The Energy Crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Re: The Energy Crisis

Post by RichieRiv »

Loftyhammer wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:30 am Agree this milder winter has benefited us from an economic sense....and it is lovely to feel some sun on the face.

But it does also highlight the global warming concern (assuming these are abnormal temps for a typical Feb).... Illustrates the tightrope we walk between here and now economics; and future health of us & planet
By the planet heating up, especially in winter, it means we are using less fossil fuels to heat our houses and therefore emitting less CO2. If the scientists are right, this will slow down climate change (hence the carbon net zero targets) and therefore everyone and the planet will be better off.

I see it as a win-win.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1594 likes

Post by alf git »

The planet was always going to be fine TBF.
:grin:
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2656 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

RichieRiv wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:51 pm By the planet heating up, especially in winter, it means we are using less fossil fuels to heat our houses and therefore emitting less CO2. If the scientists are right, this will slow down climate change (hence the carbon net zero targets) and therefore everyone and the planet will be better off.

I see it as a win-win.
It also means you burn more fossil fuels to keep buildings cool in the summer. To what extent one offsets the other I don’t know.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 892 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

EvilC wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:15 pm It also means you burn more fossil fuels to keep buildings cool in the summer. To what extent one offsets the other I don’t know.
Also, I remember reading some science journal thing that said around 90% of CO2 emissions are from manufacturing/commerce, with the minority being from 'public' sources.

Unless we sort out our fetish for consumerism, turning the lights off and the heating down is negligible from a save the planet POV.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2656 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Post by EvilC »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:22 pm Also, I remember reading some science journal thing that said around 90% of CO2 emissions are from manufacturing/commerce, with the minority being from 'public' sources.

Unless we sort out our fetish for consumerism, turning the lights off and the heating down is negligible from a save the planet POV.
UK and US are about 20%. And the best way of reducing it is a high price. But people don’t like it.
Friend or Foé
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Friend or Foé »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:22 pm Also, I remember reading some science journal thing that said around 90% of CO2 emissions are from manufacturing/commerce, with the minority being from 'public' sources.

I kind of agree. As homeowners, there are many things we can do, but ultimately the bigger picture is at a national infrastructure level. Now, the public are being tasked with transitioning over to battery cars with their own money. This isn’t a cheap commitment. I want the government of the day to at least match the public with quick enough change in provision of cleaner electricity sources, hydrogen plants to convert excess overnight wind generation that feeds into power stations, nuclear power program etc…
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1977 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

not sure if it belongs in here but......

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... uel-cancer

This article is co-published with ProPublica, a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power

This ‘climate-friendly’ fuel comes with an astronomical cancer risk

The Environmental Protection Agency recently gave a Chevron refinery the green light to create fuel from discarded plastics as part of a climate-friendly initiative to boost alternatives to petroleum. But, according to agency records obtained by ProPublica and the Guardian, the production of one of the fuels could emit air pollution that is so toxic, one out of four people exposed to it over a lifetime could get cancer.

“That kind of risk is obscene,” said Linda Birnbaum, former head of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. “You can’t let that get out.”

That risk is 250,000 times greater than the level usually considered acceptable by the EPA division that approves new chemicals. Chevron hasn’t started making this jet fuel yet, the EPA said. When the company does, the cancer burden will disproportionately fall on people who have low incomes and are Black because of the population that lives within three miles of the refinery in Pascagoula, Mississippi.

TIFWIW
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1414 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Sorry, to check I've read this right - they're creating a fuel from plastics? The things that since being a kid I was taught you never put on a bonfire because they emit toxic fumes?
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

^^^ maybe you burn it incredible temps - should reduce/remove any unburnt particles (or maybe not).
view from the shires
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by view from the shires »

OFT wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:44 am can only assume that the utilities are taking advantage where they can but perhaps don't need to
You are correct. Regardless of where your electricity is coming from (nuclear, wind etc.) the companies are charging you the most expensive rate which is for electricity produced by gas powered stations. Hence the high profits. :furrow:
view from the shires
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by view from the shires »

Denbighammer wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:04 am Apparently, gonna go cold end of March. Snow etc.
The met office cannot reliable predict the weather beyond 5 days unless we are stuck under a huge high pressure system blocking other weather conditions affecting us. The predictions of what the weather will do further than a week ahead usually contains terms like "likely" to cover their butts. If you watch the Countryfile weather on Sunday evening the openly admit most weeks that by Friday they are guessing what will happen. :grin:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1977 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

YorksHammer wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:30 pm Sorry, to check I've read this right - they're creating a fuel from plastics? The things that since being a kid I was taught you never put on a bonfire because they emit toxic fumes?
that's EXACTLY how I read it..

and again from what I read (and I haven't considered the source but one is a lady who used to be high up in the EPA) they also said that they cannot confirm everything because the people who are doing it, don't HAVE to tell anyone what it is they are burning (or actually the chemical composite due to some kind of "secrets" involved..) so they have to "estimate" or "guess" and then Chevron say no, you're wrong and then the EPA say "well tell us what you're burning" and Chevron say no because of "trade secrets" so to speak.

that's of course if I read it correctly. but they DID show a redacted page that showed what is going to be burned. and you cannot read it because it's redacted.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:34 pm that's of course if I read it correctly. but they DID show a redacted page that showed what is going to be burned. and you cannot read it because it's redacted.
If you hold the page to the light can't you see past the felt-tip and see the text..?
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1414 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

view from the shires wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:32 pm If you watch the Countryfile weather on Sunday evening the openly admit most weeks that by Friday they are guessing what will happen. :grin:
Blimey, I've just had a massive flashback to my Dad and Grandad insisting that the Countryfile weather went on the telly on a Sunday. That and Midsomer Murders were about the only appointment TV in my house.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Not sure if it was this thread or not, but people were discussing PV arrays in farming fields

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/world-ec ... er_android
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Seems sensible. The cap is expected to fall below £2500 from July, AIUI.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2180 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

BBC News - Aramco: Saudi state-owned oil giant sees record profit of $161bn
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-64931074

What crisis. Order me a bigger boat.
wolf359
Has liked: 1587 likes
Total likes: 1735 likes

Post by wolf359 »

bonzosbeard wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:53 pm BBC News - Aramco: Saudi state-owned oil giant sees record profit of $161bn
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-64931074

What crisis. Order me a bigger boat.
Got to pay for all the F1 sponsorship somehow.