The Energy Crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4958 likes

Re: The Energy Crisis

Post by -DL- »

An Essar filling station just outside Porthmadog has diesel at 149.9p.

Not seen it as cheap as that since January 2022.

That is Essar and not Esso btw - the Esso a little further down the road was 153.9p.

Everywhere else I've seen, has still been around the 157.9p mark and above. Still some robbing bastards charging 167.9p.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2108 likes
Total likes: 1335 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

-DL- wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:39 pm An Essar filling station just outside Porthmadog has diesel at 149.9p.

That is Essar and not Esso btw - the Esso a little further down the road was 153.9p.

Everywhere else I've seen, has still been around the 157.9p mark and above. Still some robbing bastards charging 167.9p.
1.52 in Yeovil which is 5p cheaper than a couple of weeks ago.

Yeovil is probably cheapest south somerset/dorset
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 285 likes
Total likes: 996 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

It's been 141.9 up here for a while. Some places have started creeping up to 147. We have 3 Morrisons pretty close they are all different prices lol.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:04 pm It's been 141.9 up here for a while. Some places have started creeping up to 147. We have 3 Morrisons pretty close they are all different prices lol.
Diesel or petrol is that for?
SammyLeeWasOffside

Petrol
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1975 likes
Total likes: 1464 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Better late than never.

Wholesale prices have been falling for months.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1703 likes

Post by wolf359 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:04 pm It's been 141.9 up here for a while. Some places have started creeping up to 147. We have 3 Morrisons pretty close they are all different prices lol.
Often well into the 130’s in the Bolton/Wigan area (136.9 cheapest I’ve seen) . However there are some massive local differences 10p a litre not uncommon from stations half mile apart.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2633 likes
Total likes: 1176 likes

Post by EvilC »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:04 pm Better late than never.

Wholesale prices have been falling for months.
So have retail prices.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 343 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

wolf359 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:47 am Often well into the 130’s in the Bolton/Wigan area (136.9 cheapest I’ve seen) . However there are some massive local differences 10p a litre not uncommon from stations half mile apart.
We have 10p difference around here, within a mile of each other, funny old game this profiteering.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2594 likes
Total likes: 1729 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Hammer Matty wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:04 pm One thing that’s not mentioned when they’re sold, and a lot of installers don’t repair them as they are literally trained to throw them in, is that in ultra cold weather like we had this winter at times, the unit has a defrost mode and switches between heating the home to heating the unit below about 5 degrees

One customer of mine said the unit spent more time defrosting itself than heating the home so went out and bought a load of electric heaters for the cold weeks
Would have been cheaper to wrap the unit in an electric blanket .

That or a blow torch .
SammyLeeWasOffside

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:02 pm What sort of savings we talking generally though?
None of this saves you money. I doubt any of the moves to cleaner energy ever will.

The idea is to get away from gas and oil and on to electricity. This also needs massive investment to create enough alternative ways of generating electricity which will have to be paid for.

To individually start saving on your bill through cleaner energy would require a huge outlay. Insulation, heat pump, solar panels, battery, glazing, air circulation system etc etc.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 466 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:40 am Would have been cheaper to wrap the unit in an electric blanket .

That or a blow torch .
Great.

One you end up electrocuting yourself, the other blowing up or setting light to the house.

I suppose it could be classed as reducing your carbon footprint in one way, or another. :chin:
The Old Man of Storr

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:21 am Great.

One you end up electrocuting yourself, the other blowing up or setting light to the house.

I suppose it could be classed as reducing your carbon footprint in one way, or another. :chin:

There's risks to everything ......you could get knocked over by a bus or eaten by a man-eating tiger , a bear might get you .
Got to think of the positives .
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:39 pm you could get knocked over by a bus
Poor buses get the blame for everything...

Why is it never a lorry?

You should know better ToMoS, as a Welshman such as yourself, it's the vehicular equivalent of "an area the size of Wales"....
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1887 likes
Total likes: 1599 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-65246488

Joe Biden's blink and you'll miss it visit to Northern Ireland

And the president will be in Northern Ireland for only around 15 hours, for around half of which he'll be in bed.

After that, Joe Biden's much talked about Irish heritage will draw him to the Republic.

yet another needless waste of energy. the trip not specifically Biden, although....

and I'm guessing that in another week or so, I'll be told that all my however small my efforts are to conserve energy, just won't be enough and I need to do more. and no doubt some music or movie star will fly somewhere to tell me exactly the same thing.

I wonder how much fuel was used by the President and his entourage for this trip ? way, too much imvho.

and Sunak went as well. did he go by train and ferry ? I very much doubt it.....

There has been a smidgen of tension between the White House and Downing Street about the timetabling of the leaders' itineraries which probably hasn't helped.

It would have been odd if President Biden had come here and not been met by the prime minister.

But we won't see very much of them together beyond a handshake at the airport and a meeting on Wednesday morning.

I'm seriously pissed off by this type of thing. it really does get my piss boiling.....

:swear:
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 933 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Wife and kids been away since Monday

I've been nights but getting up and painting all the bits of the wall with food and toothpaste or drawing on the little loves leave behind (must tell the wife to stop that)

But means absolutely no heating been used, normally
19 degree in living room with just a small bit used in morning

I been running the air con in day using the excess solar in dehumidifier mode to help dry the paint ...

Living room is 15 degree lol 🤣

I've set it up to wack them all on in the cheap hours in heating overnight then a small bit of heating to greet them so the house is warm again lol

Weird the dishwasher has been on once.. rather than 1-2 times a day, the washing machine I scrapped 2 washes together as I played a round of golf and all the paint gear .. makes a change from 2 times a day

Life's so much easier lol 😆
The Old Man of Storr

-DL- wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:39 pm An Essar filling station just outside Porthmadog has diesel at 149.9p.

They usually charge people with English accents £1.70 a litre but I phoned on ahead to tell them you were a mate .
The Old Man of Storr

-DL- wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:55 pm Poor buses get the blame for everything...

Why is it never a lorry?

Good point -

Especially as most can't see past their giant Yorkie Bars .
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 933 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Well the whole sale must be really dropping ..

But this is why I love octopus they just do things the right way

Hi

Thank you for helping us create a smarter, cheaper electricity system.

As a collective, Octopus EV drivers are now the UK’s largest virtual power plant, balancing the grid with enough combined battery storage to power Leicester for an hour – and every smart tariff customer helps make the most of cheap green electrons when they’re abundant.

From tonight, your Go prices are dropping.

You don’t need to do anything; your new rates kick in from 00:30 on Friday 21st April.

We’re cutting your overnight price by 21% down to 9.5p / kWh (incl. VAT).

Your day price is dropping to 41.65 p / kWh (incl. VAT) – a 7% price cut on average.

For reference the night rate was 12p , considering 95% of my energy is at the night rate I'm delighted
Loftyhammer
Has liked: 2172 likes
Total likes: 168 likes

Post by Loftyhammer »

I can't find it now, but I swear I saw a vide on Twitter earlier from a Martin Lewis interview that suggests the energy cap will fall again by a decent chunk soon. Did anyone else see that, or was I dreaming?? :rofl: