The Energy Crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Re: The Energy Crisis

Post by EvilC »

-DL- wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:02 pm I'm confused, as BBC and The Guardian are running with a profit of £6.25 Billion, yet Sky and business media are running with over £20 billion loss - so which one is it?

Genuine question.
It is a loss based on the write down in Russia. However this all depends on whether you are including exceptional items, and also what profit line you are using - net profit, operating profit etc. The $6.25 is a better reflection of operating performance.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

They've made a hefty first quarter profit, but are including the hit they've taken by backing out of Rosneft as a "loss".

Of course there's no mention of past profits made in Russia offsetting the previous investment and so on.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Well my modest 4.5kw solar set up has been working since Monday at 15:00

Monday produced 4kw after 15:00
Tuesday 10kw
Weds 11kw
Today 15kw and it's not even 13:00 (ended up 24.5)

Definitely glad the battery will arrive later in year as I'm wasting a lot of electric ATM sending back to grid (4p they will give you once it's all signed up but 4p a kw when you buy for 14 for me ATM but 30 next year? Silly to waste it)

I've set up the car to charge at 6amp using the 3pin charger (it's variable the one I got) and I've topped up car from 80-100% just using the excess solar rather than waste it

Obviously winter is going to be different but I reckon I could still self manage the house for solar and cheap times only

Doesnt look nearly as bad as my wife thought either .. as we went for all black panels on front (10w per panel less efficient so nothing)

Battery isn't here yet (still being made) but all the wiring is complete ready

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

^^ that last picture, you need to get them back to sort out that cabling. Shocking having those cables unsecured.

Also, is it really a good idea to have that Tesla pack next to your water main (If that is what that is)?
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:39 am ^^ that last picture, you need to get them back to sort out that cabling. Shocking having those cables unsecured.

Also, is it really a good idea to have that Tesla pack next to your water main (If that is what that is)?
Believe it or not there's not legislation covering minimum distances between electric and water.
If that's a gas pipe it breaches BS6891:2015
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:39 am ^^ that last picture, you need to get them back to sort out that cabling. Shocking having those cables unsecured.

Gateway is waterproof,

What wiring? The earth? That's not their work that's the loft
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

mumbles87 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:56 am Gateway is waterproof,

What wiring? The earth? That's not their work that's the loft
Yeah, the earth and other cables.

Still not too impressed with the location of the ATS, surrounded on three sides with water pipes :shock:

But loving the red carpet. :winker:

Mate, joke is gonna be on me, next year your bills are gonna be diddly, whereas I'll probably have to remortgage the house to pay for lights, power and fuel to drive around. :newthumb:

Edit, also noticed you have some deadlegs, might want to have those looked at.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:56 am Yeah, the earth and other cables.

Still not too impressed with the location of the ATS, surrounded on three sides with water pipes :shock:

But loving the red carpet. :winker:

Mate, joke is gonna be on me, next year your bills are gonna be diddly, whereas I'll probably have to remortgage the house to pay for lights, power and fuel to drive around. :newthumb:

Edit, also noticed you have some deadlegs, might want to have those looked at.
Sorry been on the course, where and what are dead legs? I'm struggling to see em lol
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

mumbles87 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:26 pm Sorry been on the course, where and what are dead legs? I'm struggling to see em lol
You have some copper pipes top r/h side of the bottom most pic. If these are live water pipes they can breed Legionella (basically water stagnates in the dead-ends / dead-leg).

Ball ache, but if its possible to trace the pipes back to part that has constant water flow, you remove it and the risk of Legionella is reduced. Especially if you are looking at running ASHP, or similar, as the water temp won't get upto 60'c.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:40 pm You have some copper pipes top r/h side of the bottom most pic. If these are live water pipes they can breed Legionella (basically water stagnates in the dead-ends / dead-leg).

Ball ache, but if its possible to trace the pipes back to part that has constant water flow, you remove it and the risk of Legionella is reduced. Especially if you are looking at running ASHP, or similar, as the water temp won't get upto 60'c.
I wouldn't like to guess but I don't think these pipes are live.. unless they are the central heating

Because the pipes that go upstairs are in the wall...I know this because I drilled through them lol
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:56 am

On this one I do like being in control of my costs as much as I can, when we voted brexit through I put the mortgage on a 10 year fix as interest rates were record low I figured can only go one way

People thought it was mental as I paid a little over odds but now their paying more and I got 7 year fix left I think

Same with the energy project, it looked like My electric would flat out double (£110-220) with just the rises .. it was £155 a month to do this project (10 year mortgage 10 year fix back in January so before the rates went crazy)

Ofc it's all going up and up now. Even without the battery for a few months my bill will drop to £60 roughly electric .. gas will make up the rise but can't control that yet

Once battery is in it should cost £1-1.50 a day to run the house and then I have to decide if to self manage or go on the telsa plan which is 11p a kw .. ATM might work out cheaper to self manage by 1-2p a unit but more faff
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

Anyone got their £150 rebate back yet?
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

delbert wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:38 pm Anyone got their £150 rebate back yet?
Yeah, got a letter from the council (Wigan) had to apply online, was paid in next day. This was last week. My sister in Notlob got hers paid automatically (not sure why I had to apply, a Wigan thing? who knows)
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

wolf359 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:49 pm Yeah, got a letter from the council (Wigan) had to apply online, was paid in next day. This was last week. My sister in Notlob got hers paid automatically (not sure why I had to apply, a Wigan thing? who knows)
Do you pay by direct debit
Greatest Hits Vol1
Has liked: 438 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Greatest Hits Vol1 »

Got mine automatically deposited in my account by Camden.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Just found this from Havering (had to look hadn't seen)

Getting the £150 payment for direct debit payers
Over 49,000 residents who pay their Council Tax by Direct Debit should receive their £150 Rebate in their bank account on Thursday 19 May 2022.

If you pay by Direct Debit and do not receive your payment by Friday 20 May 2022, this may be because your bank details are different from your Council Tax details.

Please be patient as we will review all of these accounts and contact you direct.

We will continue to make payments over the coming weeks to residents who have recently provided their bank details by Direct Debit.

The payment will be credited to your bank account if you set up a Direct Debit now.

The payment will be made to the bank account from which the Direct Debit is taken.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

mumbles87 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:52 pm Do you pay by direct debit
I do. Mine went in on the 13th.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Re general energy market stuff - gas storage continues to fill on the continent. For maximum impact, Putin really needs to be cutting off gas supply fairly soon to have maximal impact.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

EvilC wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:27 am Re general energy market stuff - gas storage continues to fill on the continent. For maximum impact, Putin really needs to be cutting off gas supply fairly soon to have maximal impact.
I've just been reading this article, there's loads of gas and electricity for rock bottom prices available in this country right now, but NOBODY will see a reduction in their fuel bills ...

https://news.sky.com/story/the-surreal- ... t-12614797
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:50 am I've just been reading this article, there's loads of gas and electricity for rock bottom prices available in this country right now, but NOBODY will see a reduction in their fuel bills ...

https://news.sky.com/story/the-surreal- ... t-12614797
An app I have which shows price ahead that octupus will charge if I was on agile .. it's time based

It used to be decent ie times to avoid at 25p etc times to use 5p or even pay you it for months has been 35p all time

It's starting to go to 15p at random points

Better weather for the solar farms