might recognise the culprit and sort it another way........
daytimedave
Has liked: 273 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by daytimedave »

the crustys are back in London this weekend causing more disruption :swear:
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

I’m 49 next week and have never driven, nor does my wife. My son is nearly 17 and as a consequence is not another kid who is desperate to start driving lessons the minute he’s old enough while lecturing people about ‘climate change’!

However, as a family it is a personal choice and we are not preachey even though our carbon footprint is tiny.

When I see the footage of these idiots and their antics it makes my blood boil so I can only imagine the effect on people trying to go about their lives, get to work, take kids to school who are being disrupted by these hypocrites! Because that’s what they are. None of them drive? None of them fly off on holiday? As others have said, come up with alternative solutions. I have never heard Greta or any of her contemporaries come up with a single solution to the ‘problems’ they are whining about!