E Ticketing Fiasco -or not?

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators :  -DL-, Rio, the pink palermo, bristolhammerfc, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

mushy
Has liked: 123 likes
Total likes: 212 likes

E Ticketing Fiasco -or not?

Post by mushy » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:25 pm

I have opened up a thread just on this subject (hope the mods dont mind) as I have seen various posts in both the match and Olympic Stadium threads on this subject and think they should be collated together as it has clearly caused quite a bit of concern among our support last night.
Please feel free to add your experiences (good or bad) to this thread and include any security or Covid concerns as well.
Many thanks..
Clyde Best wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:17 am
Getting into the ground last night was an absolute f**king shambles. We're in 216 and the crowd at Turnstiles A, B and C were huge at 7.30. We made it to our seats with 2 mins of the game gone, there must have been hundreds of people still outside. I was worried about queueing on the bridges if they were going to do covid checks, I didn't foresee that the digital tickets would cause a problem. Its a good job that most people remained patient, as there was seriously a risk of a crush if people had been stupid. As it was I used the GPay method on my phone and it worked first time, no problem, saw lots of others struggling to make it work, strikes me that insufficient testing has been done, usual Brady do it on the cheap approach I expect.
Danny's Dyer Acting wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:18 am
The machines just fundamentally do not work. Kid in front of me had a printed ticket, all neatly folded - presented it exactly as his dad and sister did in front of him and the machine said jog on.

My ticket on my phone had to be scanned 3 or 4 times before I could go in.

It's just unacceptable that such a key part of the process is so unreliable!
droshky wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:44 am
Yup turnstiles were a joke. In turnstile C q at 7.45, couldn’t find ticket email, bx. Tbf the prawn sandwich desk in B were helpful and printed a paper ticket. But didn’t get in till 8.20.

Decent game, mind
LincolnshireHammer wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:03 am
Only downside to last night was the fiasco of getting in the stadium. They can't rely on digital tickets for a game longer. There were no Covid checks and therefore, in theory there should not have been masses of queues waiting to get through the turnstiles.

Going back to season cards is simple enough, but G&S won't pay the fees to process all of the cards!!

Stadium atmosphere was fantastic last night and I'm loving how the STBL and BML are squared off. It was fantastic to see the STBL standing too, this never used to be the case but I think we will see it every game from now on!
steps wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:46 am

Absolute bedlam trying to get in Block A at 7:40, took me 28 minutes to get through. It wasn’t really a queue of people on each turnstile it was an amass pushing and shoving towards the ground trying to get in. People wouldn’t move to let disabled folks in wheelchairs in their allocated entrance, it was a disgrace. The security couldn’t do anything and it took one large fella to tell them to “move out the f’in way” to let the wheelchairs through.

There was a steward on each turnstyle scanning digital tickets. He asked for my phone, I was like ‘eh?” he then shouted “give me your phone I’ll scan it for you” there was obviously huge problems with fans getting them to scan.

Absolute shambles, didn’t expect anything else.
whu are ya wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:28 pm
Entered via turnstile K at about 7.15pm and there was no queue at all, yet J was absolutely rammed as we walked past it.

My issue was that the qr code on Google Pay was right in the center of the screen and so it wouldn't scan as the phone wasn't sticking in far enough! Took me about 5 or 6 goes to get it sorted. A simple design change to put it at the top or bottom would fix that! :crest:
Coops wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:54 pm
Last night was a shambles getting into the ground. We arrived on the island 35 minutes before KO, with the intention of having a swift beer before going to our seats. Every gate we passed had massive queues that went all the way back to the railings, making getting through very difficut. There were no stewards or barriers to control the crowds.
When we eventually got to our gate (C) it was pandemonium with each ticket taking an age to scan. Again no stewards to control the crowd.
Although everybody in the crowd was impatient it was well behaved, there were a few anti GSB chants, but it was orderly. It could have been very different and there could well have been a crush. We eventually reached our seats about 8 minutes into the game, missing the first chance of singing bubbles in a long while.

I feel the whole thing was very badly managed and there should be questions asked and changes made before Saturday. There needs to be stewards controlling the crowd and manually checking tickets. There should be crowd barriers to stop it becoming a free for all, and to allow others to pass by.

All this talk about crowd safety is ignoring the other threat of having so many people pushing in a tight group, which is the possible spread of COVID. Fo many of us it was the first time being in a big crowd for 18 months and this is something that could have been dealt with a lot better by the club.

We run an events company, we get crowds of just a few thousand and if we had the lack of crowd control measures that were at the ground last night, the local Safety Advisory Group would have had a field day. It is unlikely we would be given a license.

mushy
Has liked: 123 likes
Total likes: 212 likes

Re: E Ticketing Fiasco -or not?

Post by mushy » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:59 pm

My first observation is that at least 50% of attendees had printed tickets. If this is the case then why bother at all? We may as well have stuck with the season ticket cards.
Other then that, the QR code on the E Wallet seemed to be a lot more successful then the barcodes. I have no idea why this should be but I saw a lot of people with scanned barcodes being turned away. It wasn't that the scanners were flashing red or anything it was more that the scanners weren't flashing anything, indicating that the scanners just couldn't read the bloody bar codes.
There were also some printed tickets that didn't work because the prints apparently need to be a certain size.
So they said

Igor_E7
Has liked: 456 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by Igor_E7 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:04 pm

An absolute fiasco from my experience. Atalanta: I was struggling to get green light while trying to scan my phone, went to the ticket office and been told I am already inside :/
Leicester: again struggling against QR code, then tried with barcode and finally went through but I saw lot of stress around me, people shouting at poor stewards cos they could not go through. Pathetic really.

ChzMff
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by ChzMff » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:12 pm

I'm going to buck the trend and say it was not a problem at all.

From leaving Pudding Mill Lane station to being in the ground took me about 15 minutes.

There were some queues in E but they moved quickly and got through using my phone without any hitches.

What my group didn't understand though is why are we using this method rather than our season ticket cards though?

hammer it home
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by hammer it home » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:18 pm

I wasn't there last night, but went to the Atalanta game and have to say I got in fine.
QR code in my Google Pay wallet. Agree with most comments that my phone is quite big, so had to play around with the screen so it would read the code.

I have read about other clubs up and down the country having similar issues with new ticketing software/entry process.
I bet it is the same company rolling it out at most clubs tbh...

That being said, the buck stops at WHU. They have a contract with these firms, and if it isn't fully up to scratch, don't roll it out yet.
No way in my job could we deploy a new system release or new tech without the proper UAT first...

Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 349 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:18 pm

Another issue - I think there are about 16 turnstiles at each entrance. Not sure about other entrances but at E last night there was 1 steward (who was on the ball to be fair) for about 15 of them and then a couple more down by the concessions turnstile.

Maybe, and I know this is crazy, maybe get some of the dozens of staff standing pointlessly along the route from station to ground to man the turnstiles and help get rid of any issues.

Or have them on crowd control making sure the queues go in sensible directions and have a gap in them for people to get around the stadium island.

Seems like they would be far more helpful than having then lined up along a closed road doing the square root of f*** all.

Cottee
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Cottee » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:23 pm

Got out of the club shop at about 20 to 8 to be greeted with big queues outside E, but to be fair it moved quickly and we were inside by 10 to. Both mine and my son's QR codes scanned just fine on our phones.

I know digital is all the rage these days but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the old card access system.

r99c
Has liked: 125 likes
Total likes: 79 likes

Post by r99c » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:27 pm

Said this before, but disgraceful that venues are starting to use mobile phone required ticket codes etc in order for people to get in.

What if your phone dies, if you don't have one, if you're not great with technology etc etc. Why the f*** has this taken over from a season ticket card/members card with barcodes which we had for years and worked fine, or even paper tickets with bar code^ same thing.
Last edited by r99c on Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hammer1975
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by hammer1975 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:28 pm

Got in perfectly fine but probably down to two things. firstly, got there about 45 minutes before kick off. Also, our group all had paper back up, two of the group got in fine using screenshot of ticket on phone (no one uses Apple Pay or google wallet), two of us had to revert to paper ticket as phone bar code didn’t seem to work (had paper back up on us just in case).

Going to see how it goes for the Palace game before deciding if we need print back up going forward.

whammo
Has liked: 1 like

Post by whammo » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:29 pm

got to J about 7.40...big queue all the way back to the fence and made it to my seat about 3 minutes into the game.

i like the premise of e-tickets, but always expected teething problems. for some reason, the e-ticket wouldnt load to my phone wallet, but appeared fine on on my watch wallet so i thought cool, that will be fine. turns out i couldnt get the watch into the slot while its on my wrist....doh. took it off to slide it in, and it locks itself doesnt it when removed from wrist. have to put back on to unlock...chunky finger blunders with the pin under pressure from impatient fans behind....dramas. anywho, made it work in the end to many ironic cheers from behind. hopefully the next game will load to my phone wallet.

it'll get better no doubt - we'll get used to it and make it work.

Hindley Hammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Hindley Hammer » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:30 pm

r99c wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:27 pm
Said this before, but disgraceful that venues are starting to use mobile phone required ticket codes etc in order for people to get in.

What if your phone dies, if you don't have one, if you're not great with technology etc etc. Why the **** has this taken over from a season ticket card/members card with barcodes which we had for years and worked fine, or even paper tickets with bar code^ same thing.
On that basis why didnt we stay with the book of paper tickets where your selected the one corresponding to the letter on the plate by the turnstile?

Hindley Hammer

Post by Hindley Hammer » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:30 pm

Last edited by Hindley Hammer on Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hindley Hammer

Post by Hindley Hammer » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:31 pm

fjthegrey
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 245 likes

Post by fjthegrey » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:31 pm

r99c wrote:

What if your phone dies, if you don't have one, if you're not great with technology etc etc. Why the **** has this taken over from a season ticket card/members card with barcodes which we had for years and worked fine, or even paper tickets with bar code^ same thing.
You can print your ticket off mate. It really isn't that difficult for anyone to get a hard copy of their ticket.

Hindley Hammer

Post by Hindley Hammer » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:31 pm

Watford Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Watford Hammer » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:32 pm

Just to add my view. I got in with no problem at all although I got there pretty early; trains all ran to time for once so was there by 6.45. Was still pretty busy though.
I used printed ticket as was easier although had it on my phone as well but worked first time.
I was in E and when I first got to the gate I thought there was a big queue but it seemed people were just using the first few turnstiles despite there being loads of them unused.
Will do same on Saturday and might even chance getting there a bit later.

Boleyn_Hammer
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Boleyn_Hammer » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:33 pm

Was not a great experience for me unfortunately.

Granted I got to the ground a lot later than usual as the M11 was carnage so ended up getting to Gate A about 7:40 where there was a huge group of people trying to get in - hardly ideal in a Covid world.

Got to my seat about 5 minutes into the game.

That being said I’m hoping if I get there at my usual time on Saturday of around an hour before kick off the queues should be a little less and easier to get through.

wildkard
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by wildkard » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:41 pm

r99c wrote:

What if you forget to bring your access card? What if you lose it on the train? What if it just doesn't work?

There's a lot of "what ifs" for any ticketing method.

Denzil
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 79 likes

Post by Denzil » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:43 pm

I'm in 216 on Saturday so will make sure we get there in good time. Atalanta worked fine for me using Apple Wallet but if there are queues like last night I don't want to be stuck.

sutts07
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 113 likes

Post by sutts07 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:49 pm

Three of us went last night (one in his 70s), all with tickets saved down to our iPhones and none of us had any issues.
We were there early and went in at around 6.40, just after the gates had opened anticipating problems.

Found it hassle free and would welcome a Q code for the full season personally.