The Energy Crisis

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Re: The Energy Crisis

Post by delbert »

The last two posts sum up the conundrum of pain that is living with someone in this condition.........
North Devon Hammer 2
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by North Devon Hammer 2 »

I was woken up this morning by the unmistakable thudding of hot water going through the pipes and radiators. At first I thought I was having a horrible nightmare but then realised that my Hive thermostat is set to 16 degrees. Shot out of bed grabbed the phone and turned it down to 15.
Wife (10 years and counting of menopausal oddity) is still asleep. If she knows the heating came there will be no going back. God help me....
Essexmaniac
Has liked: 124 likes
Total likes: 144 likes

Post by Essexmaniac »

We can all joke about our other halves and turning down the temperature. It sounds simplistic to say we can all use less energy too. Yes we can all make savings, or can we?
The elderly and those with medical conditions can't unless they want to make themselves miserable, I'll or worse. Some need power to operate medical appliances for instance.
With the many warm rooms that will be set up by local authorities, how many instances will there be of those buildings using more energy than normal, staying open longer or turning up the heat?

In some countries lights gave already been going off earlier, laws applied to the use of air- con and sealing in energy by closing doors etc. That's a joined up effort to save energy. No sign of that here.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Any powered advertising should be switched off.

Fingers crossed we realise we can live without all that digital street clutter and a permanent ban follows.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Essexmaniac wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:57 am In some countries lights gave already been going off earlier, laws applied to the use of air- con and sealing in energy by closing doors etc. That's a joined up effort to save energy. No sign of that here.
Yeah only leading the way, not waiting for a crisis. This from 2018
The United Kingdom is pursuing a similar strategy for street lighting cost reduction. Today, 85% of public street lighting is either dimmed or turned off. Almost 600,000 lights are turned off at night throughout the entire United Kingdom, another 1.5 million lights are dimmed. At least 137 boroughs have dimmed or turned lights off altogether, with around a third of the six million lights running at reduced brightness.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2626 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Essexmaniac wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:57 am We can all joke about our other halves and turning down the temperature. It sounds simplistic to say we can all use less energy too. Yes we can all make savings, or can we?
The elderly and those with medical conditions can't unless they want to make themselves miserable, I'll or worse. Some need power to operate medical appliances for instance.
With the many warm rooms that will be set up by local authorities, how many instances will there be of those buildings using more energy than normal, staying open longer or turning up the heat?

In some countries lights gave already been going off earlier, laws applied to the use of air- con and sealing in energy by closing doors etc. That's a joined up effort to save energy. No sign of that here.
Can absolutely everyone use less? Probably not. But most can do something. Turn down the radiator a bit. Especially in rooms you don’t use. Put the heating on a little earlier or later. And if you can’t, you can’t.

Re warm rooms, it’ll take less energy to heat one large room with ten families than it will to heat ten living rooms.

I agree regrading a joined up effort. It is something we have to do better on.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:36 am Yeah only leading the way, not waiting for a crisis. This from 2018
In fairness, if its possible to dim the lights without any adverse effect, doesn't that mean that they've been too bright for ages before?
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

EvilC wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:53 am It is far too early to start sucking each other’s dicks…
Such a shame.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Arnold Layne wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:36 am Such a shame.
My wife was delighted when she found out.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:29 am In fairness, if its possible to dim the lights without any adverse effect, doesn't that mean that they've been too bright for ages before?
I'd guess so.

The point was to counter the every other country is great, we aren't doing anything. Lots of the stuff being lauded elsewhere we already did. It seems a bit harsh criticising govts for not taking action now because they already took it years ago.

That doesn't mean there isn't other stuff we could do (insulation, tidal, solar, nuclear) but it would mean finding money. Do you let people take the hit now and use the 100bn to cut future bills or bailout now and then bailout again later? There is an election in 2 years, in 20 years someone else will get the credit for your planning.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:00 am The point was to counter the every other country is great, we aren't doing anything. Lots of the stuff being lauded elsewhere we already did. It seems a bit harsh criticising govts for not taking action now because they already took it years ago.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ights.html

That's the Mail of all papers saying that the lights were dimmed as councils were "cash- strapped" not as part of some government plan to save the energy / the planet. The government action here was to not give councils enough money, and not a conscious decision to not give councils enough money so that they had to take environmentally friendly actions like dimming street lights.

The likes of EvilC has this whole thing regarding saving as much energy as we can spot on so I'm not against dimming street lights by the way, albeit as can be seen from the article the likes of the AA considered that it would have consequences and dangerous ones at that.
SammyLeeWasOffside

The daily mail seem to be arguing against a council tax rise and saying councils have cash reserves in their billions. The lib Dems seem to be saying it's about funding. Although that doesn't explain the extra money for led lights.

Whatever the reason it's what people were calling for us to copy from abroad and we already do it.

I have a feeling the only way to change behaviour on something as fundamental as energy use is to use a financial cost.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Octopus want to lower my DD by 67 to cover the money from gov

No thanks back up that goes .. that will help spread the cost out to go towards next winter now.

Solar company called battery is in their stock room install first week October .. just in time for the solar to ramp down for the winter

Will help stabilise the energy bill at the same I've been paying for 18 months now for another year at least
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

mumbles87 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:35 am Octopus want to lower my DD by 67 to cover the money from gov

No thanks back up that goes .. that will help spread the cost out to go towards next winter now.

Solar company called battery is in their stock room install first week October .. just in time for the solar to ramp down for the winter

Will help stabilise the energy bill at the same I've been paying for 18 months now for another year at least
For us, the 67 quid or whatever gets paid directly to our bank account by the supplier (EDF), which is what they are doing for all DD customers.
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 123 likes
Total likes: 189 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

I think then cash for LED lighting has been found by austerity affected local councils because it will save money in the long run. Spend now, save later.
I really don't think we are doing what some other countries are in terms of saving energy. Okay some street lights are going off earlier but is lighting on public buildings being switched off? Have rules been implemented making it compulsory to do certain things to save energy like in some countries? No.
Not sure how creating warm rooms this winter, eg libraries staying open, will save councils money, quite the opposite.
Last edited by Cornelius Beal on Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

Cornelius Beal wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:17 pm I think then cash for LED lighting has been found by austerity affected local councils because it will save money in the long run. Spend now, save later.
I really don't think we are doing what some other countries are in termns of saving energy. Okay some street lights are going off earlier but is lighting on public buildings being swithced off? Have rules been implemted making it compulsory to do certain things to save energy like in some countries? No.
Not sure how creating warm rooms this winter, eg libraries staying open, will save councils money, quite the opposite.
One of my firm's offices has been completely empty since the first lockdown (a couple of weeks before really). They ended the lease on it last year and it's unoccupied but the lights have been on the whole time, day or night. Such a waste.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:29 am In fairness, if its possible to dim the lights without any adverse effect, doesn't that mean that they've been too bright for ages before?
Pretty much,

Recently (last few years or so) LA's and the highway(s?) agency have been moving over to better use of LED technologies.

Some of the stuff is quite clever, things like radio controlled column tops, dusk to dawn dimming and something that is called a security setting, whereby the light dims to 10% of its operational output, then when a sensor identifies someone/thing nearing, it ramps up the output to the required levels.

EDIT: that last feature was something that I was introducing across all the estates I worked on.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 939 likes
Total likes: 479 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Cornelius Beal wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:17 pm I think then cash for LED lighting has been found by austerity affected local councils because it will save money in the long run. Spend now, save later.
I really don't think we are doing what some other countries are in terms of saving energy. Okay some street lights are going off earlier but is lighting on public buildings being switched off? Have rules been implemented making it compulsory to do certain things to save energy like in some countries? No.
Approved document L ?

More likely a case that many organisations can't quite fund the required retrospective costs to introduce systems which meet the build reg. However, and IIRC when refurbishment, etc works are carried out, then thus has to be considered and implemented.
EvilC

Post by EvilC »

Current gas outlook for this winter isn't that bad.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

EvilC wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:19 pm Current gas outlook for this winter isn't that bad.
Where's that come from Evil? Have you got a source?