EL: GNK Dinamo Zagreb 0-2 West Ham Utd (16/09/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Sarfas
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Re: ⚽ GNK Dinamo Zagreb v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Sarfas »

Brilliant performance, within the first five or so minutes it was clear we were on top and the better team. Antonio's run to close down Dinamo's keeper before Théophile-Catherine's poor back pass was quality, no chance he would've had the opportunity to score if he didn't make the run before the ball was player - shows very good awareness and intelligence and I really don't think we would've seen that from him pre-Moyes.

Rice's goal was just him all over. He's incorporated these long, marauding runs into his game and more often than not they pay off for us.

Five years ago today we lost 4-2 away at West Brom. I'm sure anyone who was there will attest to how dire of a performance and team that was (just months after beating Manchester United at the last game at Upton Park). Pretty sure we were 4-0 down after 50 minutes. Moyes has completely changed the culture of the playing staff, long may it continue. Roll on Rapid Wien in two weeks.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

hammerofthedogs wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:39 am Can't wait for the OV, it should be a corker....
google translate might be needed
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

There's been negativity after last night - really? Strange.

I really enjoyed everything about last night - the performance, the result, playing a different opponent in a different competition and seeing how together the players and fans were on the continent. Even playing on a Thursday night was more than enjoyable! I also sat through the whole build-up and match itself, not feeling nervous or anxious at all, for the first time in a very long time. I wasn't worried about conceding a goal or even losing the game, as last night's match felt like such a bonus and so well deserved that I, and I hope everyone else involved, could just sit back and enjoy the moment.

Well done Moyes, his staff and the players.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

This was reported as our most difficult opponents in this group. Having taken a look at Genk's squad, I'm not so sure. They've got some ****ing good players in their team. 'Google' KRC Genk and you'll see what I mean. Wasn't Ike Ugbo linked with us ?
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

hammerofthedogs wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:39 am Can't wait for the OV, it should be a corker....
https://www.zonadinamo.com/discussion/6 ... zagreb/p13

Right click, translate to English, enjoy. They actually seem a decent bunch. Mainly admit that they gave us too much respect and were poor. Majority of their focus is how proud they are of their supporters behind the goal and equally how disappointed in those in the main stand for leaving early. Their captain gets a lot of praise for having a pop at Rice in front of the home end too.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3203 likes
Total likes: 2331 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:23 am This was reported as our most difficult opponents in this group. Having taken a look at Genk's squad, I'm not so sure. They've got some ****ing good players in their team. 'Google' KRC Genk and you'll see what I mean. Wasn't Ike Ugbo linked with us ?
Was Paul Onuachu we were linked with I believe. Got the late winner for them yesterday.
Boleyn_Hammer
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by Boleyn_Hammer »

May have already been mentioned but loved the way that when their captain tried to get at Dec after he scored last night Zouma was the first one over their pushing him away :clap:

Already bought into the team spirit :hammc:
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Not quite OV but I read on the fighting cock that Dynamo aren’t the same team that beat Spurs and we got gifted the goals and it doesn’t mean the performance was good. Oh and we would have lost to Rennes.
psychoscoredthelot

Im still buzzing
psychoscoredthelot

Georgee Paris wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:14 pm Not quite OV but I read on the fighting cock that Dynamo aren’t the same team that beat Spurs and we got gifted the goals and it doesn’t mean the performance was good. Oh and we would have lost to Rennes.
deluded
mushy
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

Puff Daddy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:23 am This was reported as our most difficult opponents in this group. Having taken a look at Genk's squad, I'm not so sure. They've got some ****ing good players in their team. 'Google' KRC Genk and you'll see what I mean. Wasn't Ike Ugbo linked with us ?
Which of their players particularly impress you Puff?
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Georgee Paris wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:14 pm Not quite OV but I read on the fighting cock that Dynamo aren’t the same team that beat Spurs and we got gifted the goals and it doesn’t mean the performance was good. Oh and we would have lost to Rennes.
Like I said, Georgee, Rennes got their game put on BT Sport 1. They are absolutely massive.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1519 likes
Total likes: 3183 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

That was a great performance.

I worry about those who think otherwise. We created multiple high value chances, controlled the ball, controlled the game, offered at best one chance against us and completely bossed a team that is used to winning, in our first European game of the season, first for seasons, first for some of these players too and away from home against a team that smashed Spurs 3-0 last year.

They had 10 minutes against us where they had any momentum, maybe.

We didn’t even get out of second gear. Just consummately and convincingly rolled them over and played it out. All with multiple changes, using five subs and new players with a slight change of system.

That was an exceptionally managed game and a great performance.
mushy
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

Couldn't agree more Wilko.
Any my post yesterday saying that Zagreb were great odds at 3/1 was happily way off the mark.
It's good to be wrong sometimes.
Apologies to anyone that lumped in though.
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 511 likes

Post by Ding »

"Impeccable" is the word I'd use to describe our performance. It was not the best football we are capable, nor did we "destroy" a good European side. Instead, it was impeccably judged and controlled - we were hardly troubled, hardy got out of second gear, were always in control and quietly dominant. And we did all that without risking injury or fitness for the next game.

It was a joy to watch because that is what good professional teams do. They appear, make it look easy and then piss off home, thank you very much. We've seen it done to us for decades, and it feels good to be on the other side. If you look carefully at the body language and eyes of the Dinamo players, you'd see fear - the same fear our players used to feel when playing a team they knew that was better than them. Dinamo knew we were the better team ten minutes into the game. That fear never left them.

Those who think this was an underwhelming game ought to get used to it. This is the new West Ham. Professional, efficient, and savvy. We should never become Spursy as we improve, but we should also realise that something has fundamentally changed in the last 12 months. We are now a very very good side.

Thank you, Mr Moyes.
Last edited by Ding on Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psychoscoredthelot

mushy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:36 pm Couldn't agree more Wilko.
Any my post yesterday saying that Zagreb were great odds at 3/1 was happily way off the mark.
It's good to be wrong sometimes.
Apologies to anyone that lumped in though.
no need to apologise - really really happy to lose that bet :crylol:
London Fields Hammer
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by London Fields Hammer »

Anyone who was there will see how tough travelling somewhere like that can be. Weird stadium, the current hassle of travel, plus an intimidating crowd and good technical opposition. I thought we looked like we'd been playing in Europe for years.
The next two home games will be interesting. We can expect them both to defend and that will test our ability to break down stubborn defences. Can't wait...
brothernero
Has liked: 749 likes
Total likes: 763 likes

Post by brothernero »

Hamburger wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:14 am Do your glasses have a rosy tint? It was a great result but apart from a few highlights it was not a great performance. So pedestrian out of defense, we counted 17 passes across the park at one point where the ball crossed the halfway three times before coming straight back. Zouma to his credit tried to get the ball moving quickly, like he is used to, only to find it coming back to him. I think Moyes dictated that we must not concede so we were very deiberate about possession. The job got done and very professional, a great learning experience but we will have to up the pace a bit to break down better teams.
I'm sure there must be a Tottenham forum out there somewhere where you would be best suited.

Seriously. We just played our first ever game in the Europa League, out first game in Europe for 15 years. Away to a very experienced side who have a great home record in Europe. We dominated the game from start to finish and won 2-0.

Yet some people are still being negative & finding something to moan about. :eh:
brothernero
Has liked: 749 likes
Total likes: 763 likes

Post by brothernero »

sutts07 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:57 am Imagine waiting all those years to see West Ham in official European Competition, getting drawn away to the number one seeded team in the group in the first game (a team who won the domestic double last season and saw off both Arsenal and Spurs on the same pitch recently), going there and winning comfortably without conceding or even letting the other side have a single shot on target and totally controlling the game from start to finish... but not thinking it was a great performance.

Wow. Some people need a reality and levels check.

It was a great performance. You don't have to win 9-0 and rip teams a new hole to be great. A comfortable 2-0 win with minimum exertion, keeping the ball well and completely shutting the home side out is about as good as it gets some times. Considering we have never played at this level before, we took to it as though we were just meant to be there. We didn't give them any time on the ball and we scared the life out of them when we did go at them. it was a great performance.
Absolutely spot on Sutts, well said. :newthumb:

Good news is it seems there are only 2 posters on here who have bizarrely and amazingly found something to moan about yesterdays game.

If you are a West Ham supporter and you are not on cloud 9 after yesterday and still buzzing today and you are in anyway disappointed with even 1 minute of that performance then Imvho West Ham are not the right team for you.
Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Status Kev »

Thoroughly professional performance in what was touted to be the hardest fixture in our group. A big well done to the whole squad, David Moyes and the coaching team.