The Energy Crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Re: The Energy Crisis

Post by -DL- »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:27 am Yeah, like so many sheep. But it then becomes a self fuelfilling prophecy.
Corrected for you.

(It's very subtle, so you may miss it!).
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:55 am I believe Wylfa B has been given the go ahead after some delay - 10 years in the grand scheme of things is nothing .

Once set up Nuclear energy is cheap and clean [ apart from the obvious stuff ] - maybe Elon Musk will drop Twitter and go into the nuclear waste disposable industry - just fire off that waste into space .....easy peasy lemon squeezy ....where do I collect my consultation fee ?
Bloody hell ToMoS, first the lotto, then double glazing, now consultancy work. All on top of holiday let's and drilling for oil.

How do you do it?
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:55 am I believe Wylfa B has been given the go ahead after some delay - 10 years in the grand scheme of things is nothing .

Once set up Nuclear energy is cheap and clean [ apart from the obvious stuff ] - maybe Elon Musk will drop Twitter and go into the nuclear waste disposable industry - just fire off that waste into space .....easy peasy lemon squeezy ....where do I collect my consultation fee ?
10 years (and it isn't 10 years, it is 10 years from getting a spade in the ground, so I'd be shocked if it was done before 2035 - here is a recent article saying they they want to submit a business plan in a year https://www.thenational.wales/environme ... announced/) is everything in the grand scheme of things. You need capacity now - both from a climate perspective and from an energy supply perspective.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

EvilC wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:11 pm 10 years (and it isn't 10 years, it is 10 years from getting a spade in the ground, so I'd be shocked if it was done before 2035 - here is a recent article saying they they want to submit a business plan in a year https://www.thenational.wales/environme ... announced/) is everything in the grand scheme of things. You need capacity now - both from a climate perspective and from an energy supply perspective.

Boris will find a way ............he always does ......cut a few corners , get round the red tape , ignore or ban the Protesters .

Bob's yer Uncle and Myfanwy is your Aunt .
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Got this today - fixing still a bad idea? It is bonkers they can 'sell' that sort of increase as a good thing! I'm currently SVR

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^SSE?
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:52 pm ^^^SSE?
British Gas.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

It must be a standard form, mine from SSE looked the same.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:56 pm It must be a standard form, mine from SSE looked the same.
Did you bite or is holding the course still the idea here?
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Wolf - I'd take a look at what is available, there are now some fixes that make sense for people.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

wolf359 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:57 pm Did you bite or is holding the course still the idea here?
I went with the standard variable for now, coming off a two year fixed rate. Their best fixed deal was getting on for twice the current svr.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

EvilC wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:06 pm Wolf - I'd take a look at what is available, there are now some fixes that make sense for people.
The numbers are eye watering, I was paying £29 a month not long ago and the 'best deals' want over £180 now. It is going to be a cold winter, thinking of unplugging my extra monitors etc. (first world problem I know) . I've no idea how a lot of people will be able to pay. Ill be 'fine' but it is bonkers, along with £2 a litre petrol.... hard times incoming.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Mrs Sendo has just fixed ours with Eon at £202pm.

That seems to be cheap and I should apparently be delighted. It was only a couple of years ago I was paying £88 with bulb.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

sendô wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:37 pm Mrs Sendo has just fixed ours with Eon at £202pm.

That seems to be cheap and I should apparently be delighted. It was only a couple of years ago I was paying £88 with bulb.
That sounds pretty good. Have you had your boiler ripped out, or simply killed all of the rest of your family to keep your usage down?
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:11 pm I went with the standard variable for now, coming off a two year fixed rate. Their best fixed deal was getting on for twice the current svr.
Come October the standard variable will be more than the fixed offered no doubt and then won't be on offer
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 802 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

EvilC wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:37 am Doesn't everything depend on how quickly the green revolution takes place?
So for my sins I spent this evening at a round table of heads of Environmental, Social, Governance that we had organised. It doesn't get much more rock n roll than that kids!

Anyway as this was Chatham House rules I need to be careful but one delegate spends an awful lot of time with government and the civil service.

The "green revolution" is apparently two fold. Firstly get our own house in order, but secondly become a world leaders in ESG with exportable skills.

Now before you cynics jump on me and tell me this is Boris rhetoric, the truth of the matter is policy is being defined and executed further down the food chain and as a country we are making great strides in actually creating a skills base that can then be marketted around the world.

Take it or leave it, but the source was as apolotical as they come, had no agenda and works for an organisation that is rabid in its independence.

I thought it was incredibly interesting that behind the facade of Cop26 and the Paris Accord there is some serious strategic thinking.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

EvilC wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:52 pm That sounds pretty good. Have you had your boiler ripped out, or simply killed all of the rest of your family to keep your usage down?
:D To be fair, my home is pretty energy efficient so we were barely using the boiler over the winter anyway. We'd have the heating on for an our or so in the morning and the house would stay warm. In the evening we were using a convection heater for short blasts to warm the living room up rather than heat the entire house.

The hot water is set to only heat up twice a day for an hour at a time, so the boiler is not constantly trying to top it up.

I'm lucky that Mrs Sendo is the complete opposite of most women in that she'll barely have the heating on.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

RichieRiv wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:35 pm
I thought it was incredibly interesting that behind the facade of Cop26 and the Paris Accord there is some serious strategic thinking.
There needs to be Rich.

My own opinion is it's too late, and that mankind is doomed. The planet will survive and regenerate eventually but we've done ourselves.

If we get out of this hole it will be a miracle.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 802 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:32 pm There needs to be Rich.

My own opinion is it's too late, and that mankind is doomed. The planet will survive and regenerate eventually but we've done ourselves.

If we get out of this hole it will be a miracle.
I mean commercially not actually trying to fix the planet. The plan is to make Britain a centre of excellence for climate change and then export that talent and experience. Think F1.

As for being doomed? I will be dead, but in 1988 we were going to burn alive due to the ozone layer and leaded petrol had causes us to riot.
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2019 likes

Post by Shabu »

Spoke to my mum today. She said it now costs 100 quid to fill up a car full of petrol. Is that right for an average motor?