The Energy Crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2651 likes
Total likes: 1196 likes

Re: The Energy Crisis

Post by EvilC »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:53 pm I know someone will put me right if I'm wrong but I don't think that this £150 is a 'rebate'. I think it's a loan that we get whether we want/ need it or not, and then have to pay back over the next few years. Personally, I wish they'd given us the choice to have it or not but can see that that might have over-complicated the logistics.
"Rebate."
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:57 pm That's different isn't it? We should be getting a council tax rebate around now and then £200 off bills in October, the latter being the totally not a loan loan.
I'm not sure now to be honest :crossed: but you're probably right. DTD has confused the heck out of me by mentioning the CT rebate on this thread. :)
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 308 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:57 pm That's different isn't it? We should be getting a council tax rebate around now and then £200 off bills in October, the latter being the totally not a loan loan.
This.

The £150 you don't pay back (except through higher council tax bills in the future of course). The £200 heating thing you do pay back with no way of not borrowing it
daytimedave
Has liked: 270 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by daytimedave »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:12 pm I'm not sure now to be honest :crossed: but you're probably right. DTD has confused the heck out of me by mentioning the CT rebate on this thread.
i think you might be right, i checked my bank statement and the district council have credited my account !
im confused now, i thought we was getting an energy bill rebate this month of £150 .
and some one has mentioned some money arriving in october now !
:chin:

just see this on the gov.uk site ......................................
"As part of its targeted response to rising energy bills, the government has introduced a £150 council tax rebate. This will mean that council tax costs will not rise for the majority of people, including those on the lowest incomes. This is alongside a £200 reduction in energy bills from this October."

sorry for the confusion on my part :oops:
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 886 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

How does the energy 'reduction' work? Is that a rebate loan to be paid back too?

I'm on a fixed rate, so surely there's no need for a loaned rebate as my costs wouldn't have changed?
SammyLeeWasOffside

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:56 pm How does the energy 'reduction' work? Is that a rebate loan to be paid back too?

I'm on a fixed rate, so surely there's no need for a loaned rebate as my costs wouldn't have changed?
Technically you don't repay the council tax one.

The energy thing you get £200 this year and then the next 5 years your bill will have £40 extra on it.

I'm like you, on a fixed rate. Assuming prices don't come tumbling down in the next couple of years the £40 would be far more use to me in the future than now.
chelmsfordhammer91

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:11 am Technically you don't repay the council tax one.

The energy thing you get £200 this year and then the next 5 years your bill will have £40 extra on it.

I'm like you, on a fixed rate. Assuming prices don't come tumbling down in the next couple of years the £40 would be far more use to me in the future than now.
Cheers mate, that makes a bit more sense.

So are those on fixed rates getting it because living costs in general have gone up? As energy wise it's static. I locked in September last year until September 24 so hopefully this blows over a bit by then!
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:45 am Cheers mate, that makes a bit more sense.

So are those on fixed rates getting it because living costs in general have gone up? As energy wise it's static. I locked in September last year until September 24 so hopefully this blows over a bit by then!
You are getting it because everyone gets it by default, I assume it is just easier for the government and the utilities to apply these broad brush approaches rather than adding a criteria which makes life more complicated.
SammyLeeWasOffside

EvilC wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:56 am You are getting it because everyone gets it by default, I assume it is just easier for the government and the utilities to apply these broad brush approaches rather than adding a criteria which makes life more complicated.
It shouldn't be too difficult to allow people to pay it back immediately should it? I get the broad brush paying it out but then at least let people pay it straight back if they want.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:16 am It shouldn't be too difficult to allow people to pay it back immediately should it? I get the broad brush paying it out but then at least let people pay it straight back if they want.
Utilities struggle to bill people accurately, good luck getting them to do this.

Also, in a high inflation environment, an interest free loan is quite good.
chelmsfordhammer91

EvilC wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:56 am You are getting it because everyone gets it by default, I assume it is just easier for the government and the utilities to apply these broad brush approaches rather than adding a criteria which makes life more complicated.
Fair enough, and most likely helps mitigate the inevitable c*ck up if any parameters were put in place and endless stories of people not getting it who should.

I keep my account with a float of credit anyway just in case so if it's all automatic I'll just ignore it.
SammyLeeWasOffside

EvilC wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:51 am Utilities struggle to bill people accurately, good luck getting them to do this.

Also, in a high inflation environment, an interest free loan is quite good.
There systems are advanced enough to add the credit but not to take it off? I hope there systems are up to taking the £40 for 5 years and the not taking it.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:23 am There systems are advanced enough to add the credit but not to take it off? I hope there systems are up to taking the £40 for 5 years and the not taking it.
They are bad at billing. That's all I can say.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

I seem to have the option to add money to my account with E.On whenever I want.

If someone didn't want the £200 off now then could they not just overpay by that amount to balance the future £40 increases?
SammyLeeWasOffside

EvilC wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:27 am They are bad at billing. That's all I can say.
I am aware lol.

Also it doesn't cost anything to do it this way. It's really a credit note for everyone, it's not money off your bill.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:41 am I seem to have the option to add money to my account with E.On whenever I want.

If someone didn't want the £200 off now then could they not just overpay by that amount to balance the future £40 increases?
The £40 will be added to your bill irrespective of your balance with the energy company. You can give them £200 now they will still take £40 extra for 5 years.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1593 likes

Post by alf git »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:23 am There systems are advanced enough to add the credit but not to take it off? I hope there systems are up to taking the £40 for 5 years and the not taking it.
I wouldn't be holding my breath.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 494 likes
Total likes: 1972 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

This petrol shortage stuff just got proper serious. There's now a major shortage of Black & White hair pomade. Can't get the good petroleum jelly stuff anywhere.

Tbh, I'm glad I can't drive anywhere, because who wants to drive somewhere and have sketchy hair when you get there?
southbrishammer
Has liked: 117 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:10 am This petrol shortage stuff just got proper serious. There's now a major shortage of Black & White hair pomade. Can't get the good petroleum jelly stuff anywhere.

Tbh, I'm glad I can't drive anywhere, because who wants to drive somewhere and have sketchy hair when you get there?
You are Vince Noir.....
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2011 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:16 am It shouldn't be too difficult to allow people to pay it back immediately should it? I get the broad brush paying it out but then at least let people pay it straight back if they want.
Or you could send it to those of us that will need it? :winker: