EL: GNK Dinamo Zagreb 0-2 West Ham Utd (16/09/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator :  Gnome

S-H
GIF Git
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 775 likes

Re: ⚽ GNK Dinamo Zagreb v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by S-H » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:18 am

European football is different game entirely, I thought we adapted to that particular way of playing, seamlessly, whilst utilising the squad at the same time.

Genuinely couldn't of asked for more, we looked like a seasoned European outfit last night, and that is what impressed me above all else.

ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:21 am

Good solid start to the Europa campaign.
Could have been nervy, could have been edgy but we got the job done - 3 points away and a clean sheet is never to be sniffed at.
Shuold take a bit of pressure off getting a good start - now to build on it!
COYI! :crest:

Albie Beck
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Albie Beck » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:32 am

Hamburger wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:14 am

Do your glasses have a rosy tint? It was a great result but apart from a few highlights it was not a great performance. So pedestrian out of defense, we counted 17 passes across the park at one point where the ball crossed the halfway three times before coming straight back. Zouma to his credit tried to get the ball moving quickly, like he is used to, only to find it coming back to him. I think Moyes dictated that we must not concede so we were very deiberate about possession. The job got done and very professional, a great learning experience but we will have to up the pace a bit to break down better teams.
Having reflected on it a bit it wasn't a great performance, but it was an excellent, professional one. We can and will play better.

What was surprising was how poorly Dinamo played for much of the game. However, early in the second half they showed a bit more of what they are capable of, and we should be wary of them in the return - they are a good side who underperformed massively.

Still loved it though :D

Felixstowesfinest
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Felixstowesfinest » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:36 am

Dominant performance
Great support
Happy days ⚒⚒

woodford
Has liked: 4 likes

Post by woodford » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:38 am

It was a great performance given the context. 1st away game in europe against a team that conquers all in their own country.

Please tell me what the **** people want ??

3-0 would've been better i suppose

larryberyl

Post by larryberyl » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:40 am

some people talk some rubbish on here. saying it wasnt a great performance ! our performance reminded me of the great liverpool teams away from home in europe. take the sting out of the match , control possession and score a few goals. perfect performance. also conserved energy and no injuries.
good use of subs by moyes especially hooking lanzini asap after he got away with a foul.

more of the same away from home for me would be ideal.

you cant play PL football in europe.

I did notice that fabianski on a couple of their efforts just stood and watched the ball go wide. he is either super cool or slowing up.

onto the mancs

Ethanadict
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Ethanadict » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:40 am

I’m a very proud hammer today.

We took control against an experienced European side and did a very professional job and won deservedly.

For those who say Zagreb played poorly … you play as well as you’re allowed to play. Our guys did their jobs.

Huge credit to Moyes for playing a strong side, which is what our fantastic travelling supporters deserved. A strong side while blooding in a few that haven’t played this season. Could we ask for more? The balance looked really good.

The cherry on the cake is seeing the Declan Rice post match interview and seeing how happy he is at West Ham. Love the bones of the guy.

r99c
Has liked: 66 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by r99c » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:41 am

I'm going to have to disagree with that assessment that we played poorly. Once we were winning we never looked like letting the game slip - and doing that in a somewhat hostile away environment isn't an easy feat.

I can see what you mean - our play lacked precision going forward - but honestly it does not really matter.

I'm glad Lanzini got extremely lucky - that was definitely a second yellow & we got away with one there.

miles
This site...

Post by miles » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:42 am

That kit without the sponsor is beautiful and we are going to win the Cup. :scarfer:

davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by davids cross » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:44 am

Was very strange.....

Basically, the first 5 or 10 minutes decided the match.

In that time period.....they realised we were better than them........and we realised we were better than them. And it was very clear, very early, that everybody on the pitch had agreed to such a view..... Thereafter, the outcome was inevitable.

We are massive.

woodford
Has liked: 4 likes

Post by woodford » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:45 am

r99c wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:41 am

I'm glad Lanzini got extremely lucky - that was definitely a second yellow & we got away with one there.
Good luck bad luck. He got booked for winning the ball and getting kicked. Then escaped a nailed on 2nd

r99c
Has liked: 66 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by r99c » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:46 am

woodford wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:45 am
Good luck bad luck. He got booked for winning the ball and getting kicked. Then escaped a nailed on 2nd
Yeah too true but can't turn back the clock after his 2nd yellow one to erase the 1st! Hope Moyes had a little word with him :crylol:

larryberyl

Post by larryberyl » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:47 am

good work by moyes to get him off

Rasp

Post by Rasp » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:57 am

Any one else think that Declan's goal had a touch of Hurst's goal in 66.

appyammer al

Post by appyammer al » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:02 am

It wasn't a Great Performance???
Well I must've been watching a different game.

Three words...
Declan ****ing Rice!
We genuinely have a top top world class player now.
Who remembers those early dodgy games for us a few years as a rookie youngster.. inc that stinker v Arsenal and ducking a header to concede a goal.
Just look at him now.
I enjoyed his post match interview and what he says about the fans too.
If he's still here next season I'll be stunned and amazed!
In the meantime I'm gloating and singing his praises to all my Chelsea, Spuds & Arse mates and most actually agree for once.
So very proud of him.

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 471 likes

Post by -DL- » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:03 am

OK boys and girls, you know what to do. Leave these EL match threads to me. :coolas:

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:06 am

One very proud hammer today, pretty much bossed the whole game.

Changed the squad around and we still looked strong, credit to Moyes for wanting to get off to a good start, which we did by being the better side and being very professional.

Was surprised Kral & Areola didn't start, but maybe Moyes thought too many changes & their time will come, plus Moyes wanted the win, no arguments from me.

One very proud hammer, did I mention that :D :scarfer:

Declan 8-)

sendô
Has liked: 266 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by sendô » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:12 am

A solid and professional if unspectacular performance, that. Nonetheless I enjoyed it so much I decided to stay in the pub and watch the Leicester game too. Currently craving a greasy fry up to soak up the 8 pints of Estrella.

First half went well enough, them sitting deep and compact and us pressing and probing. Fantastic reactions from Antonio to read that backpass and nick the ball ahead of the keeper. Even on replay I didn't think he'd get to it. The second half started badly when the tele suddenly went off and the barstaff faffed around for a solid 5 minutes trying to get the game back on. Then when it did come back it was suddenly some team in red and black playing some other team in white. Apparently some pillock had strolled in at half time and asked for the Spurs game to be put on. The cheek of it. Naturally I very calmly explained that West Ham playing in the Europa League takes precedence over some two bob team in a two bob cup, and that he can watch it on the small tele at the back. The game came back on in time to see everyone celebrating and one of the Zagreb players trying to have pop at Declan Rice. Natural order restored.

hammers92
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 73 likes

Post by hammers92 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:16 am

Last night was my Dad's 60th, I don't know whether any of the players read our nonsense but on the off chance, I absolutely ****ing love you.

That was proper special.

Scratchy

Post by Scratchy » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:17 am

Those two posters saying it wasn't a great performance have lost the plot. We were utterly dominant.