The Energy Crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1092 likes

Re: The Energy Crisis

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

mumbles87 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:49 pm Well realistically the Tories knew the housing market would collapse without it and without the housing market the UK has next to nothing.

So it was propping that up disguised as helping the common man.
Furlough etc propped up businesses. It let them retain staff and avoided a depression (so I guess in that sense it helped the housing market). It was a welfare programme so capitalism was still there when we came out of the other side.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

This is about how bad OFGEM are. If you read this, you probably need to get out more.

https://watt-logic.com/2022/05/30/ofgem-failures/
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

OFWAT are just as bad. When businesses had to shop around for their water services, it was clear that lots of the companies who sprang up were nothing more than a few people working out of a shed.

No proper checks, nothing.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61633993

I'm not sure that this is viable and that there aren't better value alternative solutions.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^Not even as a short term solution to help get us through next winter?
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:41 pm ^^^Not even as a short term solution to help get us through next winter?
They are talking about £2bn worth of work on an asset that was already beyond its estimated working life and will have probably degraded since then - I'm not an engineer but it is a long way from a plug in and go solution. I think it'll take a long time to do and will be fraught with risk, you could easily end up spending all this money and more on something that doesn't work. They have already withdrawn some of the cushion gas from the facility.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

EvilC wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:12 pm They are talking about £2bn worth of work on an asset that was already beyond its estimated working life and will have probably degraded since then - I'm not an engineer but it is a long way from a plug in and go solution. I think it'll take a long time to do and will be fraught with risk, you could easily end up spending all this money and more on something that doesn't work. They have already withdrawn some of the cushion gas from the facility.
I read sometime ago about power stations and how they cannibalise the equipment to such a degree that they'll never get them running again. I'd imagine that they'll have similar issues here.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:55 pm I read sometime ago about power stations and how they cannibalise the equipment to such a degree that they'll never get them running again. I'd imagine that they'll have similar issues here.
With power stations when you mothball them you have problems from them going cold.

Rough was barely functioning when they closed it five years ago. I dare say it can be done, but it'll cost a lot and the process will be fraught with uncertainty and risk.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2184 likes
Total likes: 1382 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

I have a smart meter. Late last year a technician connected it to my gas and electricity. It resets sunday night for a new week.

I check this regularly. I also add the standing charge.

I overpay my bill so I can be in credit. I think I'm paying £85 over now it's summer but bill is only just short of what I pay.

This is several months now.

What is the point of a smart meter if not accurate or is there skullduggery going on?

Yes I work out there are more than 4 weeks in a month. It's still well out, 30-40%
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

bonzosbeard wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:50 pm I have a smart meter. Late last year a technician connected it to my gas and electricity. It resets sunday night for a new week.

I check this regularly. I also add the standing charge.

I overpay my bill so I can be in credit. I think I'm paying £85 over now it's summer but bill is only just short of what I pay.

This is several months now.

What is the point of a smart meter if not accurate or is there skullduggery going on?

Yes I work out there are more than 4 weeks in a month. It's still well out, 30-40%
I can’t work out what you are saying. Your smart meter is showing higher usage than your actual meter?
whuben
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by whuben »

My deal is up in a couple of weeks and BG have offered me to lock in for the next year, basis everything going on prices are are only going one way arnt they?
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

whuben wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:18 am My deal is up in a couple of weeks and BG have offered me to lock in for the next year, basis everything going on prices are are only going one way arnt they?
Prices are going up in October again. I can't recall the forecast amount but I think it was around 40%.

I'm not certain that wholesale prices are only going one way. There are lots of event risks and it is really difficult to quantify.

What you need to work out is: what is the tariff they are offering me vs. the price cap now and where the price cap might be in October.

From what I have seen you pay a lot for a fix right now and being on the price cap is probably a good choice for most.
whuben
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by whuben »

EvilC wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:33 am Prices are going up in October again. I can't recall the forecast amount but I think it was around 40%.

I'm not certain that wholesale prices are only going one way. There are lots of event risks and it is really difficult to quantify.

What you need to work out is: what is the tariff they are offering me vs. the price cap now and where the price cap might be in October.

From what I have seen you pay a lot for a fix right now and being on the price cap is probably a good choice for most.
Thanks mate

Just checked the new v old deal, its about 35% increase inc the standing charge increase, so there or there abouts to the projected increase
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1092 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Unleaded is £197.9 at the garage next door. It was £1.78 a couple of weeks ago.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:47 pm Unleaded is £197.9 at the garage next door. It was £1.78 a couple of weeks ago.
Christ. Tesco is £1.73 near me, Shell is £1.79 as of today.

Am tempted to fill up a tanker and Mad Max my way to Yorkshire.
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

2 quid plus a litre everywhere soon. :evil:
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

EvilC wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:04 pm Christ. Tesco is £1.73 near me, Shell is £1.79 as of today.

Am tempted to fill up a tanker and Mad Max my way to Yorkshire.
It’s no different up north, well the other side of the Pennines at least. The shell near me is £1.81 today. Tesco down the road £1.79

By winter it will be a toss up between working from home and extreme heating costs or driving to work but paying well over £2 a litre to do so. Happy times.
jastons
Has liked: 902 likes
Total likes: 859 likes

Post by jastons »

Shell in Glasgow - £1.93 for diesel
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

A few weeks ago the difference between unleaded and diesel was about 14-16ppl. Now its 2-4ppl around here. Why has petrol risen so sharply & diesel prices have remained static?