Southampton 0-0 West Ham Utd (11/09/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

steps
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Re: ⚽ Southampton v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by steps »

Aceface wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:50 am They've got a crop of very average central defenders to play alongside them though.
That Stephens did a job on Antonio I thought. Annoyed him enough for him to lose his cool in the grappling match which led to his first yellow.

Southampton definitely set-up a lot more defensively for this game. They pressed us whenever they were out of possession and often our key players were doubled up on.
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

Yep, Stephens was excellent yesterday but it’s not really representative of his weekly level. He’s one of the weakest parts of that team.
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 480 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

I guess still picking up a point away (and a clean sheet) in a game where we were below par should be considered a decent result?
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1071 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Terrible game and reault was a fair outcome.

Our players coming back looked jaded and it showed in the lack.of quality in both pressing .. passing and the final ball. We gave the ball away on countless times but Saints were just as bad if not worse.

We definitely had to respect the point as despite being comfortable and looking the more likely to win the game .. the final 10mins when Saints pushed 4 up top put us under a lot of pressure and they could easily have snatched the points.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2179 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Unbeaten in 4 I'll take that. We may not finish as high as last season but should be a decent season.
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Felt it was a typical post international break performance. Taking the positive that we managed to keep a clean sheet when in previous years we'd have thrown it away. 8 from 4 and on we go. 1 week rest for Antonio as it was a second yellow?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Ludeksgloves wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:32 am I guess still picking up a point away (and a clean sheet) in a game where we were below par should be considered a decent result?
It is a disappointing one, rather than a bad one, imo. That reflects pre-match optimism and a belief that we could beat Southampton. Palace's thrashing of Spurs put our previous match into perspective.

There were a lot of 6/10 performances yesterday , the odd 5 and Bowen was probably the only 7 (maybe Rice?), though Vlasic showed some ability in his cameo.

Southampton were well-drilled and very restrained in their attempts to actually win the game - it was as though they were the away team trying to grab a point. Hassenhutal showed considerable respect to us in the way they set about the game.

Last year it was 0-0 when we had Haller as well as Antonio, and last time out they held Man U to a draw at home. Wasn't much in Armstrong's performance to suggest we missed the boat with him but the Chelsea loanee mugged off both Dawson and Ogbonna in the last twenty minutes. He could be a very good signing for them.

I felt Moyes was slightly rigid and inflexible yesterday and two games running I've been bemused by his substitutions.

I really do think this squad is better suited to wing backs when Arthur is fit.

4 games, 8 points is a good overall return.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I had never heard of Broja before yesterday but seems he is an English bloke born in Slough but who has decided to play for Albania due to his parents
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I was impressed by their Moussa Djenepo.
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 3032 likes
Total likes: 2679 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Doc H Ball wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:36 am I was impressed by their Moussa Djenepo.
Blind alley player.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:38 am Blind alley player.
Maybe but he worked hard helping out his LB. It was his character that I liked more than his wing play.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1674 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

I'm sure it was Djenepo that the commentator said had something like 1 goal in his last 50 matches or something. :crylol:
rtwhufc1983
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by rtwhufc1983 »

I thought their centre half Salisu was brilliant. Had Antonio in his pocket.
mattyD
Has liked: 310 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by mattyD »

Southampton sat so deep they should have been wearing snorkels. That and performing GBH on Mike every time he threatened to get away. It's something a lot of teams are gonna try so we're gonna have to deal with it. The last few years they've tried their Austrian press or whatever it is and we've done them on the break. They binned there attack to contain us, they did it well and could even have nicked it. A slightly tired performance from us but not a bad one. They showed us a huge amount of respect and we dominated but couldn't break them down. If the corner goes in it's a different story..... Obviously.
smuts
Has liked: 1533 likes
Total likes: 1493 likes

Post by smuts »

Southampton did what Italy did to Kane in the euro final. Push him out deep or wide then take it turns to foul him.

Ward-Prowse couldn't wait to run to the ref to tell him it was a second yellow and he should be off. Snivelling little prick.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Ludeksgloves wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:32 am I guess still picking up a point away (and a clean sheet) in a game where we were below par should be considered a decent result?
Decent result for me and only 1 of 5 Clubs to remain unbeaten so far.
neathiron
Has liked: 481 likes
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by neathiron »

Southampton have yet to win a game this season and Nathan Redmond has scored 1 goal in this calendar year. Previous West Ham teams would have helped them reset those unwanted records, so overall I think it was a decent point.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

El brooko79 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:51 am First 9 games Lingard or last 6 games Lingard?
Current Lingard - the one that's scored 3 goals in his last 2 games
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1202 likes

Post by ironilunga »

I’m sure it’s already been said but this is the same Soton team that held Man Utd to a draw on the opening day.

Clearly no mugs at home.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

bonzosbeard wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:58 am Unbeaten in 4 I'll take that. We may not finish as high as last season but should be a decent season.
If you include last season and pre-season then technically we're unbeaten in 14