The Energy Crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Re: The Energy Crisis

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

ToMoS, can't you drill for oil? I thought that scots land was built on oil fields....
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2659 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:21 am With Energy Prices only going one way ....UP.....petrol and diesel cars being phased out in the next however many years to be replaced by Electric Battery Powered Cars ....where do you lot think this will leave the Poorest in Society ? With stories of folk normally associated with the Middle Class claiming they cannot afford to pay their bills having to attend Food Banks etc etc are some of them being dragged into the poverty trap too ....where will it all end - how will society look in say 40 years time....will country dwellers such as ourselves be able to afford to live in the country or will we all have to become town or city dwellers ?
Something has to give .
In the short term, lots of things that were once luxuries but were more readily available will become luxuries again. Decent cars, foreign holidays, regular meals out are likely to become out of reach for a lot of people.

In the long term it is much harder to say.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

EvilC wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:28 am In the short term, lots of things that were once luxuries but were more readily available will become luxuries again. Decent cars, foreign holidays, regular meals out are likely to become out of reach for a lot of people.

Not for ToMoS, he won the lottery AND has a double glazing company down south.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:32 am Not for ToMoS, he won the lottery AND has a double glazing company down south.
His Wickerman-style reintroduction of Paganism to his remote isle doesn’t fund itself.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

EvilC wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:53 pm It has everything to do with market forces and **** all to do with the media.
Mate there's no way you can say that the media has no influence in this at all. It clearly gives the fuel companies leeway to push the price just that little bit higher.

As RR pointed out, the "fuel shortage" last year was exclusively down to media scaremongering that triggered panic in the public.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

sendô wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:58 am Mate there's no way you can say that the media has no influence in this at all. It clearly gives the fuel companies leeway to push the price just that little bit higher.

As RR pointed out, the "fuel shortage" last year was exclusively down to media scaremongering that triggered panic in the public.
It gives people information on what is going on. What they choose to do with it is up to them.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

EvilC wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:28 am In the short term, lots of things that were once luxuries but were more readily available will become luxuries again. Decent cars, foreign holidays, regular meals out are likely to become out of reach for a lot of people.

When I was suppose to be studying depressing novels such as Tess Of The D'Urbervilles I was buying books on Self Sufficiency by a chap called John Seymour and he kinda envisaged what's happening now though he concentrated more on the time when oil finally ran out - he wanted a return to the days of the horse & cart etc etc - I'm in the Autumn of life so this won't affect me but it's possible that my children and their children won't have the same luxuries we experienced - we were all told that the Future would bring more Leisure Time and that Robots would be doing most of our work - if Energy and Fuel continue to spiral I can see the exact opposite happening unless of course this is just a blip .
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

EvilC wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:20 am It gives people information on what is going on. What they choose to do with it is up to them.
Yeah, like so many sheep. But it then becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:23 am When I was suppose to be studying depressing novels such as Tess Of The D'Urbervilles I was buying books on Self Sufficiency by a chap called John Seymour and he kinda envisaged what's happening now though he concentrated more on the time when oil finally ran out - he wanted a return to the days of the horse & cart etc etc - I'm in the Autumn of life so this won't affect me but it's possible that my children and their children won't have the same luxuries we experienced - we were all told that the Future would bring more Leisure Time and that Robots would be doing most of our work - if Energy and Fuel continue to spiral I can see the exact opposite happening unless of course this is just a blip .
Doesn't everything depend on how quickly the green revolution takes place?
The Old Man of Storr

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:25 am ToMoS, can't you drill for oil? I thought that scots land was built on oil fields....

I can see it getting back in fashion .
The Old Man of Storr

EvilC wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:37 am Doesn't everything depend on how quickly the green revolution takes place?
Needs to be in tandem with Nuclear Power I reckon .
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

EvilC wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:42 am His Wickerman-style reintroduction of Paganism to his remote isle doesn’t fund itself.
It's not that he can't fund his program, it is more to do with the subscription being in old £'s, /-'s & d's that causing issues.
The Old Man of Storr

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:40 am It's not that he can't fund his program, it is more to do with the subscription being in old £'s, /-'s & d's that causing issues.

We pay for all our energy in rubles . :wink:
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:44 am We pay for all our energy in rubles . :wink:
With the rubles of Chapel Finian by any chance? :crylol:
The Old Man of Storr

Government Minister gives go-ahead for gas drilling in the Surrey Hills .

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... s-drilling
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:54 am Government Minister gives go-ahead for gas drilling in the Surrey Hills .

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... s-drilling
The site is in the South West Surrey constituency of Jeremy Hunt, the former health secretary, who strongly opposes the project.
That is an interesting line will Hunt put a stop to it if he gets the killing blow on Boris and takes the big chair.
The Old Man of Storr

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:47 am With the rubles of Chapel Finian by any chance? :crylol:

Barney & Betty . :grin: :newthumb:
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:40 am Needs to be in tandem with Nuclear Power I reckon .
In theory yes, but it takes ten years from getting a first spade in the ground to build a nuclear power station. I sort of wonder if this will mean that renewables overtake this stuff, which should have been done years ago.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

EvilC wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:07 am In theory yes, but it takes ten years from getting a first spade in the ground to build a nuclear power station. I sort of wonder if this will mean that renewables overtake this stuff, which should have been done years ago.
10 years if you have the people who can do it, which we don't. So add another few years and a massive premium to the construction costs to get the required expertise in.

Not looking good.
The Old Man of Storr

EvilC wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:07 am In theory yes, but it takes ten years from getting a first spade in the ground to build a nuclear power station. I sort of wonder if this will mean that renewables overtake this stuff, which should have been done years ago.
I believe Wylfa B has been given the go ahead after some delay - 10 years in the grand scheme of things is nothing .

Once set up Nuclear energy is cheap and clean [ apart from the obvious stuff ] - maybe Elon Musk will drop Twitter and go into the nuclear waste disposal industry - just fire off that waste into space .....easy peasy lemon squeezy ....where do I collect my consultation fee ?
Last edited by The Old Man of Storr on Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.