The Energy Crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Re: The Energy Crisis

Post by EvilC »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:43 pm Where's that come from Evil? Have you got a source?
People at work.

Basically, every day right now Russia keeps pumping gas through Ukraine. And each day that happens is a bonus.

Initial suggestions are that so far (and obviously it isn't cold yet) people have trimmed their demand. We also should have Rough come back online shortly.

It looks like the UK will remain a de facto gas import hub for Europe for a while.

Lots could happen - it could be unseasonably cold, LNG could be interrupted, whatever else. But the outlook is a bit rosier than it was a month or so ago.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1856 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

It looks like the UK will remain a de facto gas import hub for Europe for a while.

Is that an earner for the UK?
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:55 pm It looks like the UK will remain a de facto gas import hub for Europe for a while.

Is that an earner for the UK?
I don’t think so. It just means we have better access to gas than they do and that ours is cheaper.

Probably most importantly it means they rely on us here (I believe it tends to be the other way round for electricity). This may be politically useful, although obviously it depends on how we wield any power that comes from that.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1091 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

We could invade Ukraine
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

To be fair we used to be good at invading other countries, sticking our flag in the ground and calling dibs.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5679 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

sendô wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:52 pm To be fair we used to be good at getting one faction in other countries to overthrow the legitimate government, sticking our flag in the ground and calling dibs.
:winker:
old fart
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by old fart »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:48 pm For us, the 67 quid or whatever gets paid directly to our bank account by the supplier (EDF), which is what they are doing for all DD customers.

Yes I'm a bit confused I have oil heating, no gas in my village. My DD with EON before all this malarkey was £68 a month then it went up to £114 and then to £138 I just been advised I'm £185 in credit and my DD is £65
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

old fart wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:37 pm Yes I'm a bit confused I have oil heating, no gas in my village. My DD with EON before all this malarkey was £68 a month then it went up to £114 and then to £138 I just been advised I'm £185 in credit and my DD is £65
from what ive read everyone will get it from their electric provider not their gas. This is because more people have electric so its easier
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

Using Octopus' "crystal ball" mode it suggesting that we need to pay £505 a month just so we break even (have a zero balance) in June next year.

if we continue to pay the £240 a month we are currently paying then we will be in over £3k's worth of debt by June 23 :cried:
SammyLeeWasOffside

kenthammer1984 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:36 am Using Octopus' "crystal ball" mode it suggesting that we need to pay £505 a month just so we break even (have a zero balance) in June next year.

if we continue to pay the £240 a month we are currently paying then we will be in over £3k's worth of debt by June 23 :cried:
What sort of tariff are you on? That seems an awfully big gap to appear, octopus have been pretty proactive with us.

They did lower the DD to account for the govt loan we are all getting but I've put that back up again to what it was.
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2233 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:49 am What sort of tariff are you on? That seems an awfully big gap to appear, octopus have been pretty proactive with us.

They did lower the DD to account for the govt loan we are all getting but I've put that back up again to what it was.
I'd not heard of this Crystal Ball thing so just used it....recommends we don't take the full reduction but sit at just below what we're paying now to get us through the winter
kenthammer1984

Post by kenthammer1984 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:49 am What sort of tariff are you on? That seems an awfully big gap to appear, octopus have been pretty proactive with us.

our fixed ran out so went onto their variable, but its a lot cheaper than if we sign up for a fixed (martin lewis also said to just stay where you are and go onto what ever they put you on. i have check the numbers as well and it is the cheapest option to us currently).

our DD used to be £109, they then suggested it went up to £140 so put it up, and then they wanted £197 a month, so i upped it to £240 a month to try and get a bit of a buffer. but yeah, apparently if we stick to £240 a month it will be over £3k of debt by middle of next year.

The crystal ball mode estimates our December bill will be £528 and January it will be £830!! almost a grand for electric and gas in a month!
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

kenthammer1984 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:36 am if we continue to pay the £240 a month we are currently paying then we will be in over £3k's worth of debt by June 23 :cried:
Assume you are on the same Flexible tarriff KH? (edit - I see you are) Similar story here - paying £277 at the moment - up from usual £130. By the end of June '23 we'll be over 4k in the red. That will need £700 pm from now to break even.
kenthammer1984

Post by kenthammer1984 »

Loftyhammer wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:06 am I'd not heard of this Crystal Ball thing so just used it....recommends we don't take the full reduction but sit at just below what we're paying now to get us through the winter
Crystal ball mode shows we need to be paying £547 a month from now so we are at zero balance in June next year. Its mental!
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

kenthammer1984 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:09 am our fixed ran out so went onto their variable, but its a lot cheaper than if we sign up for a fixed (martin lewis also said to just stay where you are and go onto what ever they put you on. i have check the numbers as well and it is the cheapest option to us currently).

our DD used to be £109, they then suggested it went up to £140 so put it up, and then they wanted £197 a month, so i upped it to £240 a month to try and get a bit of a buffer. but yeah, apparently if we stick to £240 a month it will be over £3k of debt by middle of next year.

The crystal ball mode estimates our December bill will be £528 and January it will be £830!! almost a grand for electric and gas in a month!
Is this just via that automated service?

Different companies but e.on's automated changes/suggestions to my DD seem to be a lot higher than where I've ended up after a call with them last week.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1856 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I've just got the emails from SSE telling me of my DD increases. Gas is going up from £83 to £130 per month, electricity from £102 to £121 so overall it's going up from £185 per month to £251. This doesn't seem like the doomesday scenario I was expecting.
SammyLeeWasOffside

kenthammer1984 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:09 am our fixed ran out so went onto their variable, but its a lot cheaper than if we sign up for a fixed (martin lewis also said to just stay where you are and go onto what ever they put you on. i have check the numbers as well and it is the cheapest option to us currently).

That puts your energy bill at about 6k for the year, so more than double the average use numbers they use for the cap.
kenthammer1984

Post by kenthammer1984 »

Jonah wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:10 am Assume you are on the same Flexible tarriff KH? (edit - I see you are) Similar story here - paying £277 at the moment - up from usual £130. By the end of June '23 we'll be over 4k in the red. That will need £700 pm from now to break even.
thing is, where will it stop? its going to take £700 pm to break even by July next year. by which point the price will have increased again, and so it starts again - will need to be paying £800+ a month in July and August just so we are break even the year after.

having to pay that much money in the summer just seems illegal. our summer usage this year for gas was about £30 a month and electric was steady at about £70 a month. The thought of having to up this in june/july/august when it will be red hot again to £700+ a month is painful.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

quickly changed this for anyone who wants to use

just put your data in the blue bits (ie your actual usage) and it will fire out the actual cost of what you use a year

prices set at the gov cap

if you want to compare to a fix just fill in the blue bits for the fixed tariffs and you can see the differences
kenthammer1984

Post by kenthammer1984 »

mumbles87 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:25 am https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

quickly changed this for anyone who wants to use

just put your data in the blue bits (ie your actual usage) and it will fire out the actual cost of what you use a year

prices set at the gov cap

if you want to compare to a fix just fill in the blue bits for the fixed tariffs and you can see the differences
had to copy and paste it into excel as i don't have a google log in, but thanks for this. i have tweaked it a bit as my standing charge and unit prices are a little lower than in the file. I just need to find out what my yearly usage is now