The Energy Crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 285 likes
Total likes: 996 likes

Re: The Energy Crisis

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Tenbury wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:10 pm ..... and we're pretty much obliged to keep buying......
You don't have to use gas or electric if you don't want to
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2635 likes
Total likes: 1176 likes

Post by EvilC »

Tenbury wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:10 pm ..... and we're pretty much obliged to keep buying......
You’re obliged to keep buying food, Tesco doesn’t have to sell it to you if you don’t pay.
Tenbury
Has liked: 719 likes
Total likes: 1190 likes

Post by Tenbury »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:29 pm You don't have to use gas or electric if you don't want to
Eh?
SammyLeeWasOffside

Tenbury wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:59 pmEh?
You aren't obliged to keep buying
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

True.
Dying of hyperthermia is always an option.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Tenbury wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:42 pm True.
Dying of hyperthermia is always an option.
You think it should be provided free of charge?

There are alternative fuels, alternative energy sources, alternative heating, lighting and cooking systems. You could go off grid.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

I thought that the idea of people living in mud huts up north was a thing of the past, Sammy. I was under the impression you had Channel 5, dial up internet and everything. How wrong I was.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1780 likes
Total likes: 2058 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:15 pm You think it should be provided free of charge?

There are alternative fuels, alternative energy sources, alternative heating, lighting and cooking systems. You could go off grid.
I'm just waiting for some loon to say heating should be prescribed on the NHS

In a tower block?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2425 likes
Total likes: 4251 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:33 pm I'm just waiting for some loon to say heating should be prescribed on the NHS

In a tower block?
Is that with a wind farm on the roof?
SammyLeeWasOffside

EvilC wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:17 pm I thought that the idea of people living in mud huts up north was a thing of the past, Sammy. I was under the impression you had Channel 5, dial up internet and everything. How wrong I was.
If channeling my inner mumbles.

Hate the status quo do something to change. Nobody is saying it's easy but if so wine is really bothered about being forced to buy energy there are things they can do.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Johnny Byrne's Boots

^^^^Good luck to her. I'd be investing in a carbon monoxide monitor as a matter of urgency if I were her.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:43 pm If channeling my inner mumbles.

Hate the status quo do something to change. Nobody is saying it's easy but if so wine is really bothered about being forced to buy energy there are things they can do.
lol

There are limits to what people can do. Beyond those, the quality of life of those that probably already don’t have great lives suffers.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:15 pm :vs:
You think it should be provided free of charge?
Who said anything about free of charge? I would have thought you realised that when you're on a low income, you're frequently only a mishap (cooker/car/break in/etc) away from an unforseen debt, and then you end up paying the most pressing bills first, it's just the way it is. I'm sure some people just won't pay, so take them to court like anyone else would.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Tenbury wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:19 pm Who said anything about free of charge? I would have thought you realised that when you're on a low income, you're frequently only a mishap (cooker/car/break in/etc) away from an unforseen debt, and then you end up paying the most pressing bills first, it's just the way it is. I'm sure some people just won't pay, so take them to court like anyone else would.
Meanwhile you're legally obliged to continue providing them with energy, which you know they won't pay for.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Tenbury wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:19 pm Who said anything about free of charge? I would have thought you realised that when you're on a low income, you're frequently only a mishap (cooker/car/break in/etc) away from an unforseen debt, and then you end up paying the most pressing bills first, it's just the way it is. I'm sure some people just won't pay, so take them to court like anyone else would.
You seemed to think the being obliged to keep buying was wrong, I may have misunderstood this. You aren't obliged to keep buying however if you keep using then you are obliged to pay.

I'm trying to get my head round not being made to keep buying but not losing use if that doesn't mean getting it for free.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:24 pm Meanwhile you're legally obliged to continue providing them with energy, which you know they won't pay for.
Well if they don't adhere to any court order, ultimately they'll be jailed(and still have to pay), it's the way the civil law works for every other kind of company. Perhaps someone could give an example of a utility company that's gone broke as a result of bad debt.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

^^^One big difference to every other company is they're not legally obliged to continue supplying their goods and services to non payers while having to rely on expensive and lengthy legal action to attempt to recover what they're owed.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Meanwhile, on the other side of the coin

Courts waved through warrants for prepayment meter fitting
Courts waved through applications by energy firms to forcibly install prepayment meters in people's homes, according to internal advice from a top magistrate leaked to the BBC.

Previous guidelines required careful scrutiny of warrant applications, but new advice to courts deems those rules "disproportionate".

Energy firms can apply for warrants when bills go unpaid for a long period.

But suppliers were told to stop force-fitting meters earlier this week.

The energy regulator Ofgem told energy companies not to forcibly install the meters following a report from The Times showing debt agents had broken into vulnerable people's homes.

But in recent days warrants are still being issued. Privately industry voices are concerned that having ruled out disconnecting customers, and pausing prepayment meters, there is now a "charter for non-payers".

The new advice for magistrates was posted within the last month on an internal website for magistrates, by the National Leadership Magistrate Duncan Webster.

In an internal FAQ post for magistrates, Mr Webster told magistrates the "advice given to justices has not kept up with changes in the way utility companies operate". As the remedy sought by energy companies for unpaid bills is no longer disconnection, but installation of a prepayment meter, "checks magistrates have been asked to make are now disproportionate and go far beyond the legal requirements".

more...
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1294 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:29 pm You don't have to use gas or electric if you don't want to
Jeez Sam.