Poland -v- England (WC22 Qualifier)

All discussion relating to international tournaments including qualifying groups/matches. Since 2006.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Re: Poland -v- England (WC22 Qualifier)

Post by jastons »

Look at the trophies Italy, Spain, Germany and France have won in the last 21 years. England did tonight what England usually does.

We need to improve. We need to be better. Fine isn't good enough. Fine doesn't win trophies.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

jastons wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:16 pm Look at the trophies Italy, Spain, Germany and France have won in the last 21 years. England did tonight what England usually does.

We need to improve. We need to be better. Fine isn't good enough. Fine doesn't win trophies.
I don’t get it.

So when France draw at home with Bosnia, it doesn’t matter because they won the last World Cup. But when England draw away to Poland, it shows we aren’t good enough?

England lost a penalty shootout in a final, otherwise we would have had the most recent trophy available. Before that we reached two semi-finals.

There will be a time again in the future when England really are crap and people will be yearning back to these days. Yes England need to improve slightly at the actual tournament to win one, but a draw at Poland has no relevance to that.
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

dodger wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:27 pm I don’t get it.

So when France draw at home with Bosnia, it doesn’t matter because they won the last World Cup. But when England draw away to Poland, it shows we aren’t good enough?

England lost a penalty shootout in a final, otherwise we would have had the most recent trophy available. Before that we reached two semi-finals.
I'm not interested in what France do in their qualifying group. You've said it yourself, France won the last World Cup and England have reached the semis and lost a final.

Would the French swap their recent world cup win for our two semis and a final defeat? No chance.

I want to see England improve.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I think England have improved hugely, a draw at Poland with a 90+ minute equaliser is not a bad result.

We were not as good as we have been, but we were still the better side out there.

We did have more than a few players not quite on it last night, and had a few opportunities to get the ball in that we didn't take it for some reason. Maybe as Kane was way off it last night and not in the right position when we broke/had opportunities?

No subs was a strange one, there were players knackered last night, and it's not like we have a bad bench?!?!?

Dec & Phillips work so well together, cracking pairing and for me both had excellent games.

Have to mention Lewandowski, what a player he still is.

I like the way the refs are letting a lot more go, although I did think he let too much go, but prefer that than a whistle happy ref, at least the game flows better. All in all a decent point, nothing to worry about as we are moving forward and we have a team that has the potential to win tournaments, more importantly, I think they believe they can do it now.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

jastons wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:05 pm It's about making the step up though, we need to do better if we are ever going to win the Euros or World Cup again.
I’m massively “pro” his time in charge, and have nothing but respect for him as a man…

But we’re not going to win a trophy with Southgate in charge.

He has an over inflated sense of superiority when it comes to the actual job of management, based on a strong conservative outlook that he consistently refuses to change until literally goals are going in against us.

Which is fine and considering what we’ve achieved in the lifetime of anyone under the age of 65, makes for more than good enough, in terms of great results and a bit of pride in the national team.

It often remains no better than classic Pullis’ Stoke to watch though
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Grealish was such the weak link in our play last night that he surely won't be featuring from the start again, in these qualifiers?
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

prophet:marginal wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:17 am Grealish was such the weak link in our play last night that he surely won't be featuring from the start again, in these qualifiers?
It's odd that he couldn't get a game last season, but is now first choice.

Complete waste of space last night, too concerned with throwing himself on the floor.

£100m?!?
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 468 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Happy with a point last night, just a bit disappointing to concede so late.

I have to question why Southgate made no changes at all, I found that very odd. Our midfield looked drained and it could have done with freshening up. Maybe substitutions are his Achilles heel?

The Poles did a job on us, were very physical, strong and organised, and we struggled against that, particularly first half. Sterling, Kane (bar the goal) and Walker were shocking, Philipps was superb particularly given the ridiculous early yellow, and Rice was his normal commanding self. The ground those two cover is something else.

Pickford was lucky to get away his error, and Maguire was so often out of position, aimlessly coming forward resulting in nothing much at all. Luckily Rice is aware of this trait and slots in to cover.

But had Southgate the nous of an international manager he would have killed the game with a couple of late subs.

All in all, a good point.

As for Lewandoski, he really is some player - he'd be too old for West Ham though...
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Absolutely baffling he made no attempt at subs last night. :eh: