Southampton 0-0 West Ham Utd (11/09/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator :  Gnome

Aceface
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Re: ⚽ Southampton v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Aceface » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:20 pm

Every season it’s the worst fixture - boring, low scoring, horrible almost non-PL feeling atmosphere. Feels like an early kick-off even though it’s 3pm.

Glad it’s over with early.

HammerAl
Total likes: 73 likes

Post by HammerAl » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:31 pm

Rice was excellent in that second half. Although we didn’t win, it was a proper captain’s performance. He has such a good positional awareness it’s frightening.

hawkins_hammer

Post by hawkins_hammer » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:33 pm

Thought Antonio was generally crap the whole game, his first touch ended a lot of attacks, and the red card was almost as nailed on as Tanganga's earlier in the day. But I love him all the same.

Slight concern we have no plan b if we can't counter attack and Saints did to us what we wanted to do to them. Nevertheless we've still come a long way, have no obvious weaknesses in the side and we've proven we can keep the ball and control games (scars are slowly healing from the Allardyce years).

Now for the fun on Thursday.

TheHandOfDog

Post by TheHandOfDog » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:36 pm

I thought we were ok to be honest, not great, not terrible. We need to play teams that want to keep the ball and come at us, Southampton don't do that.

2 wins 2 draws from those first 4 games is fine :hamm:

Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by Tristan Shout » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:42 pm

Southampton played for draw and nearly nicked a win in the last 15 mins,
We've been lucky for a while, like clearing the ball off the line today and some of saints terrible shooting, it's going to run out soon

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:46 pm

The last two performances were both ones that we mostly dominated yet by the end of the 90 were probably the luckier side not to lose. They tested the keeper far more than us today.

The no second striker thing looks precisely as idiotic as it did all summer. If we’re lucky we’ll get some ‘having no strikers is good’ takes this week from the usual suspects.

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:56 pm

Aceface wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:46 pm
If we’re lucky we’ll get some ‘having no strikers is good’ takes this week from the usual suspects.
I won't say it's good but I'll reserve judgement until I've actually seen it. Personally I don't think Bowen or Vlasic could have done a worse job than Antonio up front today.

El brooko79
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by El brooko79 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:57 pm

Not a great performance but considering the number of players away for international duty with the lack of preparation time and player fatigue its a decent away point.

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:02 pm

I think the 2 Czech boys need a break - and Fornals didn't look himself either. In hindsight I think the likes of Fredericks and Lanzini might have given us a bit more pace and freshness today.

ironilunga
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 85 likes

Post by ironilunga » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:04 pm

Away point, nothing wrong with that!

bubbles1966
Has liked: 88 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by bubbles1966 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:04 pm

We squandered numerous opportunities to counter with poor passes, we gave the 'keeper a free day of catching practice from set pieces and wide crosses and we didn't create anything much to miss.

Absolutely staggering that Bowen wasn't moved central and even more so that he got subbed. He was the obvious threat.

Coufal was shut down as an outlet in the way that Cresswell is easily shut down. There are times that the full backs need more trickery or pace in order to provide an outlet. Today was one of them. The formation also seems to require Soucek to hold back.

We looked off it from the very start with sloppy passes and players seemingly behaving like they had never seen each other before.

Aceface

Post by Aceface » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:11 pm

Rice being involved in any way in a set piece routine has become a highly predictive signal that it’s going to fail.

He must nail these things in training because otherwise it’s hard to understand how often he’s at the centre of our dead ball situations.

Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Rocketron » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:16 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:04 pm
We squandered numerous opportunities to counter with poor passes, we gave the 'keeper a free day of catching practice from set pieces and wide crosses and we didn't create anything much to miss.

Absolutely staggering that Bowen wasn't moved central and even more so that he got subbed. He was the obvious threat.

Coufal was shut down as an outlet in the way that Cresswell is easily shut down. There are times that the full backs need more trickery or pace in order to provide an outlet. Today was one of them. The formation also seems to require Soucek to hold back.

We looked off it from the very start with sloppy passes and players seemingly behaving like they had never seen each other before.
Yep. not good enough for a team aiming to beat last seasons position.

Gale Force

Post by Gale Force » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:18 pm

Perfectly summed up Bubbles, couldn't have put it better myself.
I was at the game, sat in with the Saints fans. They were convinced we'd win and were very complimentry of both Rice and Antonio.

Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:29 pm

Vlasic, Yarmolenko, Bowen, Benrahma, Fornals.... surely one of these must be able to hit a set-piece. I know Cresswell has scored a couple before but... I can't help thinking there's probably someone else around the squad that's better.

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by Morocco Mole » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:29 pm

Soucek’s header. How?? :arry:

Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:31 pm

Rocketron wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:16 pm
Yep. not good enough for a team aiming to beat last seasons position.
We have no chance of beating last season. The extra Europa games will start taking their toll. Add to that the African nations cup and the extra international players we have now - there's little time for anyone to rest.

bubbles1966
Has liked: 88 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by bubbles1966 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:41 pm

Reading that they spent the two week break prepping for that and changing to a more defensive formation.

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by Morocco Mole » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:00 pm

A lot of teams looked affected by the international break to be fair. I watched Chelsea and although they won they weren’t great.

Soucek buried that header every single time last season.

When Antonio has a shocker, so do we generally.

Diogenes
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by Diogenes » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:01 pm

Post international break where our top players were all over Europe, I personally thought we did better than I expected. Unlike some other posters I thought Dawson did fine. Antonio was pretty poor, IMO, so a 2 week break will probably do him good. Could be worse, he could be injured. We are still unbeaten with our new signings yet to play. Lets not get above ourselves!!