West Ham Utd 1-2 Manchester Utd (19/09/21)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Manchester Utd: match thread

Post by e17 »

This wont be pretty. Seems ignored by a lot of observers that OGS is basically Tony Pullis with a large budget. His teams play a lot of rubbish football
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2180 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Win lose or draw that's a great thing to hear the gaffer say.
HammerTime86
Has liked: 402 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by HammerTime86 »

I really don't like OGS. Haven't paid close attention but I think he's a bit of a fraud. But I always think that about most of the rich clubs who splash the cash.

Being a pessimist hoping for 1-1 at best but expecting a loss.
Has liked: 4560 likes
Total likes: 1539 likes

Post by Sticky »

We have the players to give them as good as game as they will face this season. We can definitely hurt them.

A solid display at the back, full on desire and concentration and we have the quality to stick a few chances away. This is the thing ~ you know with the quality that we have, invariably, we will always get 3/4 decent chances a game.

Hoping Vlasic gets up to speed quickly ~ I feel he could be a special player for us, but we have quality thru out.

I'd like to see Areola begin to take over from Fab now as well. Switch Fab to Cup and Euro games.
DublinDave
Has liked: 2755 likes
Total likes: 1782 likes

Post by DublinDave »

El brooko79 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:44 pm Ronaldo will be CF surely?
Think we need to try and stop them getting crosses in. Particularly him pulling onto Cresswell on the back post. Shaw will be looking for him.

I'd match them with 4 at the back rather than with wing backs.

Otherwise our wing backs will be picking up there wide forwards and Benrahma & Fornals/Vlasic will be dragged back to follow their fullbacks leaving Bowen on his own.

Atleast with 4-2-3-1 we will still have a number 10 to help support Bowen when we can break
Ronaldo floats between the left hand side & the centre which is where Fredericks comes into his own, he has pace to burn & had the lad who put 3 past spuds last year in his pocket yesterday...
I'm probably totally wrong but I just think Moyes will start him...
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2687 likes
Total likes: 1783 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

West Ham United 3 Manchester United 1
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Vlad...number 9....fetch!
LittleChris
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by LittleChris »

Oggy to get his revenge on Martial for that awful foul last year then score the winner in the 86th minute. Coufal and Fredericks to do a number on the Portuguese muppet like they did on Grealish last year.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Hoping we can get to a position where a rousing rendition of "Jesse, what's the score? Jesse, Jesse, what's the score?" erupts around the ground.

I can't see it, but I can hope. :grin:
kotch22

Re: West Ham v Manchester Utd - Match Thread Sunday 19th September

Post by kotch22 »

HoustonHammer24 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:35 am With Michail out for this one, and a couple of players probably leggy after Zagreb, would go 3-4-3 for this one.

———————Fabianski/Areola————————
———Zouma——Ogbonna——Cresswell———
Coufal———Rice————Soucek———Masuaku
Fornals——————Bowen——————Benrahma

Soucek and Rice might be tired, so extra defensive cover to help out when needed. If one of Rice/Soucek isn’t ready for this one, Kral or Noble to come in. If Fornals isn’t fit, then Vlasic/Lanzini to step in.

Masuaku and Coufal going to take on the majority of the work supporting both defense and attack. I went for Masuaku b/c he’s better in attack, but if he’s not fit enough for this, then Johnson or Fredericks can take his place. Keep it tight and try to nick a goal or two. Set pieces will be key in this one.
This is spot on I think. Big game for Benrahma if this is the lineup/system - can he produce some magic in a tough game like this? I hope so.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

With the crowd and perhaps a bit of overconfidence from them, I fancy us a bit here.

Yes Ronaldo is an incredible talent, but he doesn’t move as much as he used to. He more often now just takes up positions and waits for players to set it up for him. We must play Zouma to help deal with their pace (Greenwood and Sancho).

West Ham 2-1 Man Utd
100% post match coverage on the Man Utd meltdown and whether Ole should now walk.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

They have 4 top quality players in Shaw, Pogba, Fernandes and Ronaldo. Wan-Bisaka and Maguire are decent players, but I’m not sold on Varane or Sancho yet, De Gea and Henderson are in poor form, I don’t rate Fred or Matic or Martial and Greenwood is very hit or miss. I don’t think Lingard is well suited to their style. Even without Antonio, I think we will match them and it will be a tight encounter. In the past Moyes has shown a lot of respect to the so called “big clubs” I think we may surprise them by jumping on the front foot from the second the whistle is blown.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Peaches wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:42 am They have 4 top quality players in Shaw, Pogba, Fernandes and Ronaldo. Wan-Bisaka and Maguire are decent players, but I’m not sold on Varane or Sancho yet, De Gea and Henderson are in poor form, I don’t rate Fred or Matic or Martial and Greenwood is very hit or miss. I don’t think Lingard is well suited to their style. Even without Antonio, I think we will match them and it will be a tight encounter. In the past Moyes has shown a lot of respect to the so called “big clubs” I think we may surprise them by jumping on the front foot from the second the whistle is blown.
I think you are right. Remember that game last season where we should have scored a shedload by half time? And we are a good bit better now in my estimation.
roblo
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by roblo »

After the start we've had in the league, then Thursday night, Ronaldo, Lingard etc, it's gonna be absolute rocking on Sunday. Gave up the season ticket and most home games in 2018 (issues with the stadium/board) but Covid put things in perspective. Couldn't imagine not being at Sunday's game. Can not wait!
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Somebody scored a bullet header for us and it really was a bullet too, low and it went in like a rocket into the far corner, after a move through midfield, the ball went out wide, cross into the box and kappow. That made it 1-1. Don't know what the final score was. Must've dreamt this, mind
Hamburger
Has liked: 864 likes
Total likes: 447 likes

Post by Hamburger »

With Antonio and Benrahma out, can't see us scoring in open play unless Yarmolenko finds his big match form or Vlasic get a break. Clean sheet would be great.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Benrahma out :shock: What's this ?
honkytonk
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by honkytonk »

I can see Moyes playing a back 3 for this, but with Antonio missing I think we could use a bit more attacking input from midfield. I think Moyes said Arthur is not quite ready to start yet. Add to that, bringing Zouma in gives us a better option at CB and a bit more pace. Id be tempted to put Vlasic up top, (Very) early indications to me is that he looks good with his back to goal. perhaps.......

Fabs

Coufal
Zouma
Oggy
Cresswell

Rice
Soucek
Lanzini

Bowen
Fornals
Vlasic

Tough on Benny, it was a toss up between him and Lanzini (with Fornals moving into the centre and Benny playing out wide, although he could play the centre role)
funky chicken
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 1228 likes

Post by funky chicken »

I don’t think Moyes actually said Benrahma was out. He just said he took a bit of a knock on his knee in Zagreb. Although to be fair if he plays as poor as he did in his last 2 League games how would you even know he was missing anyway?
El brooko79
Has liked: 3025 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

-----------------Fab
Coufal---Zouna---Oggy---Cress
--------Soucek---Rice
Fornals---Benny----Vlasic
-------------Bowen

Providing no one is too fatigued that must be our best team