West Ham Utd 2-2 Crystal Palace (28/08/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator :  Gnome

bonzosbeard
Has liked: 120 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd V Crystal Palace: match thread

Post by bonzosbeard » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:56 pm

feering99 wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:10 pm
UTJ, S-H, Peaches

No story really, I fell out of love with football for a long time. Today was payback by an old school friend I met a couple of years ago after many many years. Back in the day I had talked his mother into letting us go to the Boleyn when we were 13 year olds. Having lurked on here for a few years and opportunity to see a decent West Ham side made the decision easy when the phone rang earlier this week.
That is a great story. I first went in 1978 and last went a couple of games before lockdown 1. The game has changed so much during that time, you probably don't realise you've got quite a story there.

I said things have changed. I watched today and heard the atmosphere and our fans sing and realised some things don't change.

mushy
Has liked: 66 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by mushy » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:09 pm

:newthumb:
simon1982 wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:45 pm
Tough game today. We had chances but I wouldn’t say we worked the palace keeper that much.
I though Conor Gallagher was outstanding. Not only did he score but he was brave, pressed high and stopped us from breaking the lines. Got a great future ahead of him
I agree Simon, thought we were ok first half but second half Palace were by far the better side and could easily have won it.
They out muscled is like we out muscled Leicester on Monday. Our midfield weren't as at it as theirs.

Billydinho
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Billydinho » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:17 pm

Nullified and no option to change it.

God, they’re awful though.

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:21 pm

simon1982 wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:45 pm
Tough game today. We had chances but I wouldn’t say we worked the palace keeper that much.
I though Conor Gallagher was outstanding. Not only did he score but he was brave, pressed high and stopped us from breaking the lines. Got a great future ahead of him
Watching the highlights back and that Gallagher chap has made a fool of Dawson today. Fair play to him but he should not have been able to score those goals.

Irons_Irons

Post by Irons_Irons » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:23 pm

Palace are a big old side, I’m not sure we won a header in their box today!

Thought our game plan was poor, we kept crossing the ball and their centre halves dealt with, with ease. Would of loved to of seen Benny and Bowen really driving into the box but hey ho. Top of the league after three games, I’d of taken that two weeks ago

DenziMart
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by DenziMart » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:26 pm

Irons_Irons wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:23 pm
Palace are a big old side, I’m not sure we won a header in their box today!

Thought our game plan was poor, we kept crossing the ball and their centre halves dealt with, with ease. Would of loved to of seen Benny and Bowen really driving into the box but hey ho. Top of the league after three games, I’d of taken that two weeks ago
Was saying exactly the same thing during the game. Working the ball to the flanks and crossing was playing into their hands. Needed to play the ball on the floor and work it through the middle, but credit to Palace they kept very compact to deny us the space.

HammerAl
Total likes: 73 likes

Post by HammerAl » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:26 pm

I thought we looked pretty good in stages during the first half. Second half was just one of those halves and no one really did themselves any justice. We’re unbeaten going into the international break, which is brilliant.

And Palace might be one of the only sides in the league who win most things in the air against us.

Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:27 pm

Disappointed with the result but not entirely surprised and certainly showed the lack of depth in our squad. Zouma all confirmed now and hopefully more to follow.
Still unbeaten and still top,for now, 7 points from first three games is a very good start.
Palace battled well today and overall a draw was a fair result and a reality check. We have a very good team but are light on the bench.

Oldun
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Oldun » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:28 pm

To me it was that Rice and Soucek lost the midfield in the second half ,both looked tired and leggy ,although the defence mainly Dawson made the mistakes they were not protected by the midfield,which is unusual,I personally think the second half performance from Declan was the worse I have seen him play.

bubbles1966
Has liked: 88 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by bubbles1966 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:37 pm

I know Dawson had some ropey moments but the ball comes in far too easily from our right on both Palace goals, whilst Fabianski gets a weak and slow hand to the first. That shot should never have gone in.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aztec Hammer
Total likes: 74 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:41 pm

Fabianski is not better than Areola. It’s time.

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 104 likes
Total likes: 111 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:47 pm

Aztec Hammer wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:41 pm
Fabianski is not better than Areola. It’s time.
Putting Areola in 'just because' is a bit silly.

He hasn't done anything wrong to warrant being dropped. Although it is the only position that has any real competition.

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 182 likes
Total likes: 469 likes

Post by -DL- » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:55 pm

westham,eggyandchips wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:47 pm

He hasn't done anything wrong to warrant being dropped. Although it is the only position that has any real competition.
He's been pants mate. He's got the agility now of a rusty spring. That 1st goal was a shocker to let in. He could have done better for Leicesters and could have done much better for both of Newcastles. He got away with it because we scored four in each of those, anmd it may have been a bit **** to slate him because of the results. he had a couple of howler games last season too.

I've not got the knives out for the bloke, he's been a good keeper for us - but since his last injury, he's been getting worse. The new bloke deserves to come in now. Fab has had his chance, but 5 goals in 3 games tells its own story. If that was Randolph that had played how Fab has the last 3 games, people would be baying for blood, especially that first goal today.

To say he's done nothing wrong isn't really true.

jastons
Has liked: 81 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by jastons » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:59 pm

I think Fabianski has been brilliant for us. At 36, he must be the oldest first choice keeper in the league? Probably time to give Areola a start.

smuts
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by smuts » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:00 pm

Sorry but I agree. Time to give the other guy a chance to take the shirt.

Aztec Hammer
Total likes: 74 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:06 pm

westham,eggyandchips wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:47 pm

What’s silly is playing the inferior player. This is professional football. You play your best players.

And Fabianski has been naff.

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 182 likes
Total likes: 469 likes

Post by -DL- » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:08 pm

jastons wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:59 pm
I think Fabianski has been brilliant for us.
Me too - but as said above - his form has dropped since his last injury, and I'm not digging him out for the sake of it. I genuinely our GD would be at least 2 better off and maybe our points total also 2 better off today if he had his old agility and ability. He sadly hasn't.

YorksHammer
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by YorksHammer » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:17 pm

Big picture is that we're unbeaten three games into the season.

Small picture is that after being ahead twice it feels like this was two points dropped, even with our second half performance and Palace stepping it up.

Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 29 likes

Post by Sticky » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:24 pm

Just watched the highlights from our opening 3 games and sad to say that there is an argument that Fab could have done better for every single goal conceded.

Time waits for no man. West Ham have a rich history of sone unbelievable keepers. Fabianksi is part of that tapestry, but time for the new boy to earn his keep I think.

fester
Eats sh*t
Total likes: 1 like

Post by fester » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:32 pm

I'm in total agreeance. Love Fab, but think he is losing his edge a bit. Give Areola a chance and Fab a chance to win it back if Areola has a bad spell. Let's strike at the right time.