The Energy Crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Re: The Energy Crisis

Post by delbert »

sendô wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:38 pm Running electrical cables at transmission voltages underground is astronomically expensive, which is why everything is on overhead pylons. The networks underground are typically 11,000V or 33,000V. You can install this underground in relatively small single or multi core cables.

Transmission is typically 132,000V, 275,000V or 400,000V. I've seen what a 400,000V insulated cable looks like, even a single core is ****ing huge and astronomically expensive. If large sections of national grid are installed like this, energy prices will only rise.
:thup:

I still think it's a shame. It not only ruins the landscape but it's an opportunity missed to fry some thieving do as you likeys.....
OFT
Has liked: 3242 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

Samba wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:13 pm Nadhim Zahawi, also on holiday at the moment, but still hard at work apparently..
Clearly keen to make a good impression on his soon to be new boss, he was seen writing big numbers down in the sand with one hand while holding an ice cream in the other. :arry:
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

delbert wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:28 pm :thup:

I still think it's a shame. It not only ruins the landscape but it's an opportunity missed to fry some thieving do as you likeys.....
TBF, there have been several attempts to change the profiles of pylons. Trying to make them less obtrusive. But due to the required engineering difficult to do.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Charities warn people against not paying
People are being warned of the consequences of not paying their energy bills, as a campaign to refuse payment gathers supporters.

The Don't Pay group, which is demanding a reduction of bills to an affordable level, says more than 80,000 people have pledged to cancel their direct debit payments from 1 October.

This is the date the price cap - the maximum amount suppliers can charge customers in England, Scotland and Wales for each unit of energy - increases.

If you don't agree a payment plan with your supplier, they might try to force you to have a pre-payment meter installed.

In very rare cases, if you haven't paid a bill after 28 days, you might be threatened with disconnection of your supply but you'll normally be offered a meter instead.

Your supplier must give you a chance to pay your debt through a plan first.

If you've reached State Pension age, your supplier can't disconnect you between 1 October and 31 March if either, you live alone or you only live with other people who have reached State Pension age, or children under 18 years old.

Your supplier could also pass your details to a debt collection agency - and there could be charges to cover the cost of this - according to debt charity StepChange.

Many suppliers also charge extra fees for late payments, so this could be another additional cost.

Paying by direct debit is normally the cheapest way to pay for electricity and gas, so if you cancel your direct debit, your bills will likely be higher.

Finally, not paying bills could damage your credit rating and make it harder to borrow money in the future.

more...
simon hammer
Has liked: 994 likes
Total likes: 748 likes

Post by simon hammer »

^

The words 'might' and 'coould' are doing a lot of work in that article JBB.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Indeed they are, but I feel it's right for them to point out the possible consequences of simply not paying. Every sanction they mentioned is is permitted and has happened. Cancelling your direct debit isn't just a Wolfie Smith 'power to the people' gesture, it can and will have consequences.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:21 pm Indeed they are, but I feel it's right for them to point out the possible consequences of simply not paying. Every sanction they mentioned is is permitted and has happened. Cancelling your direct debit isn't just a Wolfie Smith 'power to the people' gesture, it can and will have consequences.
:newthumb:

You just know that those least able to pay will receive the worst sanctions, things like ccjs, poor credit ratings and additional charges brought on by the debts being passed on to bailiffs and the like.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 564 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

The reality is for many its 'Can't pay' not 'Won't pay'. The money is simply not in their bank accounts to meet the massively increased DD's, and the only way to keep even minor control and avoid punitive bank charges is to cancel and pay what they can manually.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Junco Partner wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:15 pm The reality is for many its 'Can't pay' not 'Won't pay'. The money is simply not in their bank accounts to meet the massively increased DD's, and the only way to keep even minor control and avoid punitive bank charges is to cancel and pay what they can manually.
Or talk to the power company and see what they can can agree on.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 564 likes
Total likes: 921 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Yes, that should be their first move, and in a utopian state the energy co's will be sympathetic & reasonable with their response.....but their record means I've major doubts they will unless compelled to do so.
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

Junco Partner wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:15 pm The reality is for many its 'Can't pay' not 'Won't pay'. The money is simply not in their bank accounts to meet the massively increased DD's, and the only way to keep even minor control and avoid punitive bank charges is to cancel and pay what they can manually.
On the run up to Christmas many moons ago we were scrabbling around to pay for the kids presents whilst we was around £400 in credit with one of the main suppliers of the day (Powergen?). The trouble I had getting my money back off of them was unbelievable*, so much so that once I had I changed supplier and opted for pay as you go. I know they charge a bit more and it's a pain in the arse when you go away on holiday but it means no more massive bills or them taking the piss with the direct debits, it's also far better than a smart meter when it comes to conserving a bit of energy.

* You'll be relieved to hear that I got the money just in time, so the kids got their walnuts and tangerines......
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

My eldest and her bloke are just moving into a new flat and ain't got a clue about sorting out their energy supplier. I've got to go and take a look at the meter etc tonight.

Any tips? The price comparison sites are hopeless at the moment.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

delbert wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:39 pm On the run up to Christmas many moons ago we were scrabbling around to pay for the kids presents whilst we was around £400 in credit with one of the main suppliers of the day (Powergen?). The trouble I had getting my money back off of them was unbelievable*, so much so that once I had I changed supplier and opted for pay as you go. I know they charge a bit more and it's a pain in the arse when you go away on holiday but it means no more massive bills or them taking the piss with the direct debits, it's also far better than a smart meter when it comes to conserving a bit of energy.

* You'll be relieved to hear that I got the money just in time, so the kids got their walnuts and tangerines......
They were lucky... all we got was a piece of coal & a clip round t'ear...
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

smuts wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:11 pm My eldest and her bloke are just moving into a new flat and ain't got a clue about sorting out their energy supplier. I've got to go and take a look at the meter etc tonight.

I suspect you'll end up on the price cap with the existing supplier.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Got no idea who that was, etc. Will have to do some digging around.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

smuts wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:32 pm Got no idea who that was, etc. Will have to do some digging around.
The seller should tell you this.

If not, get the MPAN and I think you can run it through an OFGEM tool on their website.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Cheers EvilC.

Used to do MPAN checks at work so will take a look tonight. Thanks!
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Junco Partner wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:15 pm The reality is for many its 'Can't pay' not 'Won't pay'.
I was going to post similar Juncs.

I saw a survey that said 62% are worried about paying the new bills. However 15% said they won't be able to pay them, whether they want to or not. We're heading into un-chartered waters territory if one in every six or seven of us are unable to pay out gas and leccie.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1604 likes

Post by alf git »

simon hammer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:18 am ^

The words 'might' and 'coould' are doing a lot of work in that article JBB.
Try replacing them with will, because that is the reality for people flat out refusing to pay energy bills.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1604 likes

Post by alf git »

smuts wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:11 pm My eldest and her bloke are just moving into a new flat and ain't got a clue about sorting out their energy supplier. I've got to go and take a look at the meter etc tonight.

You'll be lucky to get any kind of deal that doesn't involve smart meters.
I think you can find out about electric suppliers from your local DNO as well..